Figures for RAF personnel 1960s - Wattisham

giemme

HI everybody;

I'm currently building an EE Lighting T4 in 1/72  (link in my signature) that I intend to paint as a 111 Squadron aircraft based in Wattisham in the 1960s. I'm also planning a little base for it, and have the PE set for boarding ladders and FOD cover. I'd like to complete it with some figures, ideally pilots (standing) and crew. Any ideas on what to look for?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers

Ciao

12 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Thanks Rick - that link leads to a 1/144 scale set though. I believe the 1/72nd version is this one:

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Military/Soldiers/Preiser-72520/gb/modell_50632.html

Much appreciated anyway, 'cause I'd never heard of that brand before :thumbsup: 

5 minutes ago, Timmas said:

I've recently bought Italeri's Nato Pilots and Groundcrew in 1/72 as I'm doing something similar with an early Harrier. The figures are very nicely moulded and detailed, but some will need a bit of tweaking to represent RAF, especially of the 1960s (and in my case the 70s)

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/223

Thanks Timmas :thumbsup:  For completeness of info, what I have in mind is something like this (By RuthAS - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27742994)

EE_Lightning_F1a_XM177_Watt_TFF_MILD_22.

Ciao

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, giemme said:
51 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Thanks Rick - that link leads to a 1/144 scale set though. I believe the 1/72nd version is this one:

Yes, they also do them in 1/48 I believe. The 1/72 are part number 72520. 

Edited by Rickoshea52
Corrected part number
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thanks Timmas :thumbsup:  For completeness of info, what I have in mind is something like this (By RuthAS - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27742994)

EE_Lightning_F1a_XM177_Watt_TFF_MILD_22.

Ciao

I'd like to see that when it's done. I'm nipping over to follow your build thread now. Can't believe I missed it! 🙂

• Thanks 1

This is touching on one of my pet hates.

Everyone produces figures of aircrew, someone who you hardly ever see around aircraft, they turn up get in and fly, land and beetle off sharpish.

Nobody produces anything like decent groundcrew figures, you know the people you see around aircraft 99% of the time!

Big hole in the market that needs desperately to be filled.

Selwyn

• Like 4

PP aeroparts did a set back in day it included RAF ground crew and pilots in metal.Long out of production but they do turn up on ebay every  now and  then.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Everyone produces figures of aircrew, someone who you hardly ever see around aircraft, they turn up get in and fly, land and beetle off sharpish.

Nobody produces anything like decent groundcrew figures, you know the people you see around aircraft 99% of the time!

Selwyn

Air Graphics do a couple of nice sets of 6 figures, but sadly these are dressed for work in Far East attire (shorts and no shirts).

I agree, there's a big gap in the market for RAF ground crew figures.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Ah, great thanks. I know the PJ stuff, it's indeed very good :thumbsup: 

19 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Yes, they also do them in 1/48 I believe. The 1/72 are part number 72520. 

Thank you Rick, lots of figures with a great variety of poses in that set :thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, Timmas said:

I'd like to see that when it's done. I'm nipping over to follow your build thread now. Can't believe I missed it! 🙂

No problem Timmas, you're very welcome to follow my WIP :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn

:ditto: 

18 hours ago, Orso said:

Thanks Björn, some good pointers there too :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, fatalbert said:

PP aeroparts did a set back in day it included RAF ground crew and pilots in metal.Long out of production but they do turn up on ebay every  now and  then.

Thanks you, I'l keep an eye on that too :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, cngaero said:

Air Graphics do a couple of nice sets of 6 figures, but sadly these are dressed for work in Far East attire (shorts and no shirts).

I agree, there's a big gap in the market for RAF ground crew figures.

Thanks Chris :thumbsup:  Those are also very interesting too, too bad (for my present need) they are so specific...

Ciao

I have both the Esci and Airfix sets and both are nice but none is ideal.. The Esci set includes a lot of figures and some are distincly "British" however these represent a more recent style of clothing and IMHO are not really suited to a '60s diorama. Other figures in the set are good for the era but are clearly American in style (I believe they are patterned after Vietnam War pictures).

The Airfix sets includes a couple of figures that would be useful, however most of thoes working on the aircraft are in full NBC attire. Also to keep in mind is that the the size of the figures in the two sets is quite different, with Esci's being more a proper 1/72 and Airfix more 1/76. Having them side by side the difference shows a lot.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Ah, great thanks. I know the PJ stuff, it's indeed very good :thumbsup: 

Thank you Rick, lots of figures with a great variety of poses in that set :thumbsup: 

No problem Timmas, you're very welcome to follow my WIP :thumbsup:

:ditto: 

Thanks Björn, some good pointers there too :thumbsup:

Thanks you, I'l keep an eye on that too :thumbsup: 

Thanks Chris :thumbsup:  Those are also very interesting too, too bad (for my present need) they are so specific...

Ciao

It might be worth while dropping the chap at Air Graphics an email as his range is expanding all the time. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all guys, I ended up ordering the PJ Productions set, mainly because they are available and at a decent price. Couldn't really find much about crew uniform/suits in terms of colors, though....

Ciao

Here are some of the Preiser ground crew figures that I have used in the past. Obviously these have been painted to suit a mid-80’s and later period but I have done others in RAF blue overalls for my Lightning ASF diorama, in theory you could  paint these figures in KD shades for other theatres of operation  

93EE20C3-EB95-4135-A636-28B8ADAE2534

C6E15056-0FF3-498F-983A-B846C2A9D7C3

• Like 4