AugustaWestland Merlin HC3

7 hours ago, Andy I said:

spacer.png

Many thanks to the suggestions for the intercom cables. My first attempt with 5A fuse wire wrapped around 0.4mm brass bar.

That looks like it worked well.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

The Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat ordered before the lockdown finally arrived today. Must resist and finish this one first! The intercom cables are all made and painted, the weather not looking great for the long weekend, so hopefully some progress to show soon. NZ gives you a day off work for the Queen’s birthday 👍 

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few views of the cables and harness. I suspect that a lot of it will be difficult to see once the cabin is all closed up but I know it’s there.

• Like 5

Does anyone have any suggestions for giving the seat belts a more used look? They look a little too clean to me, feel free to tell me I’m going too far as they will be difficult to see on the final model.

Hi Andy,

I'm glad you said that because I wondered that a few posts back.  I also think they're a tadge too wide

I would say that the first issue is that they are too yellow.  The straps have a distinct orange hue as you can see in these two images:

merlin2.jpg?auto=compress,format&ixlib=p

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/EHI-EH-101-Merlin-HC3-Mk411/871381

My suspicion is that by using Tamiya tape, they are too smooth.  Personally, I'd spray some tin foil with matt paint on both sides (sorry, can't advise on colour but the key thing is that it is matt) and when it's dry, cut the straps from that.  Tidy up the edges to avoid the silver bleeding through and then a very light dry brushing on the matt side of the foil with a light or mid grey followed by a coat of satin to give them their distinctive sheen.  Because the matt paint is slightly rough, it will pick up the flecks of grey in the dry brushing.  I suppose you could use a very thin wash instead.  

I have also used this technique with newspaper instead of foil and the roughness of the paper gives the dry brush a little more to bite on but the advantage of foil is that it sits more naturally where tape and to a lesser extent newspaper can bulge upwards.  Finally, as you refit them, don't forget that every strap has a smaller adjusting strap and buckle in black 😁.   (Sorry, I know that's a lot of extra work)

Hope that helps

• Like 4

I don’t disagree with you, thanks for the advice. This is the first time I’ve done anything other than add a few aftermarket resin parts. Definitely a learning curve for me. One for next time. For this I think too much damage will be done trying to start again (with my limited skills) so will experiment with some washes over the tape.

Nice work & good wires.  I was going to suggest the thicker acoustic guitar strings. The are generally copper wire wrapped around a nylon core.  If you cut the string & then pull the wire it unwraps off the core.

spacer.png

I’m hoping that someone can help. The picture isn’t the best but all of the windows have the same curved marks. I’m not sure if these are scratches or a flaw that runs though the whole piece. Any advice on what it is and, more importantly, how to get rid of it would be very much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

A bit of a leap forward from the previous pictures. The cabin is complete and masked up for final painting. The fit of these parts was a bit of a struggle, a combination of a very precise kit and room for improvement on my part. Also my first attempts with a dual action airbrush after much practice on paper, definitely more practice required!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I fear I may have been a little heavy with the overall green and covered a lot of the shading, but looking at a few reference photos it appears that there tends to be different panels that are different shades of green. Worth a try. The engine exhausts are also definitely the wrong colour.

• Like 5

Build is now complete and ready for decals. Historically I would have just applied them but having followed a number of builds it would appear that the way to go is a gloss varnish before applying decals. Any advice from the far more skilled than I would be much appreciated.