Scratch built 1:20 scale B17G finally in her resting place in California!

FOZZY MATE DO NOT BUILD WINGS FOR THIS

(I hope that helps)

[look away this bit is private]

Dear Fozzy's B-17, have a nice new life over there and take it easy.

Missing you already,

Regards,

Your admirer Bill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys!....really appreciated you all tagging along on this epic build of mine....kind of gave me more purpose and the push I needed to get to the finishing line!......you can all stand down now!🙂

Hopefully see you all on the next build!

• Like 3

The end of a truly epic build, and what a sensational result! The final choice of display method is definitely the right one, it really does look fantastic there.

James

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:51 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

I'll be very interested to see how many likes this gets as an RFI!

Probably break the internet.

Stunning work!

AW

• Like 1

Hi Fozz, I haven't commented on this build, as much as I have on your other builds but have watched, waited, and waited again, for each update and just want to add my twopenthworth...

Its alright, I suppose!

Seriously, brilliant job, it's amazing what you do, with a yogurt pot, a little bit of tin foil and redundant electrically power lead :worthy:

Whats next, wings by any chance :hmmm::giggle:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tony C said:

Hi Fozz, I haven't commented on this build, as much as I have on your other builds but have watched, waited, and waited again, for each update and just want to add my twopenthworth...

Its alright, I suppose!

Seriously, brilliant job, it's amazing what you do, with a yogurt pot, a little bit of tin foil and redundant electrically power lead :worthy:

Whats next, wings by any chance :hmmm::giggle:

Cheers Tony!......yes wings next!🙄

• Haha 3

• Fozzy changed the title to Scratch built 1:20 scale B17G boxed and ready to ship out to U.S.A

Hi there.....

Just when you thought you had seen the last of my B17....another post comes along!🙄

Well it's more of an update on the packing method I have done ready for the first leg of getting it to the Museum in California!

On Tuesday I am flying back to the UK from where I live in Bulgaria and then in February I will take the B17G on a flight to L.A ......Its all in the lap of the Gods  on if it gets there in one piece!

I feel pretty certain that it will be OK but not looking forward to opening the box at the other end!......after 10 years of work it needs to get there without any breakages!

I have shipped models before using the hold of an aircraft without any problems so far...touch wood! The trick is to suspend the model away from the sides/top/bottom of the box its in.  I made the boxes out of MDF and the front and rear sections are held in suspension using polystyrene packing.....if its not suspended then vibrations during transportation can damage the model.  When the sides and top of the box is screwed down the polystyrene clamps the model in position.....well that's the plan!

Here are a few photos of the boxes to give you an idea and also to show some of you that might want to try it with one of your models one day...if you haven't already........

Here is the front section placed in the box..........

B17G_PACKED_(1).jpg

This next photo shows the side screwed on and the polystyrene clamping the model in place........

B17G_PACKED_(2).jpg

I placed some bubble wrap over the top of the fuselage and then screwed the lid on......

B17G_PACKED_(3).jpg

Here 's the rear section in the second box...packed the same way.....

B17G_PACKED_(4).jpg

B17G_PACKED_(5).jpg

B17G_PACKED_(6).jpg

All I had to do then is find a big enough suitcase to place these boxes in........

B17G_PACKED_(7).jpg

That's it really!......just got to hope and pray that the baggage handlers don't kick the bag about too much!.....(I do know how they treat baggage as I worked Airside at Gatwick Airport many years ago and I'm guessing they haven't changed!!).....forgot to mention....never put fragile stickers on the case....red flag to a bull!

So there you go!

I promise this is the last of the B17G "Fuddy Duddy" story here!..........except to say that I am really really pleased that one of the editors of the FLYPAST magazine saw my model on my Scratch built models facebook page .........https://www.facebook.com/martinfostersscratchbuiltmodels..... and asked if they could do a piece on it in their January 2022 issue!...of course I was delighted and said yes......its out in the shops now!

222412.jpg

Thanks once again for those of you that followed this build ....and I'll see you on here real soon as I have started another project....a whole lot smaller than this one was!!

All the best and Happy Xmas and New Year to you all!

Fozzy

• Like 8

Congrats on the magazine recognition Fozzy, well deserved too.

Good luck for the journey and please have a great Christmas, after taking us on a fabled journey you deserve a good one mate.

Right that is me sold on watching for the next Fozzy build fest.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Fozzy changed the title to Scratch built 1:20 scale B17G finally in her resting place in California!

Good afternoon everyone!

I thought I would up date the story of my B17G with photos of the day that I handed it over to The Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad California.

Here are a couple of photos of the Museum.......

3190clouds3.jpg

20220210_110452.jpg

I was worried that the my model would be damaged on the long flight....considering that I packed it in a suitcase for the hold of the aircraft!....but you know, even though there was a bit of damage to the rear of the first section ( the ball turret hanging mechanism came away from the fuselage ceiling and broke in a few places)....it really wasn't a huge issue!....I spent the day before I went to the Museum repairing the damage in my Wife's Nephew's garage! So I am now confident that if I ever have to ship models abroad again I will pack them the same way!

The next day I loaded the boxed B17G into the back of the Cherokee and drove the hour and half from Warner Springs to Carlsbad and to the Museum in California.

A little bit of pressure now as I had the Curator and staff watching me as I un screwed the lids off the packing boxes to reveal the model.....phew!....no more damage!

received-639376447283137.jpg

I spent the next hour placing all the parts onto the fuselage....tail fin/doors/real wheel/bomb bay doors etc etc....whilst the Curator prepared an area for photographing.....

20220210_111044.jpg

20220210_111109.jpg

20220210_111253.jpg

Once I had put it all together, I transferred the Fortress to the table for photographing and discussed how the model was going to be displayed.......

20220210_110755.jpg

20220210_110833.jpg

20220210_110904.jpg

The curator had a great idea of tilting the fuselage towards the on looker and also placing the fuselage ends towards the front so that you can see up into the fuselages...

20220210_120725.jpg

.....then a photo of yours truly for the website!!.......

20220210_121440.jpg

and finally,  me signing over my model!

20220210_121716.jpg

I was then shown the cabinet where the model would be finally displayed!....I was so pleased as the cabinet was literally at the entrance to the Museum opposite the reception .....couldn't have asked for a better spot!!

20220210_110513.jpg

I then went home to let the Museum set the model in the display case and returned 1 week later to have a look at what they had done.

I have to say I was over the moon with the display and I thought my model looked fantastic under the bright lights!...they added small touches like having a few photos of the interior on display and placed the magazine article from Flypast beside it.....I was so chuffed I have to say!

Here are a few photos .......

20220217-104354.jpg

20220217-105628.jpg

20220217-104407.jpg

20220217-104425.jpg

20220217-105607.jpg

20220217-105614.jpg

received-660122118470079.jpg

received-1301534313680878.jpg

20220217-104558-1.jpg

So this finally brings an end to the journey that my Scratch built B17G "Fuddy Duddy" and I have been on!.....

Although I felt a pang of loss when I drove away from the Museum I was also very happy that it was in such a marvellous prestige Museum for ever more!

Thanks once again for looking in!

Fozzy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

She looks fabulous in her final home, well worth all the effort to get this done.

The only small issue I might have would be in the wording on the display card, and move "Fuddy Duddy" to the end, after the  "B17 Flying Fortress" bit, and not put it in the middle. That however, is minor and nothing to do with the quality of workmanship.

Full credit for a fantastic build!

Ian

PS Nice to put a face to the name too!

• Like 1