Hawker Horsley

Martian

A few weeks ago, I rather rashly committed myself to doing a vacform tutorial on BM. Wanting to keep things reasonably simple, I scored an old Contrail Hawker Horsley at a low price on Evil Bay, which should fit the bill. I have trawled google for some reference material but could use a bit more, especially on the engine and any internals. Can anyone help so I can get things underway?

Martian 👽

• Like 4

A Contrail Horsley? You lucky so-and-so. Not really envious, honestly.

Apologies for the useless comment, Martian, as I don't have any Horsley details, but I'll be very interested to see what is offered for when I also manage to find a Contrail kit "at a low price"! Optimist, see...

Jon

• Like 1

I will look out what I have There is a very useful cutaway in Aeroplane by Frank Munger. The only published drawing I can think of is in the revised Vol 2 of Aircraft of the Fighting Powers. I have the former stuff and a dimensioned drawing of the Condor engine (Janes 1919) as well as the attached sheet from the AP. I do have a photo of the fuselage Blueprint somewhere.

Frankly I'd sell the Horseley to Jonners and demo something simpler. 😉  Note the offset cockpit.

John

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

Thanks John that would be really helpful. The heads up about the offset cockpit is something I had not picked up on.. I shall have to disappoint @Jonners. I could start one of my Contrail flying boats but I don't really want to embark on another long project before I have got the Lynx build put to bed. This shouldn't give much trouble and should provide some useful teaching points.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

That's a new one to me! Pretty handsome old biplane, and a torpecker hauler, to boot! Settling in at the bar and waiting for the fun to begin!

Got me to searching for more about it, and found these links that I hope will be useful for your build.

Mike

https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Visschedijk/Additions/Hawker_Horsley_3-view.htm

https://pixels.com/featured/hawker-horsley-fox-photos.html

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft26751.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That's a new one to me! Pretty handsome old biplane, and a torpecker hauler, to boot! Settling in at the bar and waiting for the fun to begin!

Got me to searching for more about it, and found these links that I hope will be useful for your build.

Mike

https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/Visschedijk/Additions/Hawker_Horsley_3-view.htm

https://pixels.com/featured/hawker-horsley-fox-photos.html

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft26751.htm

Thanks Mike. I have seen some of those pictures but there were a couple of very useful ones I had not seen before.

2 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi

You can find history and details in Aeroplane Monthly 246, October 1993.

Patrick

Cheers VG, unfortunately, I do not have access to that article.

Martian 👽

5 minutes ago, Martian said:

Cheers VG, unfortunately, I do not have access to that article.

Martian 👽

I have the paper copy but in my country house and so far we have been chained at home.

Patrick

• Like 1

I can supply Martian with the Aeroplane article which also runs into the November issue.and AFP plan as we are already in contact.

Comparing the drawing to photos the tail rib spacing is wrong as are the fuselage side stringers and I do know that the kit was in all probability made by Gordon (Sutcliffe) to the AFP plan.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John Aero said:

I can supply Martian with the Aeroplane article and AFP plan as we are in contact

That saves me from searching for my Database copy when I get home from work - I'm sure I have it somewhere...

I'm looking forward to seeing your article, Martin. It should be interesting and doubtless very educational!

Jon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Aero said:

I can supply Martian with the Aeroplane article which also runs into the November issue.and AFP plan as we are already in contact.

Comparing the drawing to photos the tail rib spacing is wrong as are the fuselage side stringers and I do know that the kit was in all probability made by Gordon (Sutcliffe) to the AFP plan.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, that is very kind of you.

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your article, Martin. It should be interesting and doubtless very educational!

Jon

You will be more than welcome Jonners. However, please be prepared for the usual mayhem that tends to follow my threads. We usually get there in the end though.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Following this with interest  years ago a bought a box full of ready made ( badly ) of interwar bi planes which contained the following

Hawker Horsley , Fairey Gordon, Fairey iiF , Fairey Fox , Westland Wallace , Westland Wapiti , Gloster Gamecock , Gloster Grebe , Vickers Vilderbeast

and many others , all needing restoration , if any one has any decal sheets from any of these kits I will be your friend for life. 😀 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martian said:

please be prepared for the usual mayhem that tends to follow my threads.

