Broplan 1/72 ATR 72

Hi all, I am another lurker (mostly) just wondering if this topic may be of interest, This is Broplan's vacuum formed ATR 72-500 converted to a 42-300 by shortening the fuselage and changing the engines and props...amongst many of the changes! It took over three years of off and on struggle to get to this point and while not perfect it is as good as I can get it with my abilities (having never before tackled a vac. kit) The sponson was rebuilt with a wood master, cast in resin cleaned up and recast (in case I had the energy to build the 2nd kit in my stash...I don't) the engines were also modified with molds and casts being done there, an interior was built...the list goes on and on but, here's a couple of images to show the kit in it's finished...sorry built, state. Nothing I build is ever truly finished.

QH39uaE.jpg

Ln8Z69T.jpg

xQHQsS5.jpg

VnlvqmI.jpg

Z214VGY.jpg

uGKrXHO.jpg

IAYHzzU.jpg

• Like 44

Looking at the model, I'd only know you've never done vac' because you told us. Very very nice build. I've never built a vac' kit and this tempts me to give it a try.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

That is a gorgeous build!

Belonging to the Fraternity of Vac Builders, I understand the endeavor!

Glad you posted it (them!)

They are a pleasure to contemplate.

Next time, a WiP, so fellow modelers can have a glimpse at the mysterious world of vacs.

Cheers

Oh I've got WIP pictures! going back to the start...

12 minutes ago, NavyWessex said:

Nice work. Wouldn't mind a go at this one myself. Is the Beech 1900 the kit from amodel?

The 1900 is the Amodel kit with Arctic decals on it

Thanks to all for looking, comments! 

4 minutes ago, chrispisme said:

Oh I've got WIP pictures! going back to the start...

The 1900 is the Amodel kit with Arctic decals on it

Thanks to all for looking, comments! 

How did the Amodel kit go together out of interest? Their Jetstream was a bit of a pig.

The Amodel 1900 (I thought) was quite a nice kit. it needs some refinements here and there but built up very nicely I tossed the clear parts and made my windows from clear packing tape and the exhaust stacks from sprue, the blade antennas from sheet plastic and collision lights from missile seeker domes.

Thanks for the interest!

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very nice!

I wrote to owner of Broplan e-mail  with link to your model :)

Regards

J-W

Thank you very much sir!

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Beautiful models, quite apart from the ATR being an expertly handled vacform.

Kind regards,

Joachim

definitely NOT the easiest kit to cut my first vacuuform kit teeth on!

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Nice to see you posting here Chris and nice to see 'finished' shots of the ATR.  :thumbsup:  I have been following your civil builds over on Scalemates.

It looks great, I need to build up the courage to attempt the Broplan kits it have.

9 hours ago, Moa said:

That is a gorgeous build!

Belonging to the Fraternity of Vac Builders, I understand the endeavor!

Glad you posted it (them!)

They are a pleasure to contemplate.

Next time, a WiP, so fellow modelers can have a glimpse at the mysterious world of vacs.

Cheers

Here is a link to some of Chris' build pictures on Scalemates

Beautiful model you've made there.

I've flown on ATRs a few times on my trips to Malaysia (internal flights obviously, don't think one could quite make it there from England), not the most comfortable landing I've had but certainly a good looking aircraft. 

Thank you very much! You’re all very kind with your comments!

no one mentioned it but it’s been bugging me, the stance is (was) too nose high, I have since these pictures cut off the nose oleo and shortened it to a more prototypical stance.

Again, thanks to all who have looked and commented on it!  
It is very appreciated 

Finishing a Broplan kit is an achievment all in itself. That is a very pretty model of an ATR 72. Congratulations 

I have been working on  Casa 235 on and off for about a year now so I empathise  with you. Welcome to the guild.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice builds, both of them, and quite an achievement by the sounds of it.  I didn't know that there was a 1/72 ATR available, although I have seen the Beech for sale before.  I've flown on both types on domestic routes here in NZ.  The Beech was weird, I call it the flying fridge because of it's comparatively square section interior; and if I remember rightly you have to step over the main spar as you walk towards the rear of the cabin.

You've done a fantastic job on that vacform, let alone the fact that you've gone and done some big modifications as well.

Well done :worthy:

Cheers

Gaz