P-47D Thunderbolt color help ?

Hello everyone... Ive built numerous Thunderbolts over the years and have tried to get this correct but never seem to. Ive seen many photo’s over the years, both b&w and color. I have seen aluminum finish, YZC, and interior green on the insides of the cowling and supercharger intake. So which is accurate for a 509th Fs. 405th Fg. post D-day these are the markings I'm going with.
tt3FyaI.jpg

Research says it most likely a D-28-RA 42-29147 if that helps. Second question is about load-outs, Im planning on going with a 108 gallon paper-tank on the centerline. Then triple bazooka and bombs on the wings ? I think thats a decent standard load-out for use at that time. Just to confirm the gear bays are YZC correct. 

Dennis

In case you're wondering I have eight builds on the go. I'm trying to keep all the info in the brain-case. Time will tell if I'm successful ? 

Dennis,

Per the IPMS Stockholm website, which includes research by @Dana Bell:

Interiors of P47 aircraft cowlings were natural metal. The aluminium in this area was anodised giving a darker and very dull greyish appearance. The engine firewall was left unpainted. Engine mounts were primed in Zinc Chromate Green.

All other interior surfaces of the fuselage with exception of the firewall were finished in Zinc Chromate Yellow. This included also wheel wells, undercarriage covers and armament compartments in the wings.

Here’s the link to the site: https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-ii/

I recommend reading all three parts in your spare time. Gives great background info on the actual paints/primers, and then has great info as to where those particular colors went. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Dennis,

Here’s the link to the site: https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-ii/

I recommend reading all three parts in your spare time. Gives great background info on the actual paints/primers, and then has great info as to where those particular colors went. 

Thanks I will read through it tonight. 

10 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

Unless you have photo showing bombs and triple bazooka, recommend going with one or the other, not both

I have a photo of a 9th A.F. history stating the load-out, triple bazooka tube and 250lb bombs with centerline tank was the most common and preferred. Im hoping a history page counts as good as a photo ? However am still looking for photo’s.   

6 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Dennis,

P-47 cowling interiors were indeed left in natural metal finish, here's a couple of photos to prove it. First is taken on the actual assembly line at the factory...

spacer.png

...and the second is in the field, check out the cowling covers laying on the ground behind the crew chief.

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Unless you have photo showing bombs and triple bazooka, recommend going with one or the other, not both

Here's a couple, feel free to use that load-out, uncle Corsairfoxfour.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2