RECCE FORCE, M3A1 STUART TANK, 1/35 ITALERI

UPDATE 00:

Hi Pals,

A new model, this time back to the 2nd WW, is the Stuart light tank, represented by an Italeri kit, (which can be an Academy rebox?), and which has been a gift.

This model has always attracted me a lot, because although small, it has a lot of personality in my opinion. I never did one of these before, and there were options on the market at different scales, but in the end there were other models that took me away from it.

The version that I like is the M3, in its different configurations, but not the M5, which with the addition of its turret, makes it lose its charm.

The kit that concerns me, seems of quite quality, for the price it has, since it includes a fairly complete interior (it will be my first interior), and two sets of tracks, some vinyl and others link-to-link, I'll see for which I decide, because I am not going to do saggy, and what difficulty do the singles have ...

It also includes leftover pieces, which are, I think, for the British version of the Stuart, the Honey, which I also love, and according to this one, later on it would be a candidate to build ...

I hope to start soon, thanks for watch and comment, and TC

Cheers Francis 👍

zkOoOj6.jpg

OJom1BC.jpg

A9Qyqep.jpg

L6ONX2W.jpg

DZPbYam.jpg

Jc1QhDc.jpg

OEy1CUx.jpg

P16BTbN.jpg

hrGJL4l.jpg

jWtps0x.jpg

kamHLh8.jpg

8v83YEM.jpg

KPK4KGl.jpg

9RAGP1k.jpg

ZN169bk.jpg

26lebLC.jpg

zlNYlMq.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Francis, nice little project, tag along if I may.  I've the Honey boxing of it somewhere so I'll keep an eye on how it goes together, dont fancy the multipart tracks though!

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

ouch those indi-link tracks look a nightmare without some sort of jig. but look forward to watching this, I too have a soft spot and built the M5 plus Verlinden interior and PanzerArt sand bags a few years back - personally I think my best model)

• Thanks 1

Hi Francis. This is quite a good kit. I built a NZ version a couple of years ago and I used the rubber band tracks as there's nothing wrong with the appearance of them once they are on and painted and weathered. I didn't fancy spending the next five years assembling those individual ones!!

John.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks interesting Francis, I’m not sure about those individual links though, they look really small!

Hi Phil,

Many thanks dor your kind words, You're right, they are not 1/72, but the "teeth" are too small for me ...
We'll see...
Cheers an TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

Hi Francis,

A few years back I contemplated academy's 'honey' but I backed off because the caunter was a bit intimidating both in terms of taping as well as colour choice. The sprue layout appears to be the same except for the turret. Cool choice of decal options Italeri provided, revell does that too with their reboxes. From a glance the vinyl tracks don't look too bad at all. I always appreciate it when companies suply both options and still keep the price affordable, just like trumpeters kv range. This appears to be a fun kit,

Cheers,

Ernst.

Edited by Ernst
  • Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 19:52, Hamden said:

Interesting project mind if I follow along?

Stay safe           Roger

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for your like and interest, of course not, the more we are, the more fun ... 🙂, glad.

Cheers and TC too

Francis 👍

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 19:55, Dads203 said:

Looking forward to seeing you work on this Francis, 

I built the old Tamiya kit a whole ago and it was a really enjoyable build.

:thumbsup:

Hi Dan

Many thanks for your like and interest, I imagine that although it is a very old kit, its quality will be the usual of Tamiya, very good assemblies and very clear instructions. This one I don't think is that good, but since it seems to be an Academy rebox, I think it will be somewhat better than the Italeri standards.

Cheers and TC

Francis 👍

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 07:43, Jasper dog said:

Hi Francis, nice little project, tag along if I may.  I've the Honey boxing of it somewhere so I'll keep an eye on how it goes together, dont fancy the multipart tracks though!

Atb

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

many thanks for your like and interest, I start to think that those tracks are going to be too much for me ...

