1/48th Airfix Tiger Moth, 727 NAS, RNAS Gosport 1946-48

18 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Having built a few of their 1/72 Tiger Moths (and I can attest to the flimsyness of those struts) I may have to go and get myself a 1/48 version.

Thanks for posting and for the heads up on possible problems.

She's a ripper.

Well done.

Thanks mate,.... and sorry to hear I wasn`t the only victim of the 1/72nd scale kit too! Be careful with the centre section struts, they are just as flimsy. 

11 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Well done Tony, a really lovely job you've done there! I need to crack on with mine.

Cheers mate,... looking forward to seeing yours too.

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Beautifully done Tony - I might have to get one of these! Glad you broke the rigging hoodoo - Walrus next?! :clap2:

Thanks Dunny,.... oh you know me so well! The Walrus and the Albacore have been dusted off! 

8 hours ago, Andrew Perren said:

Fantastic result.   I can't wait to build one of these.

Thanks Andrew,..... you`ll love it.

8 hours ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

I love this, it's just so perfect :) and yeah, yellow is a right bugger to paint well! But this is flawless!

Andy.

Thanks Andy,.... I don`t know about perfect or flawless mind you! 

8 hours ago, zigster said:

I was wondering for a while, how come, there are no builds of this kit.

Well... Mr tonyot to the rescue 🙂

Thanks Tony! It looks very nice after your works on it.

I guess, the rest of buyers of this kit put it in an ever growing pile of boxes :-))

Many of them claimed to buy several.

Zig

Cheers Zig,...... yeah I do try to build kits,.... although I do have a massive stash too! 

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's a beautiful model Tony. We used to get loads of these flying over our house in the 50's from Southend airport. Nice one.

Certa Cito.

John.

Thanks John,..... and Certa Cito back to yer mate,..... Scaleys rule

6 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Super build I enjoyed mine too! Completely agree with the discontinued production of Humbrol Acrylic 24 spray - now rocking horse and one of the most useful colours in the range (their cans also spray very well IMHO)!  I managed to buy up a stash from an aviation museum when I realised🙂

well done!

TT

!Cheers TT,.... well done for building yours so quickly and even more so for finding a stash of Trainer Yellow. We all need to contact Humbrol and get it re instated!

6 hours ago, RichieW said:

How lovely! Makes me want to book a flight in one as soon as lockdown is over. I used to teach an elderly lady who in her youth flew them from Biggin Hill. "That was proper flying" she used to say. :)

Cheers Richie,..... you must book a flight,.... your elderly friend was correct,...... it is REAL flying!

6 hours ago, beastieboy said:

great build and paint finish,

cracking job

Thanks mate,..... glad you like it. 

1 hour ago, gazza l said:

Very nice work. What did you use for the rigging? it looks perfectly in scale.

gazza l

Cheers Gaza,...... I tried Uschi nylon thread for the first time. 

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Excellent.  Very realistic.

Thanks John.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Absolutely stunning Tiggie Tony great work as always, I too wish Humbrol would bring back Trainer yellow Matt spray too.  Got to do a yello Anson one day.

Great model fella.

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,...... glad you like it mate. Yeah if more of us petitioned Humbrol we might get somewhere eh? We`ve done our bit anyway!

• Like 1

Splendid work Tony... you're gonna help Airfix ship quite a few of these. Smashing job and looks so right in traditional yellow. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

She’s an absolute beaut Tony, cracking work as always.

Rob

Thanks Rob,.... nice of you to say so,..... glad you like it.

28 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Stunning 

WOW,.... praise indeed,.... thanks a lot.

14 minutes ago, russ c said:

Really nice Tiger Moth, great job

Cheers Russ,..... I`m now building a second one in RAAF Foliage Green from New Guinea,...... more your type of subject! 

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Splendid work Tony... you're gonna help Airfix ship quite a few of these. Smashing job and looks so right in traditional yellow. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,..... do reckon I should be on a commission LOL? Glad you like it, overall yellow with post war markings was always my favourite colour for a Tiggie!

Cheers everybody!

Tony

• Like 1

Excellent work, Tony - that's a lovely build.

I'm waiting for the Airfix USA warehouse to come out of lockdown so I can get a hold of mine. I had been planning to build the one I flew over the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns back in 1988, but.....

We used to live at the RN Married Quarters sited on the remains of the old HMS Siskin, and I attended what was Siskin Junior School back in the early seventies, which was also built on the old landing ground. I remember watching Argosies and Andovers flying overhead on their way to Thorney Island. Happy school days, spent lying on turf that had seen the aircraft you have modelled......

