1/24 scale Airfix re-releases

Peter Roberts

I have read that Airfix intend re-releasing their 1/24 Spitfire, Hurricane and Me 109 kits. 

Model Monkey have announced their intention of producing some detail sets for the Spitfire - any news of other sets from other after market companies?

The Model Monkey stuff looks good. As for other aftermarket suppliers, there has never been more than a trickle of stuff for any of these old '70s 1/24 kits.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-1201-supermarine-spitfire-1a--134304 has a pretty solid listing of everything I've heard of.

As we come up for the 19th release of the 50 year old Spitfire kit, with the other kits not far behind, I can't really imagine why this time would be much different.

Glad to see they've gone back to the good box art though.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

They are certainly fetching a healthy price at the moment on the pre-owned market

Well, quite!

I have one of the newer releases of the Spitfire.

Jeez. Way to much work involved to build it.

Are the moulds really up to it anymore?!

They need to retool a completely new model IMHO.

Rick. 

10 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

I have one of the newer releases of the Spitfire.

Jeez. Way to much work involved to build it.

Rick. 

The Wing gun port holes were mostly mis moulded on my last build so had to be covered but otherwise pretty much what you would expect from a old kit, got mine for 15 quid in Debenhams, Built 2 spits and have 2 hurricanes to go at some stage. The sell for silly prices in the shops like €65. Should be something like €20 max.

They turn out to be impressive size wise. Where to put them though!

44620302231_6e68b75439_b.jpg586_8696 by Georgeconna, on Flickr

Edited by George Norman
  • Like 4

On 5/6/2020 at 4:38 PM, George Norman said:

The Wing gun port were mostly mis moulded on my last build so had to be covered but otherwise pretty much what you would expect from a old kit, got mind for 15 quid in Debenhams, Built 2 spits and have 2 hurricanes to go at some stage. The sell for silly prices in the shops like €65. Should be something like €20 max.

Yup, I think mine was about £15 about ten years ago. 

Started it, got a headache and boxed it back up.

More pronounced rivets than a box of randy frogs.

Rick.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Agreed. You really need a 1970s example to see it at its best - which from my point of view is still well worth building - but the recent releases are not great apart from the very nice decal sheets, which I have bought separately from Airfix when the kits are in stock in order to go with my stash of older kits.

I do think a new 1/24 Spitfire, ideally a IX, would be an excellent move for them, the 1970 kit tooling is really worn out now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Agreed. You really need a 1970s example to see it at its best - which from my point of view is still well worth building - but the recent releases are not great apart from the very nice decal sheets, which I have bought separately from Airfix when the kits are in stock in order to go with my stash of older kits.

I do think a new 1/24 Spitfire, ideally a IX, would be an excellent move for them, the 1970 kit tooling is really worn out now.

I was going to mention the decal sheet. They are indeed very nice. 

It's time for a rerun of the old Airfix rant.

I love Airfix for all the right reasons.

However, their constant ability to re-release old (and usually very poor) kits, marketed at youngsters (or their parents buying them a huge box to impress little Johnny on his 10th birthday) must put potential customers off modelling for life!

Really, how many of these kits really get built? They may get started on the day of delivery, then never see the light of day again.

Now, their current marketing with the "Vintage Classics" range is a different thing altogether. At least, to the more experienced modellers, we know what to expect when we open the box.

I know they have to make money, but they also must realise they can't just sell old kits to make a fast buck, because ultimately they will put people off the hobby and loose potential customers long term.

Rant over.

Sorry.

Rick.

Furlough is obviously getting to me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

The 1/24 Spitfire still has the most accurate rendering of the surface textures on the real thing that you can find, even in an Eduard box...

beat,

M.

It does, and has a very good overall shape too. Which is why I still consider it a worthwhile project, if you can find a decent example. But the tooling really is very tired now.

Edited by Work In Progress

Sigh.

Ok then.

I'm going up into the Loft Of Doom and digging mine out.

You never know, furlough could last for a few years yet, so I should have plenty of time to wrestle this monster into shape.

Anybody know any good posts to help tackle the beast?

Rick.

Can't believe I fell for this.

You lot will be the death of me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

I know they have to make money, but they also must realise they can't just sell old kits to make a fast buck

To be fair, they did start branding them as classic kits now, including 'classic' style boxart as opposed to the ooh aah shiny new stuff containing a 1960s worn out kit...

• Like 1

I suppose it’s a bit odd we don’t have a really good to Tamigawa standards Spitfire 1 Battle of Britain era model in either Airfix 1/24 or 1/32 from another manufacturer come to think of it. If I recall the closest might be that one from Revell that got a few rotten tomatoes 🍅 chucked at it and it’s not BoB either if I remember

11 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

The 1/24 Spitfire still has the most accurate rendering of the surface textures on the real thing that you can find, even in an Eduard box...

beat,

M.

Agreed, although perhaps a little too pronounced. The old 1/32 Revell kit is also one of the best for surface textures, more refined, but lacking the overlapping panels. Nice to see Eduard at least making an attempt at getting it right. Special Hobby (1/48) got the panelling but no rivets.

8 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Sigh.

Ok then.

I'm going up into the Loft Of Doom and digging mine out.

You never know, furlough could last for a few years yet, so I should have plenty of time to wrestle this monster into shape.

Anybody know any good posts to help tackle the beast?

Rick.

Can't believe I fell for this.

You lot will be the death of me.

Good man! :) 

Isn't there a BoB GB starting here soon?

• Thanks 1

It be Huge!

Looks like I did actually start it.

Even spent a bit on upgraded parts.

Nice decals. Bit matt though.

y4mjoHYV95R5FnwysYhMFhvIOzi2DJpvsLR577cM

y4mbfHvxqfbqUGrc_EThrmkWKDqOeZFjwBsGm6-G

Rick.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

@Rick Brown this was my best shot, quite a lot of years ago:

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7701-7800/gal7766-Spitfire-Bacon/00.shtm

best,

M.

I seem to remember a build that involved a metal wing spar to help with the wing root strength and dihedral issue.

I can't see it kicking around anymore.

Anybody have a link by anychance?

Rick.

Not convinced I have enough time in my life for this build..

If you look at my Spitfire Pic the Decals for the roundals are pretty poor where the blue meets the red it is darker, I could not be bottomed throwing more bucks for a set replacements TBH.

Good luck with your build Rick, Just enjoy it for what it is!

• Thanks 1