I would like to join this with my Dragon 1/48 Ju 188A1 torpedo bomber.  This plane was one of the last Ju 188's in the war. They were sent to Norway in the last few weeks to attack shipping.  By the time the war ended they had only done one or two missions without loss. 

I have started this plane, but haven't got very far. Haven't even finished the Cockpit. 

To be honest I may not get it done in time, but being here will help with it's progress. 

I have resin wheels and Metal gun barrels for this one on top of the usual PE and masks.

The colour scheme will match the last torpedo bombers schemes. Which is quite different to what is shown here.

The photo I have put up shows where I'm at with the project. Sorry it is a bit blurry I'm a bit shaky today. 

Ju 188A-1 boxt

Ju 188 A-1 image1

• Like 12

Greg,

As James says, it's a good choice, I'm quite fond of the Ju-188 (well, any of the Ju-88 series really).

This one is well within the 25% rule.

Welcome along.

This is my proof that these planes were around in May 1945.

I will most likely do the one shown here, but without the radar. My excuse is I can't see it in the photo. 

But the main reason is I don't have it in the kit. 

Ju 188A Norway May 1945

• Like 6

On 13/05/2020 at 05:27, Richard502 said:

What book did you find the photo in? I like the informative text.

Richard

Luftwaffe colours 

Sea Eagles  volume two.

Luftwaffe anti-shipping units 1942-45

By Chris Goss

• Thanks 1

I have been working on the cockpit PE today. Rather fiddly to say the least. I think it will take two days to get it done and I'm not doing all of it. It gets far to small to handle. 

Images will be posted when it's done.

I've been having a break from the cockpit today. Instead I have been putting the wings and engines together. Lots of glue.  I have to open the window or I would get high.

The parts went together well. It makes a change from the ICM kits where you have to put together detailed engines. This is so much easier. Tomorrow it will be back to the cockpit.  Might get some images up tomorrow. 

Thanks. The engines are on now. I should have the fuselage together tomorrow.  Fixing the wings will be a problem I think.  Reini said his father's one had a tight fit.

Mine is rather loose. This is an issue because the wings are not straight.  They are  slightly cranked like a Stuka. This will make it hard to get right. Still I will see tomorrow as we have a long weekend here. 

I've had this one in the stash for a while now, and it's nice to see one built.  I think Revell are bringing this out again soon in collaboration with Dragon, so maybe we'll see a few more of them, and some more aftermarket too :)

The one I have seen being re-released is the Ju 188E which is the bomber version.  This one is the Ju 188A which is the torpedo bomber. I do hope they bring out the Ju188A as well. The torpedos add to the look of this model.

It's looking very nice so far Greg and I think it's the first time that I've seen an armoured pilot's seat like that - it's pretty impressive!

Cheers

This is my latest progress on the Ju 188. I have added the Bf 109E which I'm also working on to add a bit of colour. That build has a bit of history behind it which I will out line at a later date. 

Yesterday I did a lot of joint treatment and gave it a coat of Mr finishing surfacer 1500 which turned out well. This morning I re-scribed the panel lines. 

Then I decided to bit the bullet and remove the chin part of the cockpit because it wasn't sitting flush enough.  This is because I had forgotten to install the cockpit's front lower panel and had to get it in after I had the cockpit in place. This meant it most likely wasn't installed properly.  As a result the chin clear part didn't fit properly. It left a gap at one end which I filled with a bit of plastic strip. This also resulted in the part sitting a fraction proud of the fuselage part. I've been trying to accept this, but in the end I realised it wasn't good enough and pulled it off this morning and reduced the butting surface of the lower panel until the chin part fitted correctly. Now it is just a case of tidying it up. Well worth the effort. 

I have temporary added the canopy for painting. I'm doing this one with the old method of using black pre shading panelling. This will happen tomorrow. The props have been assembled and painted in RLM70. 

Ju 188A image 6

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Latest progress  is I have pre-shaded the plane. Hopefully this afternoon I will paint the lower surfaces RLM65. 

Last night I put together the torpedos.  

Good progress so far, one of the things that put me off of these kits (apart from the cost), was a good mate of mine had a real filler fest with his kit, you seem to have avoided this, well done!

A thing about the colour, is it really RLM65?  I can quite believe it but I was under the impression that just about everything coming of the Junkers production line from mid-1943 onwards was in RLM76 although that may have only been the Ju-88's - it's been a long time since I researched Luftwaffe stuff to any depth and I could well be wrong. 

One thing I've learned is that end of war Luftwaffe camouflage is an utter minefield and they used what they had, also trying to interpret B&W photos, period colour photos or even intelligence reports is a nightmare (to the laymen RLM65 which is a greyish blue, and RLM76, which was originally a bluish grey, unless you had an RLM colour chip chart, could look very similar).

At the end you have to go with what evidence is before you.

Please don't take my question on the colour as a criticism, more a point for discussion, I used to be utterly fascinated by Luftwaffe stuff 25 years ago and perceived knowledge has moved on a lot since I took a deeper interest.

• Like 1

I have a book that tells me the main paint colour for these last Ju 188A-1 was RLM70, RLM71,  and RLM65 with RLM76 squiggles.  

I do have dealts about the RLM65, so may overspray it with RLM76 tomorrow.  I think it would look better. I haven't had a lot of trouble with this kit.

It is more like a big 1/72 kit than an ICM kit. Any trouble I have had is more my own doing. However, I'm not there yet.

Just so you don't think  this has come to a  screaming holt. I'm in the process of masking for the RLM70. When I masked off the lower RLM76 surfaces I broke one of the tail planes. The annoying thing was I was putting on the second to last piece of masking tape. This put me back a day. Still these things happen and the RLM71 went on easily. 

This is the latest progress. I will show it now before I ruin it doing the squiggles. I had problems painting this because I didn't clean the fuselage parts which must have had mould release on them because the masking pulled the paint off when I did the RLM70. 

Still after repair work it is done and any blemishes will be hidden by the RLM76 squiggles. 

Ju 188A image 7

• Like 5