Gulf War Intruder

reini

GULF WAR INTRUDER

Nordic GB is closing down in under a week and builds are more or less done (still some final touches but getting close) - so I can concentrate bit more on the Navy GB! It's about time :) 

Vigilante is on it's way but I'm a serious serial builder so I need several kits to be on the go - so let's start a new one!

spacer.png

Italeri Intruder.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have some of a soft spot for Italeri (and Esci) kits. Like this one, it's good enough details, looks decent. But still not overly complicated, all I need in two sets of sprues, with some weapons to boot. And the Italeri decals seem to be always good. Not that I am using them at this time but still.

spacer.png

Well, two sets of spues and a clear part sprue.

spacer.png

Kit decals.

spacer.png

But I will be using this one. I found sand coloured Intruder quite interesting - usually it's in a grey scheme.

spacer.png

I already made a start, cockpit stuff.

spacer.png

First layers of paint.

spacer.png

I almost finished the seats too - but then I started looking at some of the details. I think i need to change the pull handles on top, they look quite heavy and seem to be wrong shape. Also the pull handle between the legs is missing and I'll add some lap belts. But they are still not bad looking seats out of the box but we'll see if we can make them a little bit better.

• Like 10

@rob85 Thanks! :) But I think I can make them little better.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I crafted new pull handles out of metal wire.

spacer.png

Added some PE belts.

spacer.png

Already looking better! Still some finishing touches and paint.

spacer.png

Meanwhile I did some work on the cockpit. Chipping, drybrushing the panel lines, picking out some of the instruments and giving a Tamiya panel line wash. Drybrushing can leave bit messy look but the panel liner neatens it out a bit. I used black one on the panels and grey one on the cockpit itself, concentraing on the corners and edges.

spacer.png

Here we are cockpit pretty much done, picked out all the knobs and dials with light grey and added little bit color here and there.

spacer.png

And the seats are also done!

• Like 10

spacer.png

Pieces are ready to go together. The fuselage is pretty complicated affair, needing multiple parts getting along nicely. Needed bit of a dexterity to juggle all in place and slowly closing up the fuselage with Tamiya Extra Thin. 

spacer.png

I glued as much as I could to the other side of the fuselage, but it needed some adjustment here and there as I was closing up the fuselage. Tricky part especially was the cockpit which didn't want to stay put, shape seemed bit off in comparison to the opening. 

spacer.png

Worst seam was around the cockpit, fit wasn't the best.

spacer.png

Filled the gap with plasticard strip. Needs some tidying up still.

spacer.png

Bottom fuselage was mostly fine - despite three different panels that got glued down there separately.

spacer.png

Well, mostly fine if not counting the area around intakes.

spacer.png

These are the parts that will be showing when the wings are folded. Of course there are ejector pin marks to be cleaned. 

spacer.png

Fuselage almost assembled, moving onto to the wings next.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Simple alterations add little extra detail to the build, like drilling open this intake.

• Like 7

Nice one, always good to see an Intruder on the boards. One observation, the grab handle for the ejection seat should be a single loop I believe, not sure if this was changed in the late planes.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Parabat said:

Nice one, always good to see an Intruder on the boards. One observation, the grab handle for the ejection seat should be a single loop I believe, not sure if this was changed in the late planes.

I should do better research :D Well no biggie, I can save those for later use and make new ones :) Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Edited by reini
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

spacer.png

Modelling in the garden :D It was a nice day so I tidied up all the rest of the parts so that I can start painting.

spacer.png

Ready for primer.

spacer.png

Tamiya XF-19 first, followed by preshading with NATO Black.

spacer.png

... and some squiggly lines with white.

spacer.png

Ready for the underside color.

spacer.png

Light Ghost Gray applied.

spacer.png

Did a mix for the darker of the browns. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

I like how your breaking up that block colour! Some great airbrush skill on show.

Rob

... I'm seeing it more like a little kids doodles :D But thanks :) 

spacer.png

Darker brown has been masked.

spacer.png

And done! As an afterthought, maybe that darker brown should have been bit more yellow, but oh well...

• Like 7

Bit late to the party, but let's finish this anyways!

spacer.png

Painted the white & red bits.

spacer.png

The decals are done too. The contrast between the sand color and the brown/yellow decals is bit low, but it is what it is. Next, I think I will put down a semi gloss coat in preparation for the wash. At the moment the paintjob is very matt so I fear that the Flory Models wash will stick it too hard. Still contemplating on whether going for the basic Dark Dirt or trying other options. Will have to do some testing.

• Like 4

Looking good, I worried I had been ignoring this build then I saw there has been a break in transmission, phew, thank goodness, no huge catch up. :D I like this scheme, I have have a boxing with a similar one in it, one day, I'll take it out. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, let's take this to the finish line :)

spacer.png

Apparently I had forgotten to take pics of the weathering process, but oh well. I used Flory Models Grime wash and MiG weathering products. I put down a satin coat but the Flory wash stuck to it bit more harder than I thought (I must have had bit rough paint surface) but it wasn't much of an issue, as it created majority of the weathering needed. I just added few touch ups here and there. Bang seats were corrected with the right pull handles and put onto place.

spacer.png

Weapons load, six Rockeye's. I made 'Remove Before Flight' tags out of aluminium foil and painted them red.

spacer.png

And here we have the finished product - ready for action alongside another Gulf War warrior, Buccaneer.

RFI is here, thank you for following :) 

• Like 2