After Journey's End - RAAF 451 Squadron Mk XIV ***FINISHED***

With my other build rapidly coming to a finish and still plenty of time in the STGB, barring some disaster, I decided to do another build. This time the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk XIV in RAAF 451 squadron markings.

I have found the two Australian squadrons 451 and 453 quite interesting. Both remained in the European Theatre as part of the Occupying Forces. Hence, my topic title "After Journey's End", alluding to a period after war's end and the VE-VJ Group Build that is just about to commence.

The Mk XIV came into service with 451 and 453 at the end of 1945 with both squadrons deployed in Germany.  It is always tempting to build 453 squadron with the Fox Uncle squadron code (or Freddie Uncle or Foxtrot Uniform depending on the era) and the photographer always made sure he got a photo of K for King (port fuselage). I have built a 453 squadron subject previously, D-Day Mk IX FU-N, and having the Xtradecal sheet for the Mk XIV with 451's NI-K NH895 decals made my decision easy to select this subject as the next build.  

As mentioned I am using the latest Airfix 1/48 boxing plus a little PE (IP and belts) and resin (wheels and exhausts).

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_1

These are the chosen markings - very standard.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_2

Inspecting the sprues we find no disasters with the exception of a short shot or break off in the mould of one prop tip that I will have to repair or hunt for an appropriate aftermarket solution.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_3

Should be fun … 

Ray

• Like 6

And we're racing!

I spent an enjoyable evening dry-fitting - Yes! Really!  My principle is to try to build without filler - OK a little CA or Mr Surfacer 500 allowed. I know on the Airfix Mk XIV there can be issues in at least 4 places - wing root, fuel tank armour plate, air intake and cowl rocker covers. So a little pre-planning and adjustment is in order. Like most, I hate filling wing roots so this was the first point of attack.

Here's the result of a little work.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_4

Both wing root gaps closed up nicely.

All I did was add 0.4 mm card packing to the undercarriage and fuselage location blocks as follows. This ensured a very positive engagement in the bottom wing and splayed out, ever so slightly, the bottom of the wing fairing. This did the trick.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_5

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_6

Check that the undercarriage legs have not angled out too far and all is good. Quite a simple fix. I may still glue the wing top half to the fuselage first, to be doubly sure of no gap. Even then, the above mod, will ensure I get better alignment on the bottom wing and those split canon fairings.

You will note I have also already glued in place the cockpit sidewalls. I prefer this method to making up a cockpit bucket and pushing it in later. I also prefer working on the whole sidewall for detail and painting.

Now, if it's Tamiya, well yes, I'd probably go with Tamiya instructions with the usual solid click and perfect alignment. Other kit manufacturers? I am a little more nervous and prefer this technique. I just tack the top edge allowing me to adjust the bottom join in or out as necessary while dry fitting and checking alignment of the bulkheads and other paraphernalia.  Airfix has done a good job on this. The fuselage sidewall indent provided provides an accurate location to tack in place the sidewalls. Here is the Airfix sidewall bottom joint; tacked at the top only. The IP bulkhead just sitting in place - nice alignment - lovely.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_7

I find the cover over the front fuel tank is not quite the disaster as I have seen made out in some reviews. The gap is small (see top picture) and it is easy to splay out the bottom slightly to give the necessary step out. I'll probably glue a thin piece of card on the front, shaping and finishing appropriately. The part will then be the right size before putting it in place. By doing it this way, I can preserve a panel line without a double line or needing to re-scribe. The rivets will be retained be it that they will be pushed back slightly. When and if I glue that seam I'll use CA. Tamiya thin will melt the thin packer added.

I think the one area where I will fail will be those cowl rocker covers. Might need a small amount of filler. Not much really. I'll play around a little more to see how it goes together and if I can improve things and then into the cockpit.

I do not know if Airfix has changed anything on the quality of this kit but mine looks a beauty. Even if you do not want play around like I have and are happy to use the smallest amount of filler, the kit is going to build up real nice. 

Ray

• Like 9

Hi Ray,

Another kit I have in the stash so I'll be following with interest. Already you've provided some very useful tips!

How do the Xtradecals look? I've used them before and whilst the quality is generally good they can be on the thick side and hard to get them bedded down.

Best wishes for the rest of the build.

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
typo

I have been preparing all the parts for painting. 

