This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

I've just seen this on the news:

Tom Cruise is hoping to blast into the Hollywood record books by shooting the first action movie in space.

Nasa is working with Cruise to film aboard the International Space Station.

There are no details of the film, but Deadline - which first reported the story - said it would not be a new instalment of Mission: Impossible.

The report also said Cruise, 57, is also working with Elon Musk's SpaceX, which will transport two US astronauts to the ISS for Nasa later this month.

Nasa administrator Jim Bridenstine wrote on Twitter: "Nasa is excited to work with Tom Cruise on a film aboard the Space Station!"

I caught that on the news this morning.

Could be fun, will look forward to it. Shame it won’t be a MI film though.

Graham

Ground control to Major Tom ...

Can we get a small calculation error in the orbital mechanics? Say, swap feet for meters or something?

Can we leave him there?😉

Allan

How much would we have to pay him to stay up there for good?

Chris. 

I wonder if this is because space flight will make him taller for a while?

Dave

I apologize for this being off-topic, but I think its a fun "fact" and worth sharing....

I'm assuming that everyone's familiar with the theory that the passage of time is affected by gravity (the greater the local gravitational field, the "slower" that times passes). Using this as a base, there is a theory that our heads could be very slightly older than out feet. The theory states that because our feet our nearest the gravitational source (The Earth), that time will pass very slightly slower for them. Don't get too excited though... if the difference exists at all, it will be so tiny that it would be almost impossible to measure. Isn't science cool?

Chris. 

They actually did a test on your theory @spruecutter96, by sending up one of two twin brothers that were both astronauts.  The one that spent a year on the ISS (I forget his name - little guy, no hair) came back a fraction of a millisecond less aged than his brother who had stayed on terra firma.  it was quite an interesting documentary, but not quite hollywood drama.  The lesson learned?  Go live on a mountain for long life.

5 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

How much would we have to pay him to stay up there for good?

You can't do that!

There are agencies planing on how to reduce the rubbish in orbit

https://www.space.com/24895-space-junk-wild-clean-up-concepts.html

Don't add to their problems!

We will end up paying a terrible, terrible price, either way, Black Knight. Just you mark my words, Sah!

Chris.  

3 hours ago, Mike said:

They actually did a test on your theory @spruecutter96, by sending up one of two twin brothers that were both astronauts.  The one that spent a year on the ISS (I forget his name - little guy, no hair) came back a fraction of a millisecond less aged than his brother who had stayed on terra firma.  it was quite an interesting documentary, but not quite hollywood drama.  The lesson learned?  Go live on a mountain for long life.

I usually bathe in Johnson's Klear twice a week. Don't know if it will make me live longer, but my skin has taken on a lovely, shiny lustre...

Chris. 

PS: How do they know that the astronaut brother was a tiny bit younger than his brother? Did they cut him in half and count the rings? This science-stuff is way too blimmin' complicated for the likes of me.

On 02/09/2020 at 10:21, Albeback52 said:

Can we leave him there?😉

Allan

2nd that.  Along with all the other minted "space tourists" queuing up.

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

PS: How do they know that the astronaut brother was a tiny bit younger than his brother? Did they cut him in half and count the rings? This science-stuff is way too blimmin' complicated for the likes of me.

Genetic assay - tested both before and after, then compared. Genes wear out (ask me how I know) at a specific rate, and as they're twins they should have remained in lockstep. They weren't, but only by a very small amount. A very clever experiment, I thought.

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

You really should know better than to ask questions like that of me.  Ask an adult next time, like John :clown:

27 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Genetic assay - tested both before and after, then compared. Genes wear out (ask me how I know) at a specific rate, and as they're twins they should have remained in lockstep. They weren't, but only by a very small amount. A very clever experiment, I thought.

See?  Speaking of which, is it the Telomeres? (sp?)

On 5/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, bootneck said:

There are no details of the film, but Deadline - which first reported the story - said it would not be a new instalment of Mission: Impossible.

"Top Gun - 3. Space Tropic Thunder"? 

s-74b207f6e56278e82f781b2a25932e97bf152f

😉😁

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I usually bathe in Johnson's Klear twice a week.

After this bath, do you usually use Tamiya or Valejo washing?

😁

On 5/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, bootneck said:

Tom Cruise is hoping to blast into the Hollywood record books by shooting the first action movie in space.

In the nineties, such an idea wandered in the fragile minds of Russian directors, to send some Russian actor (in my opinion it was Vladimir Mashkov, who by the way later starred with Tom Cruise

in Mission Impossible), and maked movie on space station "Mir", but then they did not find money, it seems.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

Genetic assay - tested both before and after, then compared. Genes wear out (ask me how I know) at a specific rate, and as they're twins they should have remained in lockstep. They weren't, but only by a very small amount.

Thanks for the answer, John. They can do this sorta stuff, but they can't find a COVID 19 vaccine (yet). We live in a strange, weird, unusual world, methinks.

Chris.   

7 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

After this bath, do you usually use Tamiya or Valejo washing?

😁

Usually just roll around in the rose-beds for ten minutes. Works for me....

Chris. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

You really should know better than to ask questions like that of me.  Ask an adult next time, like John :clown:

See?  Speaking of which, is it the Telomeres? (sp?)

Steady on, Mike! They don't even let me hold scissors these days...

Telomeres, yes. As I understand it, at least :frantic:.

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Thanks for the answer, John. They can do this sorta stuff, but they can't find a COVID 19 vaccine (yet). We live in a strange, weird, unusual world, methinks.

Chris.   

They've had a few decades head-start on genetics, so it's understandable. That said, the progress so far on COVID-19 vaccines is nothing short of amazing... fear may be a great motivator, but collaboration has been the key so far.

14 hours ago, Mike said:

The two brothers were Mark and Scott Kelly. Incidentally, Mark was aboard the International Space Station when his wife Gabrielle Giffords was shot and wounded in an attempted assassination  in January 2011.

Edited by Mick4350

3 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

They've had a few decades head-start on genetics, so it's understandable. That said, the progress so far on COVID-19 vaccines is nothing short of amazing... fear may be a great motivator, but collaboration has been the key so far.

Call me an old cynic, John, but the COVID vaccine will be worth 100's of Billions of dollars once its developed. 

Chris. 

15 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

when his wife Gabrielle Giffords was shot and wounded in an attempted assassination  in January 2011.

Had never heard that. :o I'm off to Google now.  EDIT: Jeez.

8 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Call me an old cynic, John, but the COVID vaccine will be worth 100's of Billions of dollars once its developed. 

Chris. 

Oh, absolutely - but without the collaboration, the speed of development remains the same as for any vaccine. Let's hope a vaccine isn't rushed out before being fully tested.