Tamiya 1/72 De Havilland Mosquito Mk IV

The Mossie was always my favorite when I was a kid, ever since I watched 633 Squadron! I've always wanted to make one, but either couldn't afford it or was worried I might not do it justice... I've ogled the Tamiya kit in numerous model shops over the years, decided the time had come to pull the trigger on one! This kit was a pleasure to build, but I've had a really hard time painting it - my Humbrol enamels weren't curing even after a day or two. I'm used to being able to recoat after 6 hours with these same paints! I wondered if the Tamiya plastic it's made from maybe wasn't compatible, but on consideration maybe it was some mold release material on the plastic? I usually scrub it all with a toothbrush loaded with fairy liquid while it's on the sprue, but this one I just gave a quick rinse. Anyway , I got there in the end, and fairly happy with the outcome. Varnish is Humbrol Gloss and Matt Cote, and weathering is my first effort at doing this with water colours.

0ReeJ43OfM3wnAtDvrOspKeRQ50-gGB19NmZlOAb

9PLtJcMykCjmbPm2OH2lZ952DVMcBZt4I4zGdUsN

iYDtPUwM6jlRFgdwB7rbRgBqJg-CV9x_8bXrvtYS

V_h5tY2oGvHRUBH_wg98j5Npwnrbw5UelOHBsP4D

7lHUsyMyBf24aWl94_98zSjotieuhpgFK4bA1kbI

E2wmcxerBWcoe-y3tortfLkJxxS6F8mFld2DJeT_wgMr94urWzA3Tcx7jHCUsPghiXiKxW5El7K8KGGm

As I suspected, the details of the cockpit can't really be appreciated through the glass. Luckily I tooks some photos before I put it all together!

mRhtOLWHZwMt2yr3nyRPbIxeME7r9cyISy6Joqwqh5KeyeOG_bxUK2c6bedBs4kJRRyi9eDXz-Q2s0Ra

Anyway let me know what you think, any helpful tips or suggestions gladly accepted.

• Like 25

Very, very nice! I also succumbed to the allure of this kit a while back and did mine up as the PR.IV option. There's just something about the shape of that glazed nose tucked in between those beautifully streamlined Merlins that speaks to me.

Did you have any trouble with the Tamiya decals? The radiator 'no step' markings gave me a bit of a hard time and it took quite a bit of Decalfix to get the darn things to bed down properly.

I'll have to pinch your technique of using an old toothbrush and neat dishwashing liquid to prep the sprues. Up to this point I'd been just swirling the sprues in warm soapy water with judicious use of a dishwashing sponge, which is not really the best for small parts.

Yeah the decals were a bit challenging, as you say the radiator markings looked like they were goig to be absolutely dreadful but I gave them a few goes over with Revell Decalsoft and they settled in quite nicely.

Marvellous Mossie....  The ariel wire looks good, I don't bother now at 1:72 but admire those who can get that right....

Did you use the canopy internal decals?  Very fiddly those decals, I reverted to brush painting them on my recent Tamiya Mossie FB Mk VI.

I soak the sprues prior to build in warm soapy water (washing up liquid) with a few drops of vinegar for a few minutes.

Yeah the canopy decals were very fiddly! Got them on in the end though. The ariel wire is uschi rigging, I bought a spool to rig a Hawker Fury, and can't resist any excuse to use it now!