Best varnish for High Shine Alclad

MarcV

Let me beat everybody to it. 

I apologize for posting this here but cannot find a forum suitable for my question so any advice on re-direction is welcome.

I'm finishing the Kitty Hawk RF-101C which is actually a wonderful kit if you take it slow. I'll be finishing it in the Sun Run option in as highly a polished bare metal finish as I can manage - authentic or not. I'll be using Alclad Polished Aluminium and Aircraft Aluminium mostly for that.

Question is Alclad is pretty rugged but I would prefer a high gloss varnish to offer some protection. Any suggestions as to the best varnish to use that would retain the Alclad shine as much as possible?

Thanks all,

Hopefully not off-topic, but has anyone airbrushed ALCLAD II gloss Klear Kote over decals?  Does it cause them any damage?  I was going to use it as the protective clear on a project because I've heard that it behaves well and is self-leveling.

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon my ignorance of metallic paints and finishes - would plain manual buffing With a cloth work better, rather than sealing with a varnish/lacquer?

I don’t know how much metallic model paints oxidise over time, or what appearance said oxidisation has on those  paints...

Sigh (nostalgia attack) I remember good ol’ rub-n-buff. Sigh!

Edited by Blimpyboy

The high shine Alclad ( highly polished aluminium and Chrome) are a bit more fragile than their regular metallic finishes, so I would avoid buffing them. I usually buff the other finishes a little to remove any dried paint ( rare). The Alclad is quite a hot lacquer so on a warm day there is a potential for the paint to dry before it lands and the carrier flashes off.  The main reason for the clear coat is a barrier to washes and deca l solutions.  The finish is shiny enough for decals without clear coating, but I would imagine it would be hard to cover any carrier film without a clear coat.  Its not like rub and buff - there are other products like the Mr Color Super metallic and the AK true metal paste that responds well to buffing ( but need to be sealed).

• 3 weeks later...

Have heard AK Gauzy is good over metallics, don't know about over Alclad specifically though.  Wrt Klear/Future, from experience I wouldn't brush it on, I did that on my Mig-21 and I'm sure it filled panel lines in.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Forgive my ignorance, but why brushed on? Could it not be sprayed? 

It can, but it is self-levelling, so tends to work better by brush. It can be thinned with distilled water too, but watch for runs.

Andy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Thanks Andy

I find that something like a 6mm brush works well but it has to be soft and flat. Brush the Klear on slowly so that bubbles don't form.

• Like 1