Ahem? Mayhem? Methinks you do protest too  much, my intergalactic glue monger! (Since we don't have Benny Hill anymore, you and @Moa will have to do!) :giggle:

Mike

Seriously, I will be watching this one with great anticipation, and with @John Aero's archives and assistance, I'm sure it will be a real looker! Neat-looking old bipe, that's for sure!

• Haha 1

By the start of the WWII two European nations still used the Horsley, The Greeks apparently used them against Italian shipping and as a bomber. The Danish version the Dantorp as the Leopard engined version was known, I believe it saw no action. Initially the Horsley was employed as a Day Bomber.  It was the winning competior against the Bristol Berkeley and the Westland Yeovill. It later served the RAF as a Coastal defence Torpedo Bomber.

Keith I may still have some decals for the Gamecock and Grebe.

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Ahem? Mayhem? Methinks you do protest too  much, my intergalactic glue monger! (Since we don't have Benny Hill anymore, you and @Moa will have to do!) :giggle:

Mike

Seriously, I will be watching this one with great anticipation, and with @John Aero's archives and assistance, I'm sure it will be a real looker! Neat-looking old bipe, that's for sure!

No pressure then Guys! I have ordered up a few odds and sods for the build and will be making a start upon receipt of the kit. Do be aware though, I will be keeping this build as simple as possible as the priority is to show people who are scared of vacforms and/or rigging that there is really nothing to be afraid of.

As to the mayhem, there are a number of BM members holding the exalted rank of "Usual Suspect" who will doubtless be contributing.

Martian 👽

Edit: Honesty compels me to admit that the other day, @general melchett claimed that I was the Chief Suspect. I leave the validity of that statement to your good selves. Kettles and pots?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, John Aero said:

The only published drawing I can think of is in the revised Vol 2 of Aircraft of the Fighting Powers.

I'm pretty sure it was drawn in Aviation News by Stair or one of their other regular artists.   That's a beautiful side view photo.  I recall some other excellent photos in those Aeroplane Monthly spin-off 'bookazines' on Inter-War RAF aircraft from a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

I'm pretty sure it was drawn in Aviation News by Stair or one of their other regular artists.   That's a beautiful side view photo.  I recall some other excellent photos in those Aeroplane Monthly spin-off 'bookazines' on Inter-War RAF aircraft from a few years ago.

Can confirm that - drawings by Ian Stair in Av News for 23 January - 5 February 1967. PM me your email if you'd like a copy.

• Like 1

Honesty compels me to admit that the other day, general melchett claimed that I was the Chief Suspect. I leave the validity of that statement to your good selves. Kettles and pots?

I think, by now, everyone knows this claim to be true old fruit, based on facts and evidence of the charge being readily available for public scrutiny provided by the many and varied posts, released by said Martian, contained within the site's database. I rest my case, M'lud.

Oooh, a proper kit, always nice to see a bit of sandpaper, sore fingers, aching wrists and creative swearing in action... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, mackem01 said:

This'll be one to keep an eye on for me, as I do love a bipe, but some of my finishing techniques are a bit 'agricultural'.

Crack on my good Martian.

It will be over in Work In Progress as soon as the kit arrives.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian said:

It will be over in Work In Progress as soon as the kit arrives.

Martian 👽

And I will follow this WIP as I have the Contrail kit somewhere in the basement ... until a Czech or a Ukrainian company produce an injected kit of her.

Patrick

• Like 1

"Damn the Milliput- full speed ahead! " :giggle:

Mike

@general melchett

Good to hear you're still with us, Andy- are you and yours OK in Bomber Country? (You are not, by any chance, working on a certain twin-engined RAF/RAAF torpedo bomber at the moment? Just askin'- I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force just now!)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, VG 33 said:

And I will follow this WIP as I have the Contrail kit somewhere in the basement ... until a Czech or a Ukrainian company produce an injected kit of her.

Patrick

Not until you have built it!

Keith

• Like 2

Good to hear you're still with us, Andy- are you and yours OK in Bomber Country? (You are not, by any chance, working on a certain twin-engined RAF/RAAF torpedo bomber at the moment? Just askin'- I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force just now!)

Thanks Mike, yes still here, all are safely gathered in. Melchett Towers is in full lockdown, everyone 'self-isolating' so it's business as usual here. I regularly feel a disturbance in the force, but put it down to the latest batch of Coypu burgers and Llama dung pies served up by the Memsahib in these troubled times...as for the aforementioned torpex bomber, well, I couldn't possibly say.

Hope all is well with you out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2