Lockdown celebrations - probably a mossie

Well who would have imagined that we'd be celebrating anniversary of the end of the most significant war in history in social isolation. Of course the government is due to announce any changes on the 7th, but I can't see much changing. Either way, I'll be participating in this group build for sure.

On my street in an effort to lift spirits and mark the historic day, we're having an isolated street party, of course with the red white and blue decorations that you would expect. I'll post some pictures of that on here when the happens. 

Double celebrations on the 8th though as not only is it the anniversary of the end of the second would war in Europe, it's also my birthday- likely just another day like any other in lockdown.

Anyways, I'll probably be building a Tamiya 1/72 mossie (which I know I'll be getting as a birthday gift, on VE Day just in time for this GB), but I'll need to find some aftermarket decals with a suitable scheme.TA60747.jpg?t=

That's the kit. Any suggestions on suitable decal sets would be appreciated- I've found one scheme from May 1945 but more options can't hurt.

• Like 5

Hello Adam... whats your feeling on RAAF subjects ? Ive always like the aluminum dope overall used on Australian Mossie’s. I think they were pretty late war ? 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72232

Red “B” and Blue “A” from that sheet both fit the time frame of July/late summer 1945. Added bonus is that its only one color. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Double celebrations on the 8th though as not only is it the anniversary of the end of the second would war in Europe, it's also my birthday- likely just another day like any other in lockdown.

Anyways, I'll probably be building a Tamiya 1/72 mossie (which I know I'll be getting as a birthday gift, on VE Day just in time for this GB), but I'll need to find some aftermarket decals with a suitable scheme.TA60747.jpg?t=

That's the kit. Any suggestions on suitable decal sets would be appreciated- I've found one scheme from May 1945 but more options can't hurt.

Mossie, good call, plenty in use during the period and for a long time after, what about a Coastal Command machine?

Happy Birthday for Friday!

• Like 1

How about checking out what Aviaeology has.Terry Higgins did some fantastic quality decals with in depth details of markings and camo variations. Mainly Coastal Command ones with RCAF, RNZAF, RAAF and Norwegian operated Mossies!

On 05/05/2020 at 23:38, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Adam... whats your feeling on RAAF subjects ? Ive always like the aluminum dope overall used on Australian Mossie’s. I think they were pretty late war ? 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72232

Red “B” and Blue “A” from that sheet both fit the time frame of July/late summer 1945. Added bonus is that its only one color. 

Dennis

Not done anything Australian before, Aussie Mossie? Sounds good to me? I see this also has a few British ones included that fit the time frame.

• Like 1

Well, here's some pictures of today's 2 meters apart VE Day celebrations

9b9579f5e8adea36faf531facfb07573.jpg

One of our Neighbours' tabel

37d9a2714ecce8b4012d7714f5ceccee.jpg

So I brought out my own

7026ecc5d8c31111b76b16d7e3c44316.jpg

and well, plenty of this haha

4489c961615bcafe4aecb66dd5928ab6.jpg

b31193592a5978944786189d84eab569.jpg

Also had a look through old photos from around ww2:

46ee80ad5839c7a43fe94d5e50903939.jpg

My grandad (Jack Poultney) in his RAF uniform circa 1945. He was an electrician working on Hurricanes.

bad9b74a636830803faf79e9d55616d0.jpg

Now I am a little confused with this photo, I think this was taken around 1940, at Rearsby. This Hurricane, V7338, was involved in an accident (link) in 1940, but my grandad wasn't working on aircraft at that point- likely not until 1942 or 43 at the earliest, only actually being in the RAF from 1945 from what I've been told. Unfortunately I can't ask him as he died a few years before I was born. 

104dbb7ab4d3c113a8c93aec819e0e3e.jpg

This one I think is of my great uncle, Jim. He was a cook. He died when I was young, I do remember him but not well. 

Also, mossie kit! 

