Chieftain mk5 berlin brigade ?

diablo rsv

I have the Takom Mk.5/5p kit that I was hoping to do in the Berlin Brigade scheme Although that is an option the kit I haven't managed to find a picture of an actual Mk.5 in this scheme. The Tankograd book only shows Mk.9s, Mk.10s, Mk.7RRV and a Mk.5ARV. Were there any

Mk.5s in this scheme or am I going to have to invest in the TaKom Mk.10?

Hopefully somebody will be able to answer this for me.

Regards

Wayne

I think the MK 5 might be tad early for the Berlin Brigade colours, not 100% but by the time the scheme came in they were using the later marks,

The MK11 TOGS never served in Berlin though as they were kept for Brigades with a longer life expectancy during war just as a side note.

Dan  

21 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I think the MK 5 might be tad early for the Berlin Brigade colours, not 100% but by the time the scheme came in they were using the later marks,

The MK11 TOGS never served in Berlin though as they were kept for Brigades with a longer life expectancy during war just as a side note.

Dan  

That's was my suspicion. 

I have ordered the Mk.10 to be safe and will sell the Mk.5. 

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

No expert, but I have a lot of pics of non-Stillbrew Chieftains in Berlin scheme.

I was under the impression that Mk5 to Mk9 were primarily engine/transmission/stowage upgrades so visually not a lot different.

Open to correction!

But what would be the outer differences ( I am no Chieftain insider).

Looking at wikipedia (I know.....), the following info is presented:

Chieftain Mk.5

Final production variant, 750 hp L60 Mark 8A, with upgrades to the NBC protection system, weight 54 long tons, 1975 [xix]

Chieftain Mk.5/5P

Chieftain Mk.5 for Iran, 1975. Engine later upgraded to 750 hp L60 Mk 10A, 1977

Chieftain Mk.5/2K

Chieftain Mk.5 for Kuwait, 1975

In 1975 all British Army earlier Marks of tanks except Mark 1's were upgraded to Chieftain Mk.5 standard as part of the 1975 "Totem Pole" programme,[xx] including addition of Clansman radios,[xxi] fitting of TLS, fitment of Muzzle Reference System (MRS) [xxii] upon replacement of L11A3 barrel with L11A5 barrel,[xxiii] and fitment of 750 hp L60 Mark 8A. These vehicles were re-designated Chieftain Mk's.6 to Mk.8.

Chieftain Mk.6

Chieftain Mk.2 upgraded to Chieftain Mk.5 standard, 1975 [xxiv]

Chieftain Mk.7

Chieftain Mk.3 and Chieftain Mk 3/S upgraded to Chieftain Mk.5 standard, 1975 [xxv]

Chieftain Mk.7C

Chieftain Mk.3 upgraded to Chieftain Mk.5 standard for Oman

Chieftain Mk.8

Chieftain Mk.3/3 upgraded to Chieftain Mk.5 standard, 1975 [xxvi]

In 1977 the engines of all British Army vehicles were upgraded to the 750 hp L60 Mark 9A, followed by further upgrading with the L60 Mark 11A or L60 Mark 12A [xxvii] in 1978 as part of the 1977 "Dark Morn" and the 1978 "Sundance" programmes. [xxviii]

Chieftain Mk.9

Chieftain Mk.6 after completing all phases of "Totem Pole", 1979

That would mean different engines, mainly. Correct?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 14/07/2020 at 02:21, Kiwidave4 said:

I was under the impression that Mk5 to Mk9 were primarily engine/transmission/stowage upgrades so visually not a lot different.

I think you,re right, there are pictures of Mk.9s in the scheme but I did manage to get a Mk.10 just to be on the safe side. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Niall said:

I'm not sure but, didn't the mk10 have the larger NBC filter box on the back of the turret and not the small box and square section duct as on the mk5.

Do you mean this........

b7c403b7-c7e6-4200-b5f7-38a7408d44bc.JPG

....or this?

cedf75c9-ce80-4448-8597-02da7b5633b4.JPG

These are photos of the Mk.10 at the museum in Maldon, Essex.

John.

12 hours ago, Niall said:

The first picture is the visible/IR searchlight mounting. The second is the later NBC housing I meant. I think the Tamiya kit has the earlier type.

The Tamiya kit is a Mk2/3/5 hybrid NOT a Mk5. The NBC unit in the kit is a No6 Mk1. The Mk5 introduced the No6 Mk2 pack as shown in Johns photo above.