Polish glider, a F-105D with a polish eagle ... pic intensive, a bit

Hello guys,

With the lock-off, I was able to complete the Hobby Boss 1/48 F-105D Thunderchief, in the markings of polish Glider. 
Used some aftermarket, Aires cockpit and wheels, Quickboost pitot, tail fin and fuselage scoops and aerials.

painted using AK Real Colors acryls.

hope you'll like her and as usual, comments and crits most welcome.

Stay safe,

Stef (#6)

F105-final-01.jpg

F105-final-02.jpg

F105-final-03.jpg

F105-final-04.jpg

F105-final-05.jpg

F105-final-06.jpg

F105-final-07.jpg

F105-final-08.jpg

F105-final-09.jpg

F105-final-10.jpg

F105-final-11.jpg

F105-final-12.jpg

And a few more pics ....

F105-final-13.jpg

F105-final-14.jpg

F105-final-15.jpg

F105-final-16.jpg

F105-final-17.jpg

F105-final-18.jpg

F105-final-19.jpg

F105-final-20.jpg

F105-final-21.jpg

F105-final-22.jpg

F105-final-23.jpg

F105-final-24.jpg

• Like 35

Wonderful build! I've built the Monogram F-105F and F-105G; never built their F-105D. All three have very flimsy, in my opinion, main landing gear. Were there any problems building your kit?

• Like 1

Very nice work, I remember the Revell kit way back when - the thing looked like a space ship!

• Like 1

Really nice result, the colours look very good. 

I'm building the 1/32 big brother of this kit for the upcoming Vietnam GB, will be bookmarking this for reference 👍

• Like 1

Very nice build!

The F105 in Polish Museum of Aviation in Krakow is that particular machine:

http://muzeumlotnictwa.pl/zbiory_sz.php?ido=308&w=a

and there is a story of it:

"The aircraft on display, number 59-1822 is one of the most famous Thunderchiefs of the Vietnam war. It was assigned to 355th Tactical Fighter Wing, based at Takhli, Thailand and was flown by a pilot of Polish origin, Major Donald Kutyna, who gave it individual name The Polish Glider. It is a permanent deposit, donated by the USAF Museum."

From what can be found in Polish texts on her after Vietnam war she was serving in USAF till 1981, then spent 19 years as reserve in Arizona, then  some next ten years in a store of Duxford Collection and finally she is in Krakow.... And on your shelf too!

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

J-W:  Polski Szybowiec.  I love the slogan beneath the White Eagle (which, appropriately, still has its crown, just to rub it in the Communists' faces!); the only thing worse than a Yankee Air Pirate is a Yankee Air Polak, right?  Whatever the case, yours is a beautifully executed model.  I once spoke with an F-105 Wild Weasel back-seater, who told me that the aircraft had a tendency to "walk" down the runway on takeoff because the landing gear were so tall and gangly.  Virginia ANG flew them into the early 80s, I think.  The 355th Wing was my last unit while on active duty, and F-105s were a distant memory by then.  Best, Alex

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Wonderful build! I've built the Monogram F-105F and F-105G; never built their F-105D. All three have very flimsy, in my opinion, main landing gear. Were there any problems building your kit?

Hello. Well no real problems with building the kit, except the wobbly landing gears, as you noticed with the Monogram kits. Here too, looks like a plate of jelly on a washing machine, full shrink speed ! 🥳.

As for other point, as usual with Trumpeter and Hobby Boss, when you're closing waht was devised to be open, of course you need a touch of putty here and there. 

Thanks everybody for the kind words, glad you like her :)

Stef (#6)

Very nice.  I am working on the Revell Inc version of the F105D T-Stick II just now.  I hope I can get it somewhere near the quality that you have produced here.

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1

Hello,

Thanks for the kind words, again.

Weathering is a multi-part work.

The kit is given a copat of gloss, for decals application.

Then a was of artist oil, here Sepia color, diluted with lighter fluid.

Next, some post shading and panelling with airbrush, over the glossy surface.

Then some stains, etc using markers, I'm using Faber Castell Pitt Artist pen brush or color pencils, these being applied over the flat coated surface.

Hop this helps.

Stef (#6)