1/144 Authentic Airliners British Airways Boeing 747-100

And how beautiful she is, Ian. It is so wonderful to see an AA 747 built and displayed so well. And yours is the standard of inspiration for these beauties. Really love the BA livery...just makes the 747 somehow look even more "stately," and what's even MORE attractive is that she is a -100. Congratulations on a job very very well done. As for the base, it is just perfect...not too much so as to distract from the model itself, but you have accomplished what we all aspire to...getting the base just so as to enhance the presentation and make the model itself the subject of the photo. Very nice indeed. So she gets a WOW! :worthy:

On 07/05/2020 at 11:18, Turbofan said:

The Queen of the Skies, the Boeing 747

Hello Ian,

this is simply the best 144er i have ever seen!! And i am quite old.... :)

Cheers,

Tom

too bad, landor is my only and favorite livery from BA. but i understand and appreciate guys from UK like the historic stuff. i was flying with a landor 757 from TXL to LHR in the 90ies, i so muched loved the plane in these colors 🙂 i will definetly make one some day.

Whats up next on your bench?

11 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

And how beautiful she is, Ian. It is so wonderful to see an AA 747 built and displayed so well. And yours is the standard of inspiration for these beauties. Really love the BA livery...just makes the 747 somehow look even more "stately," and what's even MORE attractive is that she is a -100. Congratulations on a job very very well done. As for the base, it is just perfect...not too much so as to distract from the model itself, but you have accomplished what we all aspire to...getting the base just so as to enhance the presentation and make the model itself the subject of the photo. Very nice indeed. So she gets a WOW! :worthy:

Thank you Paul I'm glad you like both the model and the base. I still have a few finishing touches to add to the baseboard, a mist of white, black and grey over the taxiways to add a bit more texture especially on the tarmac as to my eye it is a bit 'flat' and also some lights down the edges and centrelines.

Yes I could have finished it as a -200 but felt there aren't too many -100's modelled and I wanted to redo my old Airfix model from the 70's.

I enjoy modelling liveries from the past as the research brings up memories of things like the old ad campaigns with 'Fly the Flag' and 'We'll take more care of you' plus who could forget the BA poster girl of the 70's Roz Hanby!

11 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That looks absolutely stunning! Amazing paintwork skill.

Cheers LR, it does help to have a good kit to start with though.

9 hours ago, replicant said:

Hello Ian,

this is simply the best 144er i have ever seen!! And i am quite old.... :)

Cheers,

Tom

Wow that's quite an accolade Tom, thank you!

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

She's a pretty one.

Yes I agree and she's not even a bus or a propliner!

1 hour ago, RCI said:

too bad, landor is my only and favorite livery from BA. but i understand and appreciate guys from UK like the historic stuff. i was flying with a landor 757 from TXL to LHR in the 90ies, i so muched loved the plane in these colors 🙂 i will definetly make one some day.

Whats up next on your bench?

Hi Sini,

Haha, well I have about 10 months worth of models on the go at the moment. Things have been building up waiting for some good weather so I can spray outside.

Currently in pole position is an Authentic Airliners Air Europe 757 and a Singapore Airlines 777-200 converted from the Zvezda -300 but the way things often work out with me either of these could be put back on the shelf and something else take their place I've certainly got enough on the go! I wish I could just work on one model at a time!

I was going to say if I did do a Landor livery it would have to be a 757 so you never know! Mmm maybe I could start another side project of a Landor and Union Flag 757 to go with my Negus one :hmmm:

1 hour ago, Captain Mark said:

Thanks for the link to those metallic sheets Ian, I might check them out and see how they stack up against the Bare Metal Foil product. 👍

You're welcome Mark, I've never really used Bare Metal Foil so I can't compare but I love the metallic decal it's so easy to use.

Cheers,

Ian

4 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Thank you Paul I'm glad you like both the model and the base. I still have a few finishing touches to add to the baseboard, a mist of white, black and grey over the taxiways to add a bit more texture especially on the tarmac as to my eye it is a bit 'flat' and also some lights down the edges and centrelines.

Yes I could have finished it as a -200 but felt there aren't too many -100's modelled and I wanted to redo my old Airfix model from the 70's.

I enjoy modelling liveries from the past as the research brings up memories of things like the old ad campaigns with 'Fly the Flag' and 'We'll take more care of you' plus who could forget the BA poster girl of the 70's Roz Hanby!

Cheers LR, it does help to have a good kit to start with though.

Wow that's quite an accolade Tom, thank you!

Yes I agree and she's not even a bus or a propliner!

Hi Sini,

Haha, well I have about 10 months worth of models on the go at the moment. Things have been building up waiting for some good weather so I can spray outside.

Currently in pole position is an Authentic Airliners Air Europe 757 and a Singapore Airlines 777-200 converted from the Zvezda -300 but the way things often work out with me either of these could be put back on the shelf and something else take their place I've certainly got enough on the go! I wish I could just work on one model at a time!

