Scratch built 1:20 scale B17G finally in her resting place in California!

Stunning (yet again!). 

I would NOT have wanted to be in a situation where I needed to get out of there quickly and put on a parachute. Probably with the aircraft in an attitude that pinned me against the sides!

Full respect for the men who flew these in anger.

Ian

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

You make it look so so easy Fozzy.

Simon.

I wish it could be a little easier at times Simon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More superb work Fozzy, I have decided my next project will be an attempt to follow you philosophy of absolutely no aftermarket stuff at all. This is such an inspiring build!

Richie

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, RichieW said:

More superb work Fozzy, I have decided my next project will be an attempt to follow you philosophy of absolutely no aftermarket stuff at all. This is such an inspiring build!

Richie

Cheers and go for it Richie!....you don't need all that expensive after market stuff....you are a modeller!😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

I'll have a go, will try not to bombard you with lots of silly questions and pleas for advice! :)

Ha ha ...no problem!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Here then is the Cheyenne turret finished to the best of my abilities!

The canopy for the turret wasn't as simple as I thought it might have been! A few months back I had made the canopy to fit over the turret detail but when I looked at it more closely I noticed that the small window apertures behind the main front perspex were way to small!....and so started the re designing of the frame....after a few attempts of dry fitting to the fuselage I think I cracked it!

So the first 2 photos we have the modified canopy frame............

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE.jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(1).jpg

To make the perspex (glass) I raided my box of used food packaging and found a nice little piece that once covered a shaving stick package!.....it wasn't too thick luckily as I had to bend a piece around the front!....I cut them to the correct shape and then super glued the front wrap around piece first.

DISASTER!.....when the glue set I noticed it warped the frame!...aaaggghh!.....the plastic was too thick after all and so I had to take it off and find some thinner plastic that would do the job!....this time the thinner plastic worked and I placed the remaining pieces on the frame.

I then glued the entire frame over the turret and on to the fuselage. When it was set I placed a few of the aluminum pieces on parts of the frames as you can see in these next photos.....

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(2).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(3).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(4).jpg

All I had to do now ...(which normally takes a couple of days)... place the rest of the Aluminum around the frame. Of course I have to do the entire rear fuselage section but I have to wait until the top and bottom halves are on!

This now completes the Cheyenne turret at long last!

This is what she looks like at the blunt end of the fuselage!!! 

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(5).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(6).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(7).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(8).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(9).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(10).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(11).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(12).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(13).jpg

CHEYENNE_TURRET_COMPLETE_(14).jpg

I think my next task is to do the elevator connection detail....so that will be my next post!

I can now definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel ...after 10 long years!...you must all be sick of the the sight of it!! ...I know I'm beginning to!.. ha ha!

Thanks once again for looking in...

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 17

I refer everyone to my previous comments as they have the same general "gobsmacked" tone as I would post for this one. No need to keep repeating myself!

Ian

• Like 1

Great work on that Cheyenne turret, looks like a proper fiddly old business. The photos of it installed below that mighty tail fin are amazing! :)

Richie

• Like 1

.........And another bit done!

I have to say I am flagging a bit!...finding it difficult to continue with this project. I guess I have been slogging at it for years now and really can't wait until it's all done! I am trying to get it complete before October comes as I am off to the UK and would like to try and take it with me on that trip....I don't know...we shall see!.....talking to myself here!🤨

OK ...so I managed to get the Tail plane connection area complete...difficult shapes as the fuselage is round of course!....but I also added a bit of detailing as you can see in this first photo......

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(3).jpg

So I made the simple cartridge shoot for the Cheyenne turret and cut a slice of Coca Cola can for where the barrels go into the turret.

Now onto the Tail plane connection.

This was all scratch built with plastic card. If the tail plane was off the fuselage this is what it would look like. The protruding sort of 4 bars you see would be connected to the horizontal stabilizer and in the D shape there was a cog that operated the elevators...........

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT.jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(2).jpg

After it all was painted and weathered a tad this is the end result!....I made little canvas bags out of tissue paper to go over the D shape....this was to protect dust and dirt from entering the fuselage ...and saved me making connection cogs!😉

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(4).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(5).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(6).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONNECTION_POINT_(7).jpg

....and here is the tail section so far!.......

ert_003.jpg

ert_004.jpg

ert_005.jpg

ert-001.jpg

Right then.......the next part is actually the last internal detail that I will ever have to do on this project!....HOORAY!!!

But that's the next post...

Thanks for taking a look

Cheers

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 13

Fozzy, Magnificent as always. 

5 hours ago, Fozzy said:

This was all scratch built with plastic card. If the elevators were off the fuselage this is what it would look like. The protruding sort of 4 bars you see would be connected to the elevator and in the D shape there was a cog that operated the control surfaces...........

You must be tired, as you say. That should surely be tailplanes not elevators. (They're the wobbly bits at the back). :laugh:

Keep on keeping on. The end is nigh. I look forward to completion too. (And your next build!)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fozzy, Magnificent as always. 

You must be tired, as you say. That should surely be tailplanes not elevators. (They're the wobbly bits at the back). :laugh:

Keep on keeping on. The end is nigh. I look forward to completion too. (And your next build!)

Oh dear!....I must be tired!....I am tired!...TAIL PLANES....HORIZONTAL STABILIZERS.......School boy error!🤨.....will edit it right away Pete!....how embarrassing!

All corrected Pete!

Edited by Fozzy
  • Haha 2

Awesome! I'm amazed and inspired by this. Thank you for sticking with it for this long. A Tour De Force! I managed to get a West Wings Hawker Hart . Might copy the Balsa sheets with the printing on and scale up the plans, seeing what you've done with your model has inspired me no end. Thank you! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Awesome! I'm amazed and inspired by this. Thank you for sticking with it for this long. A Tour De Force! I managed to get a West Wings Hawker Hart . Might copy the Balsa sheets with the printing on and scale up the plans, seeing what you've done with your model has inspired me no end. Thank you! 

Cheers!....and what a great idea!...I love the Hawker Hart!....would look great in a larger scale....looking forward to seeing it!😃