RCAF C-47 Target Tug picture

Wm Blecky

I came across a very unique looking RCAF C-47 Target Tug.  I was not able to find more info, but if anyone can help out, I'd appreciate it.  I plan to do a few RCAF DC-3s / C-47s and this one is now at the high end of my list!

spacer.png

I am speculating that this aircraft would have period RCAF paint scheme with the striping being yellow and black as well the letter codes in yellow with black outline.  I would also go as far as saying that the roundels on the wings have a silver surround.  The challenge for me would be to come up with correct code letters.  Also, the it would be great if I could get a better picture of the window 5th down from the front.  It looks enlarged and possibly sitting proud of the fuselage.  My guess would be that a similar window is on the other side of the aircraft.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

I can give you the stripe widths: wings 72", fuselage & tail surfaces 24". The stripes are painted in Black 10-1 & Yellow 5-2. This is from "Royal Canadian Air Force Aircraft Finish and Markings". I'll see if I can find out what colour "5-2" corresponds to

EDIT: Go here and scroll to the bottom....http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colour_Guide/aircraft_clr.html

Edited by fubar57
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2020 at 8:06 PM, Wm Blecky said:

I came across a very unique looking RCAF C-47 Target Tug.  I was not able to find more info, but if anyone can help out, I'd appreciate it.  I plan to do a few RCAF DC-3s / C-47s and this one is now at the high end of my list!

spacer.png

I am speculating that this aircraft would have period RCAF paint scheme with the striping being yellow and black as well the letter codes in yellow with black outline.  I would also go as far as saying that the roundels on the wings have a silver surround.  The challenge for me would be to come up with correct code letters.  Also, the it would be great if I could get a better picture of the window 5th down from the front.  It looks enlarged and possibly sitting proud of the fuselage.  My guess would be that a similar window is on the other side of the aircraft.

There were several of these.  The yellow was 'Yellow 5-2' and black was 'Black 10-1'.  These were covered (including drawings) in the RCAF finishing and markings books.  They were 72 inch stripes on wings and 24 on tail.

PM