Hasegawa 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61-I Hien

Hasegawa's 1/72 kit of the Hien or Tony is an oldie and I've had it on my shelves for at least 25 years. It's one of their earlier, simpler kits but it does have the recessed panel lines we are all used to now. My boxing is from the 90s and I had a suspicion that the paint schemes provided were pretty inaccurate. Via Ronnie Olsthoorn I was provided with some more accurate side views and by painting the markings myself with a bit of help from the decal sheet from one of the newer boxings in my stash I believe I've managed to turn it into something a bit more accurate.

49864080346_5edca1d0af_b.jpg

49864070881_b1b28f8d19_b.jpg

Weathering was done by painting the kit in a variety of metal shades,  sealing this with future, applying IJA green, then sanding back the green. I'm satisfied with how this turned out. Spraying the hinomaru's was a pain as both my white paint and my red were end of life and with Covid-19 in the way I had no immediate way to resolve this, so they came out a bit ragged. Then again, that fits with the rest of the color scheme. Eduard's canopy masks were used, they were the old vinyl ones and they are hopeless, not sticking very well to curved surfaces.

49864380132_315e349fba_b.jpg

49863537518_d18bacf77d_b.jpg

Hasegawa's kit is of course a bit light on detail in most areas - I have the Tamiya kit in my stash and it is amazing what 30 years have done to our hobby - so I handcrafted a few things. Landing light was added, with the help of a sharp knife and a lens by Little Cars, Albion Alloys provided the pitot tube, EZ-Wire the antennae wires and Tamiya's tape department the seat belts. Finally, I used Quickboost’s exhausts. They are an improvement over the kit parts even though they are slightly undersized, a common issue with QB parts I find. Hope you enjoy it.

49862803652_0185d74e66_b.jpg

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 18

Very nice! The painting is very appealing. This seems to be  Kobayashi's Ki-61-Id '24' in the early camouflaged version. In this case it would be the long-nosed Hien. Could you add a profile picture of your model?