Scratch built 1:20 scale B17G finally in her resting place in California!

3 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Whoops, me didn't understand😀

I must admit ....neither did I!....got confused about bamboo airplanes and professors!:huh:

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking wheely good there Fozzy.

Simon.

uuuuum....no it's no good Simon...just cant think of a witty answer!:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there guys

Time for another update

My last post was the building of the bottom half of the tail wheel section and this time its the detail above the tail wheel!....I have had a lot of trouble finding information and photos of this area as I mentioned in the last post which forced me to kind of use my imagination a bit!....Well I was photographing what I had done and decided to take it all apart because I came across a photo of a C-1 auto pilot unit that sits on a tray just above the tail wheel!(2 days of work down the drain!🤨) .....I have found that there seems to have been different pieces of equipment depending on the model and year of the aircraft!....this of course gave me a headache because I had to decide what I was going to place in this area ....so I went with the C-1 autopilot.

The other big problem I had was the fact that some of the parts extended from the roof of the fuselage down to the floor!....this was difficult for me as I had to line it all up so that when the upper and lower halves were joined it all connected up!...so a lot of trial and error and dry fitting took place!...the joys of scratch building!😉

So the first 2 photos is of the retracting gear assembly just above the tail wheel it self....I built this out of bits of plastic and a cutting of one of my Bass guitar strings (kind of looks like the activating screw!)....

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS.jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(1).jpg

A few more parts now added and more Bass guitar strings!

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(2).jpg

The two white unpainted plastic parts you see in this next photo was the real problem lining up with the bottom section!

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(3).jpg

Here is my attempt at making the C-1 auto pilot unit.......

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(4).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(5).jpg

...and painted...

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(6).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(7).jpg

So after it was all painted ,here is the end result with the two halves together showing you different angles....

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(8).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(9).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(10).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(11).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(12).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(13).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(14).jpg

...and my favourite shots of looking down through the fuselage!!....

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(15).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(16).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(17).jpg

TAIL_WHEEL_UPPER_DETAILS_(18).jpg

I still have to place a few cables coming from the Auto pilot unit but that's basically the tail wheel area complete.

So I turned my attention to the control line rigging that I thought would be easy compared with the last bit....I guess it was just time consuming and fiddly!

I first made 8 x cable guides that keep the control lines away from the fuselage sides...it took me hours!!

CONTROL_CABLES.jpg

The cable guides were then put in place and then using some fishing line I pulled it all  taught from one end of the fuselage through to the rear. I did made a mistake and had to move the position a tad as I forgot to line the cables up with the cables on the front section of this B17G already built ...duhh!

CONTROL_CABLES_(1).jpg

CONTROL_CABLES_(2).jpg

CONTROL_CABLES_(3).jpg

CONTROL_CABLES_(4).jpg

Okay.....so now I had to turn my attention to the area between the tail wheel and the Cheyenne turret at the rear.

This is causing this project to come to a grinding halt! I have trawled the internet for hours and hours...looked in books and I just cant seem to find any photos/drawings/diagrams....absolutely nothing except the flooring!...There is the Elevator and hinge control cable actuated mechanisms above the floors ....but alas nothing but a few obscure photos either out of focus or just a slight glimpse of what I need!....I resorted to looking at photos of damaged B17s that have the tail unit blown off!....you kind of get a rough idea of the area but of course it's all mangled metal!....I have also written to the Lyon Museum in California who have "Fuddy Duddy" on display to see if they can help me...waiting for a response.

Here is the said area....

CONTROL_CABLES_(5).jpg

So if any of you great modellers have any info or photos that I haven't seen then please please give me the heads up!....but I'm not holding my breath!

Well that's it for now.....till the next time...

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

• Like 17

Here are some I have taken of that area... hope something may help. These are my own shots so if you need a better look at something let me know and I can get you a larger file.