0526f7f1227685398a4847a44eba9911.jpg

Added a mask set of course

c7563854098878375b2d8135c55b29f0.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Now I am a little confused with this photo, I think this was taken around 1940, at Rearsby. This Hurricane, V7338, was involved in an accident (link) in 1940, but my grandad wasn't working on aircraft at that point- likely not until 1942 or 43 at the earliest, only actually being in the RAF from 1945 from what I've been told.

The accident can't have been too serious, as V7338 is listed as being wit Silloth station flight in October 1940, and then with 232 Sqn at Drem the following month. Nothing further is recorded for it's service in Mason The Hawker Hurricane.

The photo appears to show the later Day Fighter Scheme of Dark Green/Ocean Grey/Medium Sea Grey with Sky tailband and yellow wing leading edges, plus it appears to have a mkII style Rotol propeller and spinner, both of which would put the photo much later than 1940. Also no aerial between mast and fin, so VHF radio, a later war fit.

Rearsby is a likely location, as Taylorcraft operated a Civilian Repair Organisation facility for Hurricanes there. Could your Grandad have been working with the CRO here before he went into the RAF? The people in the photo are all in civvies which would also tie in with the CRO.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

38de2df4097c8828e821ec1ce615f0f7.jpg

Finally made a start on this, black primer and hairy stick painting in the cockpit. 

0be9a17b858392834570376de7af1030.jpg

Quick paintjob on the instrument panel

e40386587ec35b05dac9410767c5fe19.jpg

I added a plastic card backing to the boxes at the back of the cockpit- the open backs can be seen through the canopy when finished if this isn't done.

97e9fe886781ea04bbec0ea3899ef3ac.jpg

• Like 3

Mosquito%20TA272.jpg?m=1568079320

Right so this is the only photo I can find of TA272, one of the aircraft depicted in the decal set suggested here. However it seems that this is an NF.XIX variant which has a different nose.

This was the one I intended to do, but I don't really want to be doing any significant mods to this model- practically scratchbuilding half a Vulcan B1 is enough modding for this month. 

I think I'll do RF751 which is in a similar scheme, but an RAAF aircraft- a win I guess since it will stand out even more in my collection. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Oh and if anyone knows which holes need to be drilled out to fit slipper tanks that information would be appreciated

It's the two slightly larger ones just outboard of the landing lights. If you line the pins up on the tanks you can check from where the tank meets the leading edge of the wing.

They're shown in the instructions for the NFXIII/XVII here - marked B 1.2 mm (this kit will do also for your NF XIX TA272)

The two smaller holes forward and aft of these are for the bomb rack, and the 8 holes parallel with the leading and trailing edges are fore the rockets.

• 2 weeks later...

Decals arrived today, unfortunately my internet is out right now so I'm on data, very slow because the whole area has no internet and lots of people will be on data, I can't access Pinterest to put up an image of them, I'll do that later if the internet is back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2020 at 06:53, CliffB said:

I'm just catching up with this Adam.

Despite the facial hair and shades, you do look remarkably like your grandad  :thumbsup2:

Cheers

Certainly is a resemblance. Wish I had a photo of me with him, but I never got to meet him, he died a few years before I was born. 

Been a while since I did anything on this model, it's just sat in the box back with the rest of the stash while I've worked on other things. Aaaaand I forgot to post what I'd done on here....

afb16c5cc971ccb8f70df30fa39d0c5f.jpg

Fuselage went together well enough

4aad1724ca7a2c176026a19958954fbc.jpg

Wings assembled with no issues, although it took me a while to figure out how the fuel pods were supposed to attach.

5399e9d84922c878ad15abde34de7fc1.jpg

The wings were attached and most of the canopy was added, this is where the build stalled out for a while. 

Today I added the final canopy bit, done the interior colour of the framing, and it's ready to prime and then paint.

531b6c14ad184ac2cc85d26e3ad535e6.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

quick update on this: I did get the model painted but I can't finish it as I ran out of the necessary paint. I'll probably have more last week, so late finish on this one unfortunately.