Seek and Destroy- Tornado GR.4 1:72

"Seek and Destroy"

41 Sqn's finest

49860553792_ea2eb5d0e8_b.jpg

Hi everyone!

Time for another Tornado build I think, this time of a 41 Sqn GR.4 in 1:72 scale. Let's get cracking, then!

The Subject

So the first visit I ever had to an operational fast-jet base was back in August 2017. Me and my dad tottered on up to the fence one morning while on holiday in Lincolnshire, and we were fortunate enough to see a mass launch of Typhoons. Around lunchtime, when most of the Typhoons had returned from their morning launches, we decided to walk around to the BBMF end of the base. As we rounded the corner I noticed an engine note which didn't sound quite like a Typhoon we'd become accustomed to...

... and there she was:

49860262811_5be2938c41_b.jpg

This was the only time that I managed to see a "live" Tornado on the ground before she was retired from RAF service in April of last year. We watched as the crew taxied her to the runway and took off, never to be seen again (as it turns out, the very same aircraft was to reappear at RIAT in the "617 Sqn formation" with the Lancaster and F-35, which I'm trying to re-create to some extent in 1:72 scale). We were fortunate enough to then see a practice display by the RAF Typhoon team, followed by a totter around the BBMF hangar and a practice QRA scramble that same day. As we returned home from the holiday we stopped by Coningsby again and for the first time saw the Lancaster take to the air, having failed for many years to see her at airshows due to weather. So that's where my love of this particular airframe began.

The Build

This is a kit that I'm sure many will be familiar with, the venerable 1:72 Revell Tornado GR.1. The surface details and construction are exceptional for the scale and is really the only real option for a Tornado in this scale, but alas it required a FLIR pod and some cockpit scratchbuilding to bring it up to GR.4 spec. Freightdog provided the FLIR pod and Master Models provided the brass pitot tube and AoA probes. Decals came from the Xtradecal Tornado Retirement Schemes set.

During my 1:32 build of ZA326 (the raspberry ripple Tornado- link to build here) I've built up quite the reference archive. Armed with that, I decided to edit the 1:72 kit to resemble ZA560 as I saw her: flaps/slats down, auxiliary air intake doors open, a variety of cooling doors open, the CAGNET aerial (thanks to these guys for their help) and a variety of other small details. The one thing I would have done differently is to replace the nose of the kit with a resin one, but hey, I think it just about passes? As with the real thing I had to salvage parts from another Tornado, in this case it was one of the nose wheels which decided to go walkies (or perhaps roll-ies?)

Sadly, due to a lack of additional decals I wasn't able to follow the exact scheme/decalling as I saw her in back in 2017, but it was still the same airframe nonetheless. I can live with it! You might notice the different coloured stripes of the underwing fuel tanks, these were present on the real thing at the time- i masked and sprayed on the grey stripes; given that the grey stripes that came with the kit decals blended in perfectly with the paintwork....

As always, Vallejo Model Air paints were used; USAF Medium Gray for the main colour, some panels were picked out in Light Gray, with the nose being Sea Grey. Weathering was achieved with a mix of diluted black/brown paints and the fabulous UMP Earth weathering wash.

But you're here for pictures, rather than my ramblings, and pictures you shall have!

49860553232_6a503f6018_b.jpg

49860240951_b8fe57dd62_b.jpg

49860546902_a238225475_b.jpg

49859702328_c72dc21f0a_b.jpg

49860551132_20827b3212_b.jpg

49859705318_5db726ce02_b.jpg

49860241546_e519976926_b.jpg

49859704358_88b60a4177_b.jpg

49860238916_70b41ae017_b.jpg

49860547567_cb0fc6c63e_b.jpg

49860237806_a8190f7174_b.jpg

49860549077_76fd5e6676_b.jpg

Conclusion

And so, this build draws to a close. Thank you to the folks who helped out with the info on the cooling vents and the CAGNET aerial, and thank you for dropping by and having a look the build!

Stay safe and look after yourselves

Best wishes,

Sam

49859698673_9426fc6470_b.jpg

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 3

I've got one of these on my "close to starting" list. Nice inspirational build you've got. I appreciate the links, etc..

Thank you for posting.

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

2 hours ago, Bedders said:

Very nice indeed. Comfirms to me that I now need one!

Justin

I highly recommend them!

For anyone interested, here's a brief summary of the modifications I made to the kit:

-Brass pitot and AoA probes

-scratchbuilt canopy details (including joysticks/hand controllers attached to the canopy for the back-seater, mirrors and detcord

-Detailing of the cockpit to add the various hoses and wiring bundles

-an extended pilot's coaming (the kit one runs flush with the front of the instrument panel)

-Scratchbuilt HUD (and a few bits of wiring)

-the front end of the LRMTS pod is scratchbuilt

-Auxiliary intake doors- scratchbuilt

-Flaps were scratchbuilt and the slats were taken from the upper wing section and the gap left was filled in

-Exhaust "petals" were filed away from the kit parts

-A "trench" was built behind the APU exhaust to give it a bit of depth

-The wing glove seals are entirely scratchbuilt to plug the gaping hole that the kit parts have, if you sweep the wings forward

-Nose and main gear (and their respective bays) were spiced up with some wire and plasticard

-LITENING pod courtesy of a GWH 1:72 F15E kit

-Cooling vents were filed away, and their doors added with plasticard

-The TCAS "blisters" were added on the spine and under the nose of the aircraft (again from plasticard), and the GPS antenna (the white circle on the spine behind the TCAS) was made from a transverse section of wire

-I had to borrow another BOZ-107 pod from a prior Tornado build

-In the absence of red "no step" decals, I used the pink-ish ones the kit provides and painted red over those

-The little antenna (on the top surface, just behind the demarcation the nose) was made from a small sliver of plasticard

-Pylons were drilled out and spruced up a little

-Gaping holes in the inboard sides of the intakes were filled and sanded down- the intake ramps (or what remained of them after they were deactivated?) were scratchbuilt

-And last but not least, the CAGNET aerial was made from a piece of plasticard and a piece of thin wire

If I was doing it again there's a few things I'd add to that list:

-I'd look for a resin nose (the kit one seems to be an amalgamation of an IDS and an ADV nose?)

-I made a bit of a mess with the filing, scribing and re-riveting, I need to patient with the next one

-The nose leg seems to be a extended a little too much for my liking, I'd like to squash that down

-Turns out the underside of the flaps is flat, not cut into 2 as I've done

I hope that's been of benefit for people looking to build the kit. I'll have another crack at the whip when my final uni exams are all said and done- very tempted to do the retro-scheme grey/green camo version (ZG752)...

Best wishes,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, cathasatail said:

If I was doing it again there's a few things I'd add to that list:

You're spot on about the nose gear leg problem - all the Revell Tornados (1/72, 48 and 32) suffer from it - the model always sits nose high (it's supposed to be straight or even a little nose low for a loaded GR4). 

Alan

Well then, what an absolute cracking model.  Looks superb mate, loaded with detail and lovely weathering.  Nice work Sam.

You have now caused me a problem as I want to build the ones in my loft....!!!

Cheers,

Phil

7 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

I highly recommend them!

For anyone interested, here's a brief summary of the modifications I made to the kit:

I hope that's been of benefit for people looking to build the kit.

Thank you Sam for that list, I will bookmark for future reference.

Nice build. Don't know if its of any interest but here's ZA560/EB-Q turning hard over the Thirlmere Dam towards Keswick back in August 2016. I do miss the Tornado's especially low level.

ZA560 EB-Q Tornado GR4 41 Squadron

• Like 2