I was going to say if I did do a Landor livery it would have to be a 757 so you never know! Mmm maybe I could start another side project of a Landor and Union Flag 757 to go with my Negus one :hmmm:

You're welcome Mark, I've never really used Bare Metal Foil so I can't compare but I love the metallic decal it's so easy to use.

Cheers,

Ian

It is a glorified transit bus. :)

What a lovely result - both the 747 and the base!

I have never built an AA kit but seeing the results it’s certainly getting me thinking. In fact I’ve not being doing any civil modelling for a while but you’re getting the creative juices flowing with beauties such as this and as you say - nicer weather means it perfect for spraying outside. Hmmm...

Tom

Without a doubt that is the best 747-200 model I've ever seen! The winning combination of AA's accuracy the 'turbofan' build & finish make it a winner!

I must get around to building a baseboard like yours Ian, it really sets it off a treat for the photography.

Cheers

John

9 hours ago, tomprobert said:

What a lovely result - both the 747 and the base!

I have never built an AA kit but seeing the results it’s certainly getting me thinking. In fact I’ve not being doing any civil modelling for a while but you’re getting the creative juices flowing with beauties such as this and as you say - nicer weather means it perfect for spraying outside. Hmmm...

Tom

Thank you Tom!

Let those creative juices flow and get yourself an AA kit! The 757 is nice I've been decalling one this afternoon and it's one of my favourite kits but you'll not go wrong with any of them.

5 hours ago, Viking said:

Without a doubt that is the best 747-200 model I've ever seen! The winning combination of AA's accuracy the 'turbofan' build & finish make it a winner!

I must get around to building a baseboard like yours Ian, it really sets it off a treat for the photography.

Cheers

John

Thanks John! Trouble is it's a-100:giggle:

Yes it's one of my favourites. I just love the Negus livery.

I've added some detail about the baseboard in the making runway bases thread which might come in useful

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071969-making-runway-bases/

It's not expensive to make but does take up a lot of space. You can use both sides though so I need to come up with some ideas for the other side of mine.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

This is absolutely gorgeous! What a stunning build, those engine nacelles are beautifully reproduced. Love the overall finish, the AA window decals are fantastic, and leading edges just superb.

I flew on this jet to Miami in 1985 as a 10 year old kid, my first long haul trip and my first flight on a 747. Sadly as someone else pointed out this jet was the one destroyed at Kuwait during the Gulf conflict. Interestingly the wing gear from the aircraft was recovered and both sets are in BA's Waterside HQ at Heathrow spaced the correct distance apart to give visitors the idea of the size of the aircraft.

Beautiful,

Eng

Really nice.  I had to do a double take on some of those photos to confirm you hadn't snuck in a couple of the real aircraft

On 07/05/2020 at 12:23, Skodadriver said:

Whisky Delta was the aircraft involved in the 1990 Kuwait hostage incident (Flight BA149) so it's nice to see her represented at a happier time in her career.

You mean this one?  I took this photo a week or so after hostilities ended

34218112862_939291e6e7_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You mean this one?  I took this photo a week or so after hostilities ended

Yes, that's what was left. A rather unfortunate end but at least nobody was killed. 

On 12/05/2020 at 23:08, eng said:

This is absolutely gorgeous! What a stunning build, those engine nacelles are beautifully reproduced. Love the overall finish, the AA window decals are fantastic, and leading edges just superb.

Thanks eng! I used Mr Metal Color Aluminium which polishes up nicely with a piece of kitchen roll. I have used AA High Shine Metallic Decal on nacelles before but it does take a long time to apply and I couldn't face doing 4 this time round. I might be using it again soon on my Varig DC10.

On 13/05/2020 at 01:51, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Magnificent.  May I know please your secret for neatly separating the blue from the white and ensuring a straight line across the fuselage?  Yours is a really special bird.

Thank you very much!

For the separation between the blue and white I used 3M Blue masking tape burnished down with my thumbnail. To ensure a straight line I first drew a line with a soft pencil fixed at the right height along and around the fuselage which was kept level with a miniature spirit level. Masking along the sides is relatively easy with the full width of the tape but to follow the curved line around the nose and under the belly I cut the tape into 1mm strips with a scalpel and straight edge.

Hope this helps.

On 13/05/2020 at 07:08, Britman said:

Wot they said Ian, exceptional modeling and photography.

Cheers Keith! I must admit I'm not a good photographer but with a good camera and many, many shots I can normally find enough good pics to use.

On 13/05/2020 at 07:52, Chewbacca said:

Really nice.  I had to do a double take on some of those photos to confirm you hadn't snuck in a couple of the real aircraft

Thanks Chewbacca, I guess I'm doing something right if you thought it was real!

Cheers,

Ian