1/144 Authentic Airliners British Airways Boeing 747-100

Well here is the last of my British Airways Negus & Negus collection, The Queen of the Skies, the Boeing 747.
I chose G-AWND because it was the registration I built way back in about 1977 from the Airfix kit. I think as an 11 year old I was probably pleased with that model back then but I'm even happier with this one!

It is the Authentic Airliners kit with AA landing lights and cockpit and cabin windows and 26 Decals livery. The kit is very nice as can be expected from AA but it's heavy weighing in at 870g whereas my Qantas 747-200 injection moulded kit is only 240g.
Paint is Halfords Appliance White with wings and under belly Halfords Racking grey. The blue for the lower fuselage is a mix of Tamiya X3 Royal Blue and X16 Purple. Coroguard is Home Bargains automotive Grey Primer which I originally bought to try out as primer as it was so cheap, £1.99 I think. Not bad stuff especially for the price but it does take a long tome to really dry out. Engines are Mr Metal Color Polished Aluminium. Leading edges of the wings, vertical and horizontal stabilisers are AA High Shine Metallic Decal.

This is also the first outing for my new base board. The old one was getting a bit tatty but the final straw came when my daughter's hamster escaped one night and tore off loads of the grass mat. I'm quite pleased with the new design which I think adds a bit more interest than the old one.

So I've now built one of each of the aircraft which BA flew in the Negus livery (with the exception of the Vanguard but I don't remember seeing one of those so it doesn't count!) but of course that isn't the end as there are still many subtypes, eg Trident 1 and 2, Viscount 700, Standard VC10, TriStar 500 etc still to do so I don't think I'll be finished soon!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Ian

• Like 57
  • Thanks 2

Nice work Ian! I love the 'reflectiveness' you've achieved on the wing leading edge, it's something I struggle with occasionally. I'm curious to know what paint you used for it, or did you perhaps use bare metal foil or some such thing??

Hi Ian

That really is a magnificent model and a worthy finale to your Negus collection. It would be good to see a photo of them all together at some point. 875g is a serious amount of resin - I assume the landing gear is metal. 

The new baseboard looks great as well. I never noticed anything wrong with the old one but then again I didn't see the hamster damage!

Whisky Delta was the aircraft involved in the 1990 Kuwait hostage incident (Flight BA149) so it's nice to see her represented at a happier time in her career.

All the best

Dave G

An absolute beauty. I must try one of these Authentic Airliners kits one day, though I always have a concern with resin that it will warp. Meanwhile I will continue hacking, filling and sanding old plastic kits!

Thats a stunning result Ian.  no wonder your pleased with it. 

It's hardly surprising your taxiway needed re-surfacing when you consider the amount of traffic that has used it over the last decade. I'm with Dave on the picture of the whole fleet too.

All the best.

Chris.

Ian, love - pure love. this one looks so stunning, makes me thinking about building one as well... hmmm

waiting for something in landor livery from yours...

Thank you all so much for your comments I'm glad everyone seems to like it!

22 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

It would be good to see a photo of them all together at some point. 875g is a serious amount of resin - I assume the landing gear is metal. 

I'll have to see if I can find somewhere big enough to fit them all in Dave, there are 10 in all.

Yes the landing gear is metal but as there are so many wheels the load is spread out so I don't think resin would be a problem.

Interesting to know about the history of Whisky Delta I remember the incident but didn't know it was this aircraft.

22 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

An absolute beauty. I must try one of these Authentic  Airliners kits one day, though I always have a concern with resin that it will warp.

Thank you Chris! I really can't recommend them enough, you don't need to worry about anything warping. I was a bit worried to begin with but my oldest AA kits are probably 10 years old now and still have perfectly straight wings.

22 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Without doubt, the best 747 model I have seen on BM!

Thanks AD! 

22 hours ago, Parabat said:

Excellent model and great display.

Cheers Parabat!

22 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Lovely Jumbo Ian, the new base looks great as well

:thumbsup:

Thanks Ray I'm quite pleased with it myself although it's not quite finished yet. I still want to mist a few colours over the tarmac and concrete areas to add a bit more texture and maybe put some lights along the taxiway edges and centreline.

21 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wow! Absolutely beautiful aircraft and a build that more than does it justice. 

Thanks Adam, it does help starting off with a good kit, to think I was so pleased with my Airfix 747 way back when I was 10 or 11 but when I look back now it was probably atrocious!

21 hours ago, Chanex said:

What an absolute beauty Ian. A truly stunning build, you’ve done the old girl proud! 

Thank you Nick! Not seen any of your builds for a while are you working on anything at the moment?

18 hours ago, gazza l said:

Fantastic work, very realistic. Those cabin windows work so well.

gazza l

Cheers Gazza, as you've probably seen on my previous builds I'm a big fan of AA window decals I love the life they bring to a model.

17 hours ago, russ c said:

Awesome!

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Superb looking 747, absolutely gorgeous!

Terry

14 hours ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

Thank you guys!

14 hours ago, Moa said:

How very nice!

And that base is perfect!

Nice to see such building excellence!

Thank you Moa!

I'm pretty pleased with how the base turned out. It certainly is an improvement on the old one and should last longer without constantly having to repair it each time I want to use it.

14 hours ago, woody37 said:

Thst must be one large board Ian 😮

Stunning finish, it must be rather imposing in the flesh?

cheers

neil

Thanks Neil, yes it certainly has some presence but mainly it's when you pick it up, at nearly a kilo it would probably dent the floor if I dropped it!

The baseboard is 120cm X 90cm so in 1/144 it covers an area 170m X 130m. It came with a pallet load of flooring and as soon as I saw it I knew it would make an awesome model baseboard!

13 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

First class as usual. Very nice. I think you should share some pictures of your baseboard in the making runaway bases topic, I know I'd appreciate the masterclass.

Thank you! I do have one pic I took whilst I was painting it so I'll post it in the making runway bases thread.

12 hours ago, stringbag said:

Thats a stunning result Ian.  no wonder your pleased with it. 

It's hardly surprising your taxiway needed re-surfacing when you consider the amount of traffic that has used it over the last decade. I'm with Dave on the picture of the whole fleet too.

All the best.

Chris.

Cheers Chris! I'll have to sort something out for a pic of the whole fleet. When you finish your A300 you'll have to bring it over for a photo session, if they've lifted the lockdown by then of course!

11 hours ago, RCI said:

Ian, love - pure love. this one looks so stunning, makes me thinking about building one as well... hmmm

waiting for something in landor livery from yours...

Hi Sini, thank you! Yes I can definitely recommend an AA kit.

I'm afraid you'll have a long wait for anything from me in the Landor livery, let's just say it's not my favourite BA livery!

9 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Absolutely stunning build!

Thanks, a very enjoyable build too!

4 hours ago, ForestFan said:

This is a thing of beauty, very nice! You should also share more pics and an explanation of how you did the base for those of us less skilled!

Thank you, I think I'm going to add some info into the Building Runway Bases thread. It really didn't need any special skills particularly and wasn't expensive either.

4 hours ago, Timski1 said:

Outstanding build! The AA kits are fantastic and fun to build, fancy getting one of the 747s, want to make VA Maiden Voyager.   

Thank you very much! I very much agree about AA kits. I'd love to see a Maiden Voyager that would look awesome.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 11:46, Unfinished project said:

That is super sweet and would make a fantastic centre piece to any collection 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

Thank you! A very rapidly growing collection it is too!

Cheers,

Ian