B-17G 44-83514 Sentimental Journey

B-17-Sentimental-Journey-Detroit-2010-08

-

B-17-Sentimental-Journey-Detroit-2010-08

B-17G 44-83684 Picadilly Lilly II

B17-Picadilly-Lily-Chino-PoF-2018-04-11-

-

B17-Picadilly-Lily-Chino-PoF-2018-04-11-

B-17G 44-83735 Mary Alice

B-17-Mary-Alice-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-17-5

-

B-17-Mary-Alice-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-19-7

-

B-17-Mary-Alice-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-17-5

B-17G 44-83785 Shady Lady

B-17-Shady-Lady-Evergreen-2015-11-22-516

-

B-17-Shady-Lady-Evergreen-2015-11-22-516

B-17G 44-85718 Thunderbird

B-17-Thunderbird-Detroit-2010-08-08-4390

B-17G 44-85784 Sally B

B-17-Sally-B-Duxford-2019-06-30-9672.jpg

-

B-17-Sally-B-Duxford-2019-06-30-9674.jpg

B-17G 44-85790 Lacey Lady

B17-Lacey-Lady-Salem-2017-06-29-9832.jpg

-

B17-Lacey-Lady-Salem-2017-06-29-9839.jpg

B-17G 44-85813 Champaign Lady

B17-Champaign-Lady-Grimes-Field-2018-05-

-

B17-Champaign-Lady-Grimes-Field-2018-05-

B-17G 44-85829 Yankee Lady

B17-Yankee-Lady-Grimes-Field-2018-05-16-

-

B17-Yankee-Lady-Grimes-Field-2018-05-16-

Always good to see your updates on this amazing project!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice update, Fozzy. And, as always, superb work. Hopfully the pics from @Ol' Scrapiron will help you. I liked looking at them anyway. Love the B-17.

Thanks Pete....I'm slowly getting there with the photos!

18 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Here are some I have taken of that area... hope something may help. These are my own shots so if you need a better look at something let me know and I can get you a larger file.

good to see your updates on this amazing project!!!

A BIG thank you to you Steve for the info....I have sent you a PM!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone

Time for an update!

In the last post I mentioned that I was having a problem with finding information and photographs of the area immediately to the rear of the tail wheel tub........Well since then I have had great help with photos and info from some fellow modelers ....so a BIG THANK YOU goes out to Ol'Scrapiron for his help in sending me the photos that I desperately needed to continue with this part of the build. I also reached out to the museum that looks after B17G "Fuddy Duddy" to see if they could help me but I never got a reply!

So after shifting through all the photos and studying  them I came to the conclusion that a lot of the detail that I had already built into the area had to be changed as I was just guessing what it looked like from the photos I had!......so I carefully took pieces off here and there ready to start a fresh......very frustrating but it had to be done!

..................but before we get into all that I can show you some new detail that didn't need ripping out!

I made a fire extinguisher out of a plastic cocktail stick!......this first photo is of the real extinguisher....

MORE_DETAIL_TO_THE_REAR_SECTION.jpg

...and here is my effort....

MORE_DETAIL_TO_THE_REAR_SECTION_(1).jpg

I placed it in the rear of my model.....can you see it!!!

MORE_DETAIL_TO_THE_REAR_SECTION_(2).jpg

I also placed all the electrical cables on to the side walls.......

MORE_DETAIL_TO_THE_REAR_SECTION_(3).jpg

MORE_DETAIL_TO_THE_REAR_SECTION_(4).jpg

I also made a little tail wheel crank for emergency use....imagine how exhausting that was to hand crank down!

TAIL_WHEEL_HANDCRANK.jpg

So now to the correction of the detail in this area..............

From the new photos I noticed that there were not one but two C1 auto pilot units. In a sense I was pleased about this as the one I previously made seemed very long! After doing a bit of measuring I reckoned that if I cut the unit I made in half I could make the two I needed!...it would be just a case of adding some extra detail for the second unit and a bit of tidying up. So I carefully pulled the unit of its tray.....not easy as most of my detail I super glue in!...but never the less got it out without too much damage.It was then cut in half and made into two units........

CHANGING_THE_DETAIL.jpg

...and then carefully glued back onto the shelf.....

CHANGING_THE_DETAIL_(1).jpg

OMG!.......The next correction was a lot more difficult!

One of the bulkheads at the rear of the tail wheel was in the wrong position by at least 5-7mm. Doesn't seem much in the scheme of things but it was throwing all the detail that I had to do out of scale! ....here is what I mean.....

MOVING_THE_BULKHEAD_(1).jpg

MOVING_THE_BULKHEAD_(2).jpg

MOVING_THE_BULKHEAD_(3).jpg

It took me some time but adjusted it all in the end with pieces of plastic!

Now I was ready to detail the area with the use of the new photos. Between the two bulkheads past the tail wheel there is all the pulley system used to pass the control cables to the elevator and rudder....all very small and fiddly.......for example here is one of the many pulleys I had to make.......

CABLE_PULLEYS.jpg

So the next 6 photos show the re vamped bulkheads with all the pulleys attached .....

PULLEYS_AND_WIRES_ON_BULKHEADS_(1).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_WIRES_ON_BULKHEADS_(2).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_WIRES_ON_BULKHEADS_(3).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_WIRES_ON_BULKHEADS_(4).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_WIRES_ON_BULKHEADS_(5).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_WIRES_ON_BULKHEADS_(6).jpg

Here is that section painted........

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(1).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(2).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(3).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(4).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(5).jpg

PULLEYS_AND_CABLES_PAINTED_(6).jpg

Although it set me back a week or so I am pleased that I made the correction.....I have to say it was driving me mad as I knew it wasn't correct....at least now it looks a lot better!

Finally the photo shot that I like taking....I know you have seen it before but there are subtle differences!....well that's my excuse anyway!

