Jump to content

Recommended Posts

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

 

As someone who made many models as a teenager and then gave up the hobby due to life getting in the way, I have recently started to make a few kits. The quality has moved on significantly from the 70’s and 80’s which is great. Having made a couple of kits that I thought were ok, I decided to go public with this build. I know it will be a long way from some fantastic examples that I see on Britmodeller but I’m genuinely hoping for some constructive criticism, help and advice to improve.

 

Having a few issues with the first photos...

URL=http://imgbox.com/cho90qzv

Edited by Andy I
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that’s a damned  good start.

 

Welcome to the forum.

 

AW

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a couple of these in the stash, one destined to become an HC4 with folded head/tail and the other possibly an HM2 depending upon the scale of rework needed around the ramp area.  Both are several years away I suspect at the speed of my modelling so I'll tag along and watch this with interest if you don't mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png
 

I am going to try and replicate some of the detail in the picture above. I have a plan for the seat belts but the intercom cables are proving to be a bit of a problem. Creating the coils is fine but keeping them small enough to match the scale is proving more of a challenge. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The cockpit area is superb, nice one

 

As for the dangley wires all I can advise is use the finest wire you can find and wrap it round the finest wire you have

 

At least in big scale you have a chance to get scale looking wire

 

I am enjoying this, oh yes

 

 

WELCOME ABOARD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many here would argue against my pronouncements being referred to as words of wisdom but the way I will be approaching the same issue on my Lynx build, will be to coil a length of 5 amp fuse wire or similar thickness of Little Cars detailing wire around some brass tubing of a suitable diameter. Next slide the wire off of the tube and stretch slightly to open up the coils a bit and then glue each end into pre-drilled holes on the kit parts and the job's a good 'un.

 

Martian 👽

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some further work on the seats and now waiting for materials to attempt the intercom cables. NZ needs Amazon prime! The advice is much appreciated. spacer.png
 

spacer.png
 

spacer.png

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good........I especially like the wear and tear applied to the cabin floor.............very realistic

 

Keep up the great work, Sir !

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to confess the ‘wear and tear’ was a bit of an accident but it looked ok, so I left it alone. I started out with a bit of dry brush brown and then used Humbrol matt varnish to seal the decals, something new to me. I’m not sure if it is meant to be cloudy or I have a bad bottle but that’s how it dried. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent job so far! Pay no attention of me, I'm gonna stand over here and take notes.This pne I want to get to eventually.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2020 at 08:45, Andy I said:

I have to confess the ‘wear and tear’ was a bit of an accident but it looked ok, so I left it alone. I started out with a bit of dry brush brown and then used Humbrol matt varnish to seal the decals, something new to me. I’m not sure if it is meant to be cloudy or I have a bad bottle but that’s how it dried. 

That happened to me a few years ago.  Just finished off a 1/48 Me109 in UK markings as one of the captured aircraft flown by Winkle Brown and the final matt cost dried a speckly white.   I left it as was and made the case that it was salt residue after the great man had been testing its low flying characteristics over the English Channel!

 

Great work on that interior.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2020 at 10:37 PM, Andy I said:

spacer.png
 

I am going to try and replicate some of the detail in the picture above. I have a plan for the seat belts but the intercom cables are proving to be a bit of a problem. Creating the coils is fine but keeping them small enough to match the scale is proving more of a challenge. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

you might also try fine wire used in floral arraignments. What I've used is a 26 gauge. There may be finer gauge than that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2020 at 3:37 AM, Andy I said:

spacer.png
 

I am going to try and replicate some of the detail in the picture above. I have a plan for the seat belts but the intercom cables are proving to be a bit of a problem. Creating the coils is fine but keeping them small enough to match the scale is proving more of a challenge. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

Try contacting Paul Fitzmaurice modelling-tools.com, formerly little-cars.com.  He stocks a wide range of detailing materials and tools.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

That happened to me a few years ago.  Just finished off a 1/48 Me109 in UK markings as one of the captured aircraft flown by Winkle Brown and the final matt cost dried a speckly white.   I left it as was and made the case that it was salt residue after the great man had been testing its low flying characteristics over the English Channel!

 

Great work on that interior.

I haven’t worked out yet if it was operator error or I have a bad bottle of the varnish. A few tests required before I tackle the exterior.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...