Scratch built 1:20 scale B17G finally in her resting place in California!

On 13/05/2020 at 12:06, Fozzy said:

Hi there everyone

I eventually opened the box ( with a hang mans noose at the ready ) to see what damaged was caused!........absolutely no damage at all!....phew! what a relief! ......I will be trying that experiment again at a later date ...this time being even more brutal!

Here is the box with the front section packed in....with the lid off of course.......

swe-015.jpg

Have you considered a concept of "double boxing"? An inner box with halfways rigid supports for your gem and an outer box containing that inner box and some rather soft and flexible cushoning is my suggestion for "mailing" delicate large objects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jochen Barett said:

Have you considered a concept of "double boxing"? An inner box with halfways rigid supports for your gem and an outer box containing that inner box and some rather soft and flexible cushoning is my suggestion for "mailing" delicate large objects.

Hi Jochen.....yes I have considered that Idea and may well place an outer box on her.....all depends if it will fit into the suitcase that I have for the aircraft hold!...cheers!

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

Beautifully done tail bubble Fozzy, never had a moment's doubt that you would 'get it in one'.

Cheers Bill!...it was somewhat easier this time as I didn't have to worry about the plastic fogging as it will be painted any way!

• Haha 1

I am not concerned that the next bit will be that glasshouse either, I find when scratchbuilding the 'eye' becomes the best measuring tool for such structures.

Looking forrards to that one.

:)

• Like 1

I’ve just spent two days trying to put a timber deck (McD’s bestest coffee stirrers) onto a 1:50 scale artic trailer... my efforts at woodwork have:

a. given me an even better appreciation of the quality of your work and

b. reminded me why I build plastic models!

Oh, and the moulding is pretty good too - I will be trying that on my next build.

Edited by brianthemodeller
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have just about managed to finish the basic construction of the rear fuselage and tail section with just a few details to add at a later stage. So after this post I can get on with working on all the internal detail!

So first up I had to think about how I was going to go about making the structure of the Cheyenne rear turret. After measuring up for scale from photos I got a sheet of plastic card and put together the frame work. I won't be glazing the turret or fixing it in place until all the internal detail in the turret is complete...this is because I will never get my fingers in there to do anything!.....so here is the Cheyenne turret frame work.....

skinning-the-tail-section-and-work-on-th

After fixing some sort of band of plastic around the aperture so that the frame would have something to adhere to I placed the turret in position to see what it looked like......I am happy with the out come as I thought it would give me no end of problems considering I had no scale plans to go by.

Here it is in place.....

So it was back to the tail section. I decided to skin this section now in preparation of spraying. Most of this B17G Fuddy Duddy I am depicting is bare metal except for the tail section where there is a splash of yellow.

So first up was to mark the rivet lines with pen....

The material I am using to skin the tail is quite simply sticky back silver paper which is thinner than the aluminum skin I will and have been using for the bare metal sections.You can see in this next photo that after I traced a template  the rivets were punched by my handy rivet maker tool (a safety pin inserted into a piece of plastic sprue!....no expense spared!) and its ready to be glued to the tail section....

...and here is the tail unit skinned.....

The next job was to sand down all the formers making way for all the internal detail that I will be starting on soon....this was done on both top and bottom of the fuselage half's

Using some of my collection of yogurt pot plastic tubs cut to shape!.. I started on covering the internal floors and side walls...

The last 3 photos are of some of the detail to the rudder... eg...the trim tab rod connection and the rudder connection fittings to the tail section...

skinning_the_tail_section_and_work_on_th

skinning_the_tail_section_and_work_on_th

That's it for now guys.

Next up is making the ribs for the floors and side walls on the lower half of the fuselage and possibly spraying the tail unit....so until then stay safe!

Cheers

Martin

• Like 22

I seem to have somehow missed your work on the rudder and tail turret back in May. But today's catch up has been worth it. Very impressive, as always.

I've also learnt how the Cheyenne turret differs from the original. I knew it existed. obviously, but had never seen it pointed out. So thanks for that.

I'm looking forward to you next posts. And, BTW, did you realise that this is the first time you signed off as Martin, rather than Fozzy?

Whichever, Stay safe. Pete

• Like 2

Thanks guys!:)

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm looking forward to you next posts. And, BTW, did you realise that this is the first time you signed off as Martin, rather than Fozzy?

Whichever, Stay safe. Pete

So I did Pete!.....well spotted!...got distracted I suppose!...Fozzy!;)

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Morning fellow modelers!

I have been doing  the laborious task of making up the entire interior with all the ribs etc!....this was only achievable by listening to all my favorite bands on my player ...taking the occasional paracetamol when my head started to ache from staring at hundreds of little pieces of plastic!!....and having the time on my hands to get through it!!..........still needs must and all that!

I'm so pleased that this phase is over because from now on the build becomes more interesting ....and hopefully for you guys as well!.......so here are the photos of all my effort!

First I glued strips of plastic onto the yogurt pot walls representing the vertical ribs ...and then  I had to cut hundreds of pieces of plastic representing the horizontal ribs.... so that I could glue them between the vertical ribs .....this sounds as boring as it was!

Interior_floors_and_walls_construction.j

So here we go then!.............

Interior_floors_and_walls_construction_(

.....a week later it was time to spray the base interior green!

PHEW!.................

I decided to prepare the balsa wood fuselage for skinning with the aluminum sheets ,which I will do at a later stage...(it also strengthens the fuselage)......so to that end I covered the fuselage with tissue glued on with PVC glue and then brushed on shrinking dope. Now its as tough as old boots and I am as high as a kite!🪁

This afternoon I will have a go at preparing the riveting on the dorsal fin and then maybe spray it tomorrow!

Probably one more post to go for a while as I'm off to see my wife in UK....due to this Pandemic I have been stuck here in Bulgaria and haven't seen her since last March!

See you on the next post!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 17

One day, this will sit on the high altar of the Modellers temple, and mere mortals will come  in pilgrimage to stare at it.

Then they will go home, and in years to  come they will tell their bright eyed grandchildren in hushed and reverend tones how they once saw Fozzy's B17...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Oh boy this is fantastic and like others have pointed out your cockpit and interior looks so realistic .  The workmanship is astounding.  You were very brave to kick it around in the box too.  Fantastic work fella and I hope you can get to see your wife soon.

Amazing stuff.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1