AugustaWestland Merlin HC3

Lucky you, separate wipers!

Looks very good and yes gloss varnish before transfers then don't forget to mask the clear bits before you matt varnish the entire helo.

I use Tamiya TS series varnishes 79 and 80 for semigloss and matt.

• 2 weeks later...

After many hours of fitting hundreds of tiny black decals on a dark green model that will probably never be seen unless you have a magnifying glass, I think i am getting close to finishing. Its taken nearly 6 months and probably the best model i have built, but still lots of room for improvement.

spacer.png

Just realised that I missed painting some of the areas of black on the top of the cabin, there are decals but I prefer the painted look. This is going to be an interesting masking problem, advice definitely needed - apply a matt varnish to protect the rest of the decals first and then spray black or hope that any masking doesn't damage the decals already applied?

• Like 4

Just found this! A belated welcome, and what a fine job you are doing on the Merlin.

The type has lately become one of my favourite helicopters, not quite surpassing my love of the good old Sea King (it's my age you see). My recent enthusiasm for Merlins came after moving to the Dorset Coast a few years ago - they regularly provide low level entertainment around the Studland area transiting to and from Warships exercising in the channel. Beautiful beasts IMHO! I have a couple of 1/72 in the stash. Have often been tempted by the 1/48 offering.

Looking forward to seeing this one complete.

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely.  I have one in the stash, but I’m hoping someone will eventually bite the bullet and produce some transfers for the Junglie aircraft now the RN have taken them over from the Crabs.  Seems a no-brainer to me, but no-one has done it as far as I am aware

• Like 1

What Crisp?

@Ex-FAAWAFU

Such as adding ROYAL NAVY stickers to green ones?

P1130096.jpg

Or adding the tail fold and painting it Grey?

P1130233.jpg

Lookit the greeblies.

P1130234.jpg

ZJ127 was on display at Yeo just after she'd been hinged.

On my radar, should be easy on 72th scale.

Much harder in big?

• Like 1

I have been sitting quietly watching this build. I like the techniques you have used to produce a fantastic finished piece. Though mine will probably go back into the stash until the appearance of some RN decals. Thanks for keeping me very entertained.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

What Crisp?

@Ex-FAAWAFU

Such as adding ROYAL NAVY stickers to green ones?

P1130096.jpg

Or adding the tail fold and painting it Grey?

P1130233.jpg

Lookit the greeblies.

P1130234.jpg

ZJ127 was on display at Yeo just after she'd been hinged.

On my radar, should be easy on 72th scale.

Much harder in big?

I was thinking more the HC 4 (grey, folds tail) - though I could yet do a Pinger instead

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I was thinking more the HC 4 (grey, folds tail) - though I could yet do a Pinger instead

Grey is good. We get mostly grey around here these days, although last year I did see a couple of green ones.

This is a great thread Andy, and making me wonder whether I should add a 1/48 to my two 1/72 in the stash. Better still, I should actually build one!

Terry

• Like 1