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_12

The Airfix kit has a very nicely detailed interior OOB. I have chosen to add a little Eduard Zoom PE for a touch more fidelity. It's one case where basic base colour (interior grey-green) first and then add to it. It should come up nice. First job though, is to spray everything in my preferred black.

Most the time has been spent cleaning parts, drilling holes, and such things as thinning all trailing edges, seat sides and the back seat armour down to something more like scale thickness. As always, the simple little things improve the look.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_8

Like recent Airfix efforts it is a wonderful subject, some exceptional parts and engineering and then some injection moulding head shaking moments. That D-Frame! If you are unhappy with your skill at separating parts from the sprue, buy yourself this kit. You'll get plenty of practice. By the end of it you'll be an expert.

It's a funny kit, in some areas it almost feels limited run. But, look how gorgeous is that control column -correct number of pneumatic hoses, nicely shaped spade grip fulcrum casting, gun camera button and gun/cannon rocker switch. Nice one. I still need to thin that brake lever somewhat.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_10

I replaced the instrument panel with my preference - Eduard PE. I find their dial indication is not over done. Too my eye they look pretty darn realistic - certainly their recent efforts. Then, if you use a wash, carefully applied around the dials, you can tone down the vinyl look. I use Tamiya Black Panel Line Accent Color which flows nicely and drys with a matt finish. It is also thin so any detail gets toned down without being lost. Once done leave as is. No buffing or clean up unless you have made a mistake. If needed, I'll pick the gauges with Future or equivalent but this one looks OK as is.

Looks like somebody bolted the instrument panel to a fence paling.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_9

Time to fire up that airbrush.

Ray

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2020 at 10:26 PM, Johnson said:

How do the Xtradecals look? I've used them before and whilst the quality is generally good they can be on the thick side and hard to get them bedded down.

Hi Charlie,

Well they look good and offer a very nice selection of options. I cannot comment on their accuracy, they're certainly OK for my subject. Colours, alignment, minimal carrier film all good. They do not seem excessively thick. The proof will be when I use them. 

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_14

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_15

Ray

• Like 5

They certainly look good Ray.

As you say colours and registration look spot on. The ones I had trouble with were for the 1/72 Spit XIX and may have been an older production. I'm sure they will be fine.

I'm now ready to assemble the cockpit. Here's a few photos before most disappears. 

Starboard Side

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_16

Port Side

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_17

Other Items

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_18

I did the usual with the Pilot's oxygen hose, wrapped 0.2 mm annealed copper wire with 0.2 mm lead wire painted with Gunze Sail and a brown wash and flat clear coated. Dissimilar metals but I'm yet to see any galvanic corrosion having used this method before. Ends yet to be trimmed.

One tricky bit coming up is with the Eduard steel seat belts. I have to get a tight bend around the bracket on the head rest armour and back down the back of the seat support frame to where the tensioner was relocated on the bubble top Spitfires. The tricky part is bending the belts once only smoothly and not having the vinyl coating crack and open up.  I'll probably bend it around a suitable mandrel (a drill bit). We'll see how I went in the next instalment.

Ray 

• Like 14

I really like this...

The cockpit is very nicely done, I like particularly like the painting and the odd bits that have been added so it looks very authentic without being overdone.

I’m  also very interested in the ‘build without filler’ mantra. I try to do this, but adding shims and so on as carefully as you have with multiple dry assemblies is a step further along than I have gone. I’ll certainly be following as I am sure I will learn a lot that’s really useful. Thank you for posting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Livingston said:

I really like this...

The cockpit is very nicely done, I like particularly like the painting and the odd bits that have been added so it looks very authentic without being overdone.

I’m  also very interested in the ‘build without filler’ mantra. I try to do this, but adding shims and so on as carefully as you have with multiple dry assemblies is a step further along than I have gone. I’ll certainly be following as I am sure I will learn a lot that’s really useful. Thank you for posting. 

Glad you like it Bill and thanks for the nice comments. We'll see how close I get to my goal when I zip it all up over the weekend. The reality is that the quality of my Airfix FR XIV kit is good and gaps are not that big an issue anyway. I was expecting worse.

Ray

• Like 1

I successfully bent the Eduard belts and now ready to close everything up. Pilot's seat and oxygen hose in place. I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of that starboard cockpit side for posterity before it disappears. Although that's not really the case - with an open door and canopy, Spitfire cockpits are always worth spending a little extra time.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_19

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_20

The cockpit was a nice little project in its own right. Airfix gives a really good basis to work with.  

