Italeri 1/48 F-4E Phantom - modding the wings to slatted?

WV908

Hi all,

Been on the hunt for a slatted wing F-4E Phantom at a reasonable price for a while and never find anything sub £50. The Italeri (ex-ESCI) Phantom E is readily available fairly cheap but has the earlier 'Hard Wing'. Does anyone have experience in modding this to rebuild it as the slatted wing?

As far as I understand it in modelling terms, I just need to add three bulges to the underside leading edges of the main wing sections to sort those, but can I cut off the leading edges of the outer wing sections, re-profile those, create a new leading edge and affix them with tabs? 

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

It would be better to fold some plastic card (say 30 thou) depending on the scale you're working in - I assume 48th) over the outer leading edge to impart a lateral curve then thin the rear edge to give an aerodynamic shape.

The existing outer LE flap then needs to be filed back about 2 mm, then the result filed to make a slope meeting the underside. Your manufactured slats should be about 2 mm longer than where the hard flap edge was.

Note too that each outer panel slat is actually split into two surfaces and rest on top of it with two outer hinges and central actuators.

Note also the outer slats only tipped up and down, they didn't move forward and back as you might expect.

Photos will show you what to aim for.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Reparty Thanks :)

Your suggested method certianly is food for thought and i'll weigh up my options when the kit arrives. Your method may well be better as, unlike the Hasegawa kit, the Italeri kit has the other wing panels split into upper and lower, meaning fabricating new single piece slats rather than trying to work with two cut off bits of leading edge.

Cheers,

WV908