1/24 scale Airfix re-releases

Peter Roberts

Ok, I confess. I've bottled it. Again.

It's back in the loft!

I've got so many other projects on the go I really can't spend the time on this right now. 

Maybe when I get the memo about Hell freezing over or Nelson getting his eye back.....

Right, back to the more pressing electronics projects.

Where's me soldering iron?

Rick, Chicken Brown.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2020 at 7:45 AM, Rick Brown said:

I seem to remember a build that involved a metal wing spar to help with the wing root strength and dihedral issue.

I can't see it kicking around anymore.

Anybody have a link by anychance?

Rick.

Not convinced I have enough time in my life for this build..

I made one with thick plasticard and glued and braced as much as I could within the confines of the wings. Took about 3 days to clamp up the middle and each side at a time. My rough template 

Spar

Need to find the other pictures I took, I’ve deleted them off Flickr but should have them somewhere 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found some. 

1/24 Spitfire

It was simple but it worked. 

1/24 Spitfire

slots cut into the wings for the spar to pass through 

I also added some flat plates to the outer wings to stop the tips drooping 

36931918693_9b8358ea3c_b.jpg

It’s hard to tell but there was definitely a more correct dihedral 

36891778694_d57e901775_b.jpg Spit

I got the spar to pass behind the rear firewall but I didn’t use the engine at all anyway so it could be a bit rough and ready  

I built the kit as it was a £15 Debenhams one bought for me. I remember lightly wet sanding the airframe rivets back to smooth them all out, looked And felt a lot better to my eye. I closed every panel and boxed in the wheel wells

1/24 Spitfire Spitfire

I’d build another if it wasn’t for the annoying main undercarriage legs, too long and I fitted them solid early in the build so always getting knocked and in the way. 

I don’t have it anymore, sold handsomely on eBay to sit on someone else’s large shelf ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I found the other day that I still have my Airfix Spitfire book. Dated 1971. I still haven't built one though :laugh:

Crikey, thirteen quid on the big river site. I think it was originally about One pound twenty!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51DtrupmqLL._SX371_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Chrisrope.

Stop it! Your build makes me want to get it out the loft again!

Very nice, and thanks for the tip about the wing spar etc. I'll print this out and throw it in the box.

Cheers.

Rick.

• Like 1