Scratch building a walker

So for some unknown reason I have had a bug that bit me in regards to sci fi tank walker mech thingies. I guess that would be a simple way of describing it.  Anyhow I'm really thinking about scratch building a "walker" and I'm at a bit of a impass on whether it should have 4 legs or 2. Mind you I have zero skills when it comes to making anything out of nothing.

With 2 legs I'm probably going to use Bandai's 1/48 AT-ST as a base with the legs and changing some stuff up here and there. It won't be manned so I won't bother with the crew compartment and will have to come up with something else. 

If I go with 4 legs I am looking to use pieces of machinery sourced from WH40k kits. Again it still wouldn't be manned. 

Whatever option I end up using my ultimate goal is to utilize it in a diorama. Think 'Transformers 3' but not with Transformers. 1/35 scale military figurines engaged with a foreign robot/mech/drone type of design in a urban setting. Trying to shoot for the machine being roughly 30-40 feet tall scale wise versus the figures. I made a sketch earlier today but I dunno if I should post it as it probably looks like something a 3rd grader made.

Thought I'd throw this up here and see if I can get any help brain storming this out.

• Like 1

Zach, go for it. I've built a few, I'm doing one at the moment. Have a look for my builds in Sci fi. You'll need a good box of bits, I use mostly tank parts and some household items.

You need to look at stuff that's ready to throw away in a different light. Have a wander around this site http://maschinenkrueger.com/forum in the fan design gallery.

I've used the AT ST before but it needs work to disguise it's origins, or it just looks like an odd Star Wars object.

Try this is one, it shows how I made the legs and will save you the expense of a Bandai kit.

Good luck and if you post your build I'll keep an eye on it to try to help. Pete

Wow thanks Pete. The build showing how you built the legs is especially interesting. I've seen the Maschinen Krueger stuff before and don't really feel it's my cup of tea or so to speak. Too steampunk in my opinion and not really the more contemporary style I am going for. 

I've got plenty of ideas I'm just not sure which direction I should go in. 2 or 4 legs. It'll be man-made so I want to steer clear of anything that looks to have had extraterrestrial influence. 

Just off of a few hours of brainstorming I came up with a setting in and around the year 2048, a certain prolific Asian nation has made massive leaps and bounds in military technology. They set out what they've been touting to do after decades of touting global expansion, specifically within the Pacific region. There has been several years of peer level warfare however towards the date I'm going for they introduced (insert combat walker tank looking thing) for more urban and jungle type environment's and Allied forces fighting against the aggressor are still having a difficult time trying to find better ways of combating them.

Anyhoo that's the what I've got on paper. I don't want it to look sleek like something outta of a movie (RoboCop ED-209) and I don't want it to look like some garage door was slapped together with sprockets (steampunk). 

I've come across many amazing concept renderings from artists all over the interwebs and there are quite a few that fancy my eyes. Not really sure if I can or should post some here to get a better understanding of the look I'm going for. Again though I can't seem to settle on the number of legs.

Hope this gives a better picture of the madness in my head.

• Like 1

We all have a madness in there. It's just the depth that varies.

I'd suggest doing some mock ups using card and coffee stirrers. Maybe some putty or spackle to add curves. Plastic bottles etc from around the home.

That way you can visualise where you want to go at a very low cost in time and money.

Do please post when you get around to the real build, this is a friendly site and you will get plenty of tips and suggestions.

Cheers, Pete

• Thanks 1

Model Collect makes several walking tank style models in 1/72. They're under their Fists of War series. They're pretty much all based on German WWII armour. There are 2,4 and 6 legged ones. They might give you some ideas. 

Carl

• Thanks 1

Excellent idea about doing a mock up Pete. That's great advice.

Carl I knew about Model Collect as I've been an aircraft need patiently waiting to see how their A-12 model turns out. What I didn't know however was the rest of their Fist of War stuff. Appreciate it.

I had an night of a few too many pints last night and ended up buying some figures off of evilbay. They're coming from China and I probably have a high chance of never seeing them and going through the process of getting my money back but only for a few bucks it may be worth to wait and see. Here's some examples of what I'll be trying to use in this setting.

HTB1ujzJaFzsK1Rjy1Xbq6xOaFXa0.jpg

1-35-U-S-Seals-Anti-Armored-Resin-Soldie

HTB10lGgaNrvK1RjSszeq6yObFXan.jpg

To make this even more epic on the opposite side of said diorama I will try and create an APC that arrived on scene to either evac the squad engaged with the Walker or to render fire support. Not sure of that either but I've got a long way to go.

• Like 1

You've mentioned being unsure about whether to go for 2 legs or 4 legs, but have you already decided on other important aspects about it? I think there are quite a few other considerations that would influence how to progress - the most obvious one is just the basic theme. You've said Sci-fi but that could cover all sorts of things here! For example:

A Steampunk Mech that's more of a 1800s design like a combination of a walking ship and automaton with large boiler engines, brass, pipes and anachronistic weapons

A Dieselpunk design could be something something that's more like a bulky walking tank with a casemate/chasis as the body and a tank turret as a head. Could use WW2 tank or plane kits as a basis.

Zee-rust (the idea of making something 'futuristic' looking in a way that makes it now looks outdated) or retro-scifi e.g. that sort of bulky, unsophisticated, industrial design yet still somewhat sleek design of classic sci-fi ships like Alien or 2001, or maybe a more sleek yet odd style something like the sci-fi art of Chris Foss for a slightly otherwordly

Atompunk, maybe something soviet cosmonaut inspired

Etc. Quite a few different themes that could contrast nicely with using modern soldiers/equipment for the other side of the diorama.

I've thought about doing something similar to that Diorama idea a few times before, although my idea was with a 3D-Printed Combine Strider from Half Life 2!

Edit: Did miss what you said a few posts above, woops!

Edited by TheVoidDragon
  • Like 1