Ray.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Sublime. A work of art

Thanks Charlie, really it's a combination of Airfix, Eduard and a little bit of me. It'll be good to work on something a little larger and give the eyes a rest.

Thats a fabulous cockpit, Ray. Really well done. 

Is the bulb holder for the three spares for the reflector sight part of the Airfix cockpit, or did you add that yourself (its a very shallow moulding on the Eduard). Your oxygen hose looks good. I made mine the same, but the wiring slipped and the 'rings' are not as uniform as yours. Where did the placards come from? Are they part of the Eduard set for the Airfix? It may be worth buying some for my remaining Eduard sets... they look really good and liven things up a lot. 

Very impressive... 

Hi Bill, Hope the crew remember to stock the spare bulbs before he flies. It's Eduard PE as are the placards. This is in their Zoom set for the Airfix XIV and I think worth it. 

• Like 1

Here's a few pictures of how I attacked the Airfix Mk XIV fuel tank cover.

The problem is the bottom sides are pinched in too much, not reflecting the slightly thicker plate around the fuel tank, it should be a little proud of the surface. Then there is an unsightly gap front, back or both, I suppose, depending on the quality of your particular kit and how you position the cover. I found mine not too bad, really, and most will be happy with their kit with a small amount of filler. I thought it a reasonably simple mod to overcome the need for filler and any re-scribing. Hopefully you might see some value in what I did.

First, I removed the 4 locating tabs inside the cover and glued some card to act as location strips to the inside of the fuselage. If you do this the cover will be pushed out and finish nicely flush. I wanted it slightly proud so I glued some brass strip cut from an old fret to the inside of the cover to push it out just a little bit more. I also slightly chamfered the top edge of the locating strips so it would push on nicely.  I also had to trim a little from the firewall bulkhead and inside the cover to ensure it sat flush. Note that without the bottom wing in place you can work top and bottom as need be.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_22

Here's the result. The shadow is making it look too proud although if so it is quite easy to sand it down a little.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_23

I then cut a piece of polystyrene card that would fit nicely to fill the gap at the front and wedged it in place to check.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_24

I then pulled it apart and layed aluminium foil where I did not want the glue to go - the love/hate relationship of capillary action. Then gently wedged the piece in being careful not to tear the foil. You need to wedge in the full assembly of cover and packer together. It's easier than it seems. Note the change to a rubber band for clamping.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_25

I could then make an opening in the foil on the underside and using a micro brush glued the inside edge of the packer and cowling with extra thin cement. The Tamiya Brush ain't long enough and its lid blocks your view. Make sure you glue the correct side!

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_26

I let it set and then dismantled it.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_27

I reinforced the inside of the cowling/packer with CA/talc mix and let that set before shaping the packer to match.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_28

I now have a very nice drop in piece with no extra work expected.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_29

I will check it with a quick spray of under coat before fitting it to the aircraft to ensure there is no seam. If there is, this will easily be addressed with Mr Surfacer or worst case a little CA.

Ray 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I also like the link in your title to the Journey's End GB, great idea.

Thanks Charlie, I originally planned to build a XIV in the Journey's End GB and then discovered the Australian's 451 and 453 squadron were flying the XVI in Europe through till September 1945 so pulled it back into the Spitfire STGB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Nice build Ray - look excellent! 

Thanks Peter, I'm really enjoying this kit.

It's coming together nicely.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_32

All that hard work at the start to try to eliminate any seams is now paying off. No filler required at the wing root.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_31

I also shimmed the join in the air intake to make it a fraction wider to eliminate the gaps on the sides. Position of the camera makes it look larger than it is. The change is minimal but worthwhile. I'll glue it in place later.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_34

And finished thinning all the trailing surfaces before closing it up. The Airfix wing trailing edge OOB finishes at a thickness of 0.7 mm. That's a full size 34 mm. Looks much better now. A must on many kits.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_33

Just a passing comment,  this build reinforces just how beautifully slim and streamlined is the Mk XIV. I find the Griffon Spitfires look more Schneider Trophy heritage than the earlier marks. This is one fine looking aircraft.

Spitfire_XIV_Construction_35

Ray

• Like 8

And this is proper modelling!

Your work on the seams, or rather, your work BEFORE you need to deal with the seams is awesome. Thank you. Most of us can learn from this approach... 

The most rewarding thing is you are preserving the elegance of the beautiful fighter... wonderful stuff...

• Like 1