Westland Lynx XZ250 Black Cats Questions for Revell 1/32 kit

FZ6

I'm dusted off my Revell 1/32 Lynx to do a bit of work on it and plan to paint it as XZ250 in its Black Cats Scheme as depicted in the box and have read a few of the Lynx threads and based on what I have read I've got a couple of questions on features of this specific aircraft.

1. Instrument Panel - I read that 702 NAS operated the dual control Lynx does this mean the Revell instrument panel is correct for this particular aircraft? If so, that will save me a job correcting it.

2. Rear seat. Would this aircraft have been normally fitted with the six man metal seat as included in the kit or the inflatable four man seat?

3. It looks like the short table stabiliser was fitted to this one. I was wondering how much I should cut off the kit provided one to ensure it's the correct length?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I helped with the decals for this model, the aircraft were standard HAS 3 /8 the dual controls were fitted as required in pilot training, foot pedals & sticks for the instructor to use in an emergency, thus all other standard radar dials which the RO would use were still installed. 

• Like 1

Hi FZ6,

1. Instrument panel - From my experience and having just spoken to a Black Cat SMR, the aircraft with the Black Cat schemes were radar equipped, which meant that they didn't have the second set of sticks on the left side. Which kind of makes sense in that you don't want the observer accidently nudging the controls during the display.

2. Rear seat - During my time I have never seen a 6 man seat fitted to a RN Lynx, i'm not saying they never were just that I haven't seen it. The 4 man inflatable seat is more likely to have been fitted.

3. Stabiliser - I've looked through all of my trade notes and can't find any dimensions for the stabiliser. Looking at my own model it looks far too long, in my amateur estimation I reckon it needs about 5mm removing. I can measure a real one when I can get back to work if that helps, might not be for a while.

Red

• Thanks 1

702 NAS was a training squadron, they trained pilots, observers and engineers. The Lynx when set up with dual controls didn't have any of the radar equipment fitted and was therefore absolutely no use for training observers, in order for 702 NAS to train observers they had to have radar fitted aircraft.

The conversion from radar to dual involved removing all of the radar equipment and changing the instrument panel to one with two sets of gauges and wasn't a particularly quick job. Again from what I saw and from others who also worked on them, the Black Cat schemed aircraft were radar equipped. The Black Cats most certainly did carry an observer in the port seat.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was hoping I could use the parts straight out of the box but looks like I'll have to modify the instrument panel for the radar screen and add the boxes in behind the seats.

From the pictures, it looks like there is a plate on the floor that covers the holes where the stick and pedals usually fit. I'm guessing that the collective would have been removed as well but from looking at references, the box might have to stay in place and I just need to cut the handle off.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, RedBarron said:

I can measure a real one when I can get back to work if that helps, might not be for a while.

Thanks Red, If you can let me know the correct length when you get the chance, it will be really appreciated. I'm in no rush as there is a lot of work to do on the interior before i get to this part of the build.

Might have to start a work in progress to show how I get on.

Regards,

Mark

Morning FZ6,

You'll probably need to fit the ESM boxes behind the left seat, the Sea Skua control boxes behind the right hand seat weren't fitted that often so you could get away without fitting those.

Here's a photo of the left hand cockpit floor of a Mk.8 with the panels covering the holes where the yaw pedals and cyclic fit. The Mk.3 was the same.

36016018732_5814fba8ef_c.jpg

For the collective, only the lever and the rubber boot were removed, the small slot left was covered with a small panel. So you can cut the lever off after the rubber boot and smooth it out, the box bit contained some collective flying controls that weren't removed. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of that.

It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get back to work to measure, I could do to know myself as I've got a Mk.8 on the go.

I'd love to see a work in progress, always good to see how others work.

Red

Edited by RedBarron
Adding more information
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Red,

That's a great reference shot looks like there is plenty of wiring down there not to mention that large pipe. That photo will come in useful. I've also got a MK.8 on order now so I can use the instrument panel as a guide for my MK.3.

Will set up a work in progress at some point soon.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks, that is a great reference. The lock that goes over the pedals would add a nice touch of colour.

Regarding the boxes behind the seats..... I have some photos of them I took of the MK.8 which I took at Telford. Are they the same as these in the MK.3?

49904757683_028fd5125f_b.jpg

Lynx Telford 027 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

49905270766_5cb33a391b_b.jpg

Lynx Telford 044 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Thanks,

Mark

Yes those boxes were the same. The ESM boxes on the port side were a standard fit, it was less common to see the Sea Skua boxes on the starboard side, especially for training, so typically for a display aircraft I don't think they would be fitted.

I have measured one the stabilisers at work and it was 1185mm.

My gash maths makes that a little over 37mm in 1:32, I measured my 1:32 Mk.8 one and it measures roughly 50mm so needs about 13mm removing. Checking it against a built Revell 1:32 Mk.3, 37mm looks about right.

Red

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on the boxes Red,

The MK.8 comes with the port side boxes and the empty centre rack which should be easy to copy. It will save me a task not fitting the Sea Skua boxes but when I come round to doing my MK.8 I might make some boxes for that.

Those measurements will come in handy for when I correct the tail length.

Mark