LOOKING_BACK_TOWARDS_REAR.jpg

Back to staring at photos before I attempt to continue to the rear of this B17!...Thanks a lot for looking at all this....appreciate it!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

This will be my last post for this year as I am off to the UK in a couple of days time to see family and friends.

So another year is coming to an end (glad this one is nearly over!)...and this project still hasn't come to the end! I can't believe that I started this in 2011 with the nose section!....9 years later and I am still working on the tail end!......but realistically I think that I can get it all done next year!.....I do hope so as I really want to move on and build something else for a change!

Here is a photo of the all of the fuselage to date with my expert markings (not!!)....showing you that I am nearly at the tail end!

spray-and-markings-on-tail-unit-8-1.jpg

So this final post of this year is all about the elevator and rudder actuators......wasn't an easy task as I only had a few photos to go by kindly donated by Ol'scrapiron....but I got there in the end and this is how it all turned out.

To start with,  this is the elevator mechanism.The tube/bar was made from an old plastic sprue and the rest from cut pieces of plastic.....

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(2).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(3).jpg

You can see a few cables attached that operate the mechanism.

The next few photos show it all painted.......

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(2).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(3).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(4).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(5).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(6).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(7).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(8).jpg

Now I turned my attention to the rudder actuator.....which was difficult as I only had shots of a very small part of it. Not to worry as when in place under the rudder you can hardly see it!....so I was lucky!!

Here it is ........

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(1).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(2).jpg

The platform was then constructed out of plastic and the mechanism dry fitted in place.....

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(3).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(4).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(5).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(6).jpg

Finally I painted the rudder actuator before placing on the frame..

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED__BEFORE_ASSEMBLY

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED__BEFORE_ASSEMBLY

and then painted the frame and placed the actuator in position........

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(1).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(2).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(3).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(5).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(6).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED(4).jpg

Photographing this area isn't very fulfilling as you can't get the camera in the right position to take the shot ......but hopefully you can see the progress that I've made! 

So when I return from my break in UK I will bash on with the "Cheyenne" tail turret!

I do hope you all have a wonderful Xmas even under all the restrictions we all have this year due to Covid....and I wish you all a much better New Year than this last one!

All the best ...see you on here next February!

Cheers

Fozzy 

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Another great update, Fozzy. That's a lovely spiders web of cables you've got down the back end. 

I can't remember how the rear gunner gets in and out of the B-17, but probably not through that way!

I know what you mean about ripping stuff out and starting again, but it would bother me too.

Bon Voyage and Merry Christmas, Happy new year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Very nice work there Fozzy as per norm.

I/we hope that you have a safe journey back to Blighty and have a great Xmas mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon....see you soon!....well virtually!😉

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Another great update, Fozzy. That's a lovely spiders web of cables you've got down the back end. 

I can't remember how the rear gunner gets in and out of the B-17, but probably not through that way!

I know what you mean about ripping stuff out and starting again, but it would bother me too.

Bon Voyage and Merry Christmas, Happy new year.

Cheers Pete!

The rear gunner had a hatch to get in and out of just below the starboard side elevator......he could crawl through past the tail wheel housing but it was so cramped that it was ill advised with all his cold weather gear on!

Merry Xmas!

• Like 2

Thank you for finishing  this section before Christmas Fozzy, makes next year worth waiting around for.

As you know waiting around is all we are allowed here.

Have a lovely family time this Yuletide, see ya later modelmaker.

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

Thank you for finishing  this section before Christmas Fozzy, makes next year worth waiting around for.

As you know waiting around is all we are allowed here.

Have a lovely family time this Yuletide, see ya later modelmaker.

Cheers Bill!....stay safe mate!😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

Hope you and your family have a great Christmas and all the very best for the New Year.

Same back at you Brian!😀

18 hours ago, Brandy said:

Another great update, closer and closer........

Safe travels Fozzy, and have a wonderful Christmas with your family!

Ian

Thanks Ian....you have a good Christmas too!😀

3 minutes ago, kev67 said:

Looking great Fozzy, only the wings to do

Thanks Kev......only those pesky wings to do!🙄

• 1 month later...

Hi every one

Well first and foremost I want to wish everyone a Happy belated New Year!.......although it is difficult in these times!

Due to this blasted Covid-19 I am in lock down in UK and won't be returning to Bulgaria and my workshop  for ....who knows how long!😢.....at least I am with my family but miss battling on with my B17G!

I haven't any modelling equipment here......nothing at all... but am thinking that Amazon might help with that situation!......I'll spend a few quid,... get some sort of starter pack tools and get myself a little 1:72 kit to tie me over!.....haven't done that for years so I am looking forward to it!🙂   

Meanwhile .....I haven't been idle ..... I decided to revamp my website and have got all my model photos in one place....so for those of you who want to take a look.........

https://mfostermodels.wixsite.com/martin-foster-models

So until I return to my work bench and my B17 ......I wish you all the best and please stay safe!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1