• Like 1

That’s a stunner very nice indeed. Not really interested in the Tiger that much but this kit builds up into a lovely looking model. On the strength of your build and another posted not too long ago I’ve now got two winging their way to sunny Cumbria - the wife will be pleased.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 2:36 AM, Paul Bradley said:

Excellent work, Tony - that's a lovely build.

I'm waiting for the Airfix USA warehouse to come out of lockdown so I can get a hold of mine. I had been planning to build the one I flew over the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns back in 1988, but.....

We used to live at the RN Married Quarters sited on the remains of the old HMS Siskin, and I attended what was Siskin Junior School back in the early seventies, which was also built on the old landing ground. I remember watching Argosies and Andovers flying overhead on their way to Thorney Island. Happy school days, spent lying on turf that had seen the aircraft you have modelled......

Hello Paul,.... glad you like it and HMS Siskin is indeed hallowed ground. I remember it as HMS Sultan. 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, petetasker said:

That’s a stunner very nice indeed. Not really interested in the Tiger that much but this kit builds up into a lovely looking model. On the strength of your build and another posted not too long ago I’ve now got two winging their way to sunny Cumbria - the wife will be pleased.

Wow,.. thanks very much,.... but I don`t know whether to say sorry or not! You`ll love it and I`m very jealous of you up in sunny Cumbria,...one of my favourite places! 

On 5/6/2020 at 3:31 PM, moaning dolphin said:

Very nice rendition, nice to see how well this builds up, I could well be tempted with one as well now!

Bob

Thanks Bob,.... I`m very tempted to build another one as a silver and dayglow RN machine from the 60`s,..... one had a Tiger motif behind the rear cockpit that I`d like to do. 

On 5/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, Greg Law said:

Beautiful build Tony. I'm sure you have helped the sales of this kit.

Thanks very much Greg..... yeah I wonder,..... maybe I should be on commission LOL?? 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely finish. The weathering and chipping is spot on. Nice work on the rigging too. Bravo sir. 👍🙌

Johnny

Cheers Johnny and thanks for your support during the build too. 

Thanks everybody

Tony

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Absolutely superb Tony. Makes me want to try one!

Terry

Thanks Terry,..... go for it mate,.... they are only around £20 and a lovely, easy build.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

A stunning build of this Airfix newbie Tony,great finish and should help the sales along nicely too🇬🇧

Cheers Steve,...... do you reckon? Nice if it does. 

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

A super little model tony,really well done

Thanks Hewy, it does help that the kit is a little gem

Cheers again,

Tony

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, woody37 said:

Fantastic Tony, might have to get one of these as the 1/72 one would just fill the swear box!

LOL,.... cheers mate and you are SOOOOOO right about the 1/72nd kit,..... the rigging has beaten me due to those struts. I may fashion some new ones,....but some white metal ones would be ideal. 

31 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

Lovely work Tony . I imagine we will see a few more of these from you too! 

Regards 

Bruce 

Cheers Bruce,.... yeah,.... got an Aussie one on the go now mate;

DSCF7904-NEW.jpg

All the best bud,

Tony

• Like 1

Sorry to be pedantic, but as a Turk, I have to correct some issues....

The married quarters at Rowner- now private (and Siskin School, where my son went)- are on the old RAF Gosport (originally Grange Aerodrome- named after Fort Grange which is still there) site. The present day HMS Sultan is also based on the old airfield, and uses the old hangers. I can remember parts of the old taxiways being there, but when Sultan expanded they were built on. The modern day Rowner Road follows one of the runways. If it’s a Navy Tiger Moth it’s from RNAS Lee-on-Solent, which later became HMS Daedalus. RAF Gosport was a torpedo bomber base. My dad can remember the aircraft practising in Stokes Bay. Siskin School, the headmistress told me, is named after the AW Siskin that were based at Grange in the 20’s. 
Like Paul, I remember all the planes over Gosport. We knew them all. You could always tell an Argosy- it sounded like nothing else. Gnats, blue and dayglo Wessexes, the green and white ‘admiral’s barge’ Whirlwind. Later on, the two Hunters and a Canberra from FRADU pretending to be an Exocet armed jet so the ships on the Solent could calibrate their radar. Hovercraft from Daedalus crossing the road by their own traffic lights on the slipway. I can remember Sea Vixens, and when the Navy got its Phantoms it was the biggest noise I’d ever heard. I was 5 when they first appeared at the Daedalus airshow, and I hid in my dad’s legs when it flew over. Oh man! That takes me back....

Edited by Andy Robbins