La Haye Sainte

Hi Everyone, this is my first post so I hope I am doing everything right! Its also my first real modelling attempt for about 40 years and my first 'scenic' model ever...so please be merciful! its a 25 -28mm wargaming piece representing the Waterloo farmhouse, La Haye Sainte, using Hovels resin buildings. I hope you will have a look and give me some expert critical feedback! Thanks.

I am trying to load up pictures from Pinterest but failing. I am pasting url in etc but nothing happens...sorry

Hi Lizard,

Welcome to BM!

Don't worry, a lot of people have problems posting their first photos! I've never used Pinterest so I can't help you on that score. I assume it's possible to post them though. On the sites I've used there are normally several 'link' options for sharing your image to other sites, like this one.  On Imgur, the link I use is 'Direct Link', rather than 'image link', so if you have a 'direct link', either click on that to automatically copy the link and paste it here on BM, or just manually copy the link and paste it.

If that doesn't work, go to the BM home page and go to FAQ's. You'll see 'how to post photos'  using various hosting sites, such as Flickr, and I assume, Pinterest.

Hope that helps.

Badder 

Hi Badder

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and warm welcome! I cant see a 'direct link' button, but I will have another look and see if there are any other options (that I understand, that is!). I've tried FAQs but nothing about Pinterest that I have not already tried (I think). On BM, I cant see the 'other media' button that is referred to. Anyway, I will try again...

Thanks again

Lizard

15 hours ago, LIZARD87 said:

That's great! Thank you for letting me know. Is there an etiquette I should know about, like how many to put on, etc? Also, does the subject matter qualify? Cheers

That looks really good. You can put as many photos as you want on, but bear one thing in mind. Don't put multiple photos on that look the same as the previous one ie; taken from the same position, as the viewer will just skip through them. Just chose a number of relevant photos and post them. Good luck.

John.

Looks amazing. Just needs some Grenadier Guards! Actually they were at Hougmont.  I think I mean't KGL (King Germal Legion) soldiers.

Edited by Clogged

Thanks very much for your kind comments guys. Have got some KGL figures but have decided to have a crack at Ye Olde Airfix 1/24 Spitfire first. Then I might return to the farm to complete the garden and orchard (perhaps!)

Wow, what a cracking start for you! superb dio and detail, love the flowers and the pond and lillies especially.

• 9 months later...

Hi there Clive! thank you so much for your kind comments. It is indeed 28mm, but the buildings themselves are resins from Hovels, tidied up a bit. The farm yard cobbled area is some latex sheet I came across. I raised the whole thing up so that I could 'dig' the pond but this has had the unfortunate effect of causing the bank that surrounds the buildings. The foliage is just hand made from static grass, scatter etc. I am trying to get round to scratch building the garden and orchard but first I got distracted by Airfix 1/24 Spit (which I am never going to finish!) and now I'm painting up some 1/72 figures for 'Waterloo Uncovered'.

I know exactly how you feel about doing things from when you were a child; I've got a collection of all the HO/OO and 1/32 figures from Airfix and others from The Day and starting to branch out into the old Herald and Crescent stuff from the 60s and 70s. Who knows, I may get them painted up as 'sets' one day! I wish you the best of luck with the Waterloo Farm: are you presenting it as a toy or a wargaming piece or a diorama? Please let me know how you get on. I would be interested to know if you have any of the other 'Playset' type buildings too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris, thanks for the info. And I follow Waterloo Uncovered, I think it's brilliant the new information they're uncovering and the work with veterans, lets hope they can physically get out there this year. I've completed the model and will post pics asap. I am a bit clueless navigating my way around this site. 🙄 I raised my pond and built a rockery around it. I thought it'd give the defenders something to stand on. I got a little carried away with all the modern scenics and paint tips I've picked up, so it might be a bit fragile for wargaming. It won't stop me having a test run through Black Powder rules though. I haven't played a game since I was at school!  So hopefully I can have a go before lockdown ends, it'll be with Airfix h0/00 scale though 😀 and not KGL defending either.  Although my Wellington figure will tower above the field at 28mm..   Cheers! Clive

On 2/21/2021 at 9:40 PM, Ernst said:

This is an absolutely lovely diorama, I can look at it for ages.

Cheers,

Ernst.

Same here. Like most of the other posted comments, I particularly like the work that's gone into the landscaping. It's very convincing, especially in this scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys - thanks again. Good luck with the wargaming...very brave! I take my hat off to you - I can never bring myself to actual play for fear of complete rout; it looks so complicated to simple souls like me! Ill stick to the modelling I think...I am really looking forward seeing your final product.

• Thanks 1

Wow what a project, it looks amazing!  My favourite is the roses on the cottage.

I recently saw a pic of First World War soldiers at La Haye Sainte in 1915.  Amazing to think the battle took place only a 100 hundred years before that!