RIP Florian Schneider.

The Strangler's Dave Greenfield earlier in the week, Kraftwerk's Florian today...  ...there's a good band assembling upstairs in 2020.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Kraftwerk were arguably one of the most important bands in the history of music. I read a compelling argument in one newspaper that proclaimed them the most influential band ever.

I'm trying to imagine my record collection without them or their influence and it's fair to say that a good half would be missing. They really were true pioneers.

I only got to see them play live once, but they were spellbinding.

RIP Florian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got to see them twice, once at the Brixton Academy in 1991 & again at Luton Hoo in 1997. I've been to many live shows but no one comes close for atmosphere & sound. They were obsessed with how they sounded live. I remember when I first heard them when I was a child & knew they were different, so I would buy their back catalogue & try to find other bands that were as good or sounded similar around the time when Kraftwerk started out, but there was nothing else. 

They say that Kraftwerk were the German equivalent of the Beatles but the Beatles drew on prior influences. Ralf & Florian wanted their own music and wanted to start a fresh for a new German Identity. What fascinates me is what was going through their minds late 1973/early 1974 because their sound changed so dramatically that even they have disowned anything prior to Autobahn.

Wez, I was very sad to hear Mr Greenfield died last Sunday. He also was a big fan of Kraftwerk. I also loved the Doors & would often think that Greenfield played like Ray Manzarek. I'm certain that Kraftwerk were influenced by the Doors sound in some ways.

R.I.P. Florian Schneider

• Like 3

I didn't realise David Greenfield died. Now Scneider. My back catalogue is dying off. Really liked Kraftwerk. 

I clicked on Vince's YouTube and was listening as I went into the back room where my boys are. They started dancing to it asking who they were. They loved it. 

Crosses the generations. 

• Like 2

To my mind not enough people realise how influential these guys were, influencing bands such as Joy Division and into New Order who will equally be given iconic status in due course

I saw them in Brixton too, phenomenal, RIP Florian.

Mike

• Like 1
13 hours ago, noelh said:

I didn't realise David Greenfield died. Now Scneider. My back catalogue is dying off. Really liked Kraftwerk. 

I clicked on Vince's YouTube and was listening as I went into the back room where my boys are. They started dancing to it asking who they were. They loved it. 

Crosses the generations. 

Play them Tour De France!

• Thanks 1

6Music are going to play the whole of Trans Europe Express from noon as a tribute to Florian.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Play them Tour De France!

Thanks,ashamed as i am to admit it i'd never heard or this track even though i had a couple of their tapes....

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Wez said:

6Music are going to play the whole of Trans Europe Express from noon as a tribute to Florian.

Yep, listening right now even though I could easily play the CD!

• Like 1

What's so interesting about The Model is that while it's as perfect an 80s synthpop song as you're likely to get, it was released (on the Man Machine album) in May 1978.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Vince, Tour de France wasn't released on any of the old albums that's probably why you might not have heard it.

Cheers,it's definately time i invested in a couple of their albums...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Vince1159 said:

Cheers,it's definately time i invested in a couple of their albums...

A good album to start on is Trans Europe Express. The 3D live compilation is another good entry point as it has all the classic tracks on there, live & really good sound quality.

• Thanks 1

I have an export of The Mix on vinyl which is the German version of that album as I always thought their language suited the tracks far better. I feel a nostalgic vinyl playing session coming on 😊

Mike

• Like 1

My first album I bought was Kraftwerk, 2nd hand mind, but still the 1st...... Makes you think that others are getting older too,  Jean Michel Jarre is 71, even Mike Oldfield is 66, they were all so young when I 1st got into them, but then, so was I 🙁

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Toe said:

My first album I bought was Kraftwerk, 2nd hand mind, but still the 1st...... Makes you think that others are getting older too,  Jean Michel Jarre is 71, even Mike Oldfield is 66, they were all so young when I 1st got into them, but then, so was I 🙁

My first album was Oxygene by Jarre. It vanished at some point, either one of my sisters' friends nicked it or one of my sisters gave it away. I was properly mad. I loved Tubular Bells too and the fact that Mike Oldfield was a pilot helped with that. 

• Like 2

I joined the RAF in 1976. I took my record player with me to Halton for trade training.

A guy on my course swapped his Autobahn LP for my Simon & Garfunkel 45 of the boxer.

I've been listening to Autobahn off and on ever since. I already loved Tubular Bells, and last night I was listening to Jarre's Equinox.

RIP Florian and Danke sie for the music.

• Like 2

Sleep well Florian - shame he didn't rate a mention on the BBC TV NEWS - such an influential man.

My personal favourite is Neon Lights.  I used to have the 12" luminous green vinyl pinned on my bedroom wall as a lad.

162051156630.jpg

...why did I sell it :doh:

• Like 2

I didnt appreciate Kraftwerk during my youth, but as my tastes matured, I re-discovered them and fell in with all my might. 

What a ground breaking talent!

• Like 1