Starting point for an elderly new comer

Hi folks.

I have a question and was hoping you folks could help.

I know someone in their later years (79 years old) who has always loved aircraft and is fascinated with flight.  They don't really have any hobbies and the Covid-19 lockdown is affecting them badly.  I feel like they could really do with a hobby and something I always thought that might interest them is building model aircraft.  They have a thing for civil aviation like the Boeing 777-300 and Airbus.  I was thinking to get them a model kit but was looking for pointers on where and what to buy keeping in mind that they are a first timer, elderly (though I guess this doesn't really matter) and might not have much experience with this kind of thing.  They're good with their hands (sewing etc) and have lots of time.  But something they could do relatively quickly to start with at least mightn't be a bad idea.  Also something not too challenging.  Don't want them to get upset if they mess it up beyond repair or get frustrated with it if it's too fiddly.

I was thinking maybe something like this for starters.  What do you think?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/KLM-Boeing-777-300ER-Herpa-1-200-Scale-Plastic-Snap-Fit-Model-/283859904973?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

Oh, they're big fans of KLM by the way.

Would appreciate any and all advice.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by the_new_mr
Include reference to KLM
  • Like 4

What a thoughtful idea! He/she is lucky to have a friend like you.

I don't have any experience of Herpa kits, but snap-fit models are generally good for beginners. When all's said and done, it's civil and it's KLM so I'd say go for it!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input folks :)

I actually did some research and sneakily found out that that model of aircraft is their favourite.

I was checking to see if someone said something like "Whatever you do, don't buy a Herpa/snap fit kit" but since you guys haven't said this, I guess I can go with that.

Thanks for your help! 👍

That Herpa isn’t really a kit it’s just a model of a KLM 777. It’s a pre-painted fuselage with separate wings and horizontal stabilisers and a stand. That’s about it - seven parts at most and it can be assembled in a matter of a couple of minutes. If that’s what you think your friend needs fair enough. But such items are more likely to lead to the start of collecting such models than they are able to occupy anyone for a period of time.