Cheers and TC

Francis 👍

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 08:49, robw_uk said:

ouch those indi-link tracks look a nightmare without some sort of jig. but look forward to watching this, I too have a soft spot and built the M5 plus Verlinden interior and PanzerArt sand bags a few years back - personally I think my best model)

Hi Rob,

many thanks for your kind comments, I'm afraid that without jig (which is not included in the kit), this is going to be very difficult to finish, I'm going to try them anyway, because I always have plan B (the vinyl pair) ... lol
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 10:52, Bullbasket said:

Hi Francis. This is quite a good kit. I built a NZ version a couple of years ago and I used the rubber band tracks as there's nothing wrong with the appearance of them once they are on and painted and weathered. I didn't fancy spending the next five years assembling those individual ones!!

John.

Hi John, 

many thanks for your comments, and for the info, if you say it is of a certain quality, great.
As I commented before, I will try the link tracks, but I do not rule out plan B.
If I can find a way to get the job going "fast", well, if not, I'll have to resign myself ... lol.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 18:00, Ernst said:

Hi Francis,

A few years back I contemplated academy's 'honey' but I backed off because the caunter was a bit intimidating both in terms of taping as well as colour choice. The sprue layout appears to be the same except for the turret. Cool choice of decal options Italeri provided, revell does that too with their reboxes. From a glance the vinyl tracks don't look too bad at all. I always appreciate it when companies suply both options and still keep the price affordable, just like trumpeters kv range. This appears to be a fun kit,

Cheers,

Ernst.

Hi Ernst,
many thanks for your comments. I would love to make a Honey (or another similar tank), with a Caunter, but as you say, it is a difficult job, because of the masking above all, and then the set of chosen colors, it does not seem to be easy to hit, and make a adequate weathering ...
This will go green, so I feel more comfortable with painting and subsequent tasks.
I have seen that the kit is really competitively priced for what it offers, various decorations. double set of tracks, and a fairly complete interior (although I don't know, what you will really see later), all finished with a fairly acceptable quality in the kit.
As you say, it looks like a fun kit, without many problems ... just what we need now ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Ernst,
many thanks for your comments. I would love to make a Honey (or another similar tank), with a Caunter, but as you say, it is a difficult job, because of the masking above all, and then the set of chosen colors, it does not seem to be easy to hit, and make a adequate weathering ...
This will go green, so I feel more comfortable with painting and subsequent tasks.
I have seen that the kit is really competitively priced for what it offers, various decorations. double set of tracks, and a fairly complete interior (although I don't know, what you will really see later), all finished with a fairly acceptable quality in the kit.
As you say, it looks like a fun kit, without many problems ... just what we need now ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.

Hi Francis,

I really liked the blue on the honey but it appears to be not common and after glancing this article about the Bellman I thought this would be a couple of weight classes above my level. I have a spot for these kind of kits, the airfix rendition of the honey has a paint sceme reminiscent takom's grant, I never knew this existed.

You can't go wrong with green, it's an excellent suit for this cute little tank, it has got it all, the profile, the stance the rivets. Brave decision to try the indy links especially in this size.

There is a company called hobbytrax that sell metal  jigs for a fair amount of tanks including the stuart although it's an m3a3 (suspension looks similar at first glance) but for me it would make more sense to buy it if I'd make a lot of the same tanks so you can use it repeatedly. It's cheaper than friuls however. Redfrog hobbys sells them even for a lower price but ...shipping costs.

I have struggled quite a bit with indy links in the past  but I use a metal ruler as a jig. In the picture you can see the (awful) plastic tracks of a lorraine schlepper. I placed them in the ridge so they align more or less correctly, in better kits it worked fine for me. For larger tracks I place them on the low tac tape (sticky part up) and use the ruler for proper alignment. 

spacer.png

Francis, I believe you have given me the solution for my type 74 in your comments, I may have found the product I was looking for. I'll do a 60 mile bike ride tomorrow, it's going to be marvelous and a friend of mine just confirmed he's joining in.

Take care and thank you,

Cheers,

Ernst 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ernst said:

Hi Francis,

I really liked the blue on the honey but it appears to be not common and after glancing this article about the Bellman I thought this would be a couple of weight classes above my level. I have a spot for these kind of kits, the airfix rendition of the honey has a paint sceme reminiscent takom's grant, I never knew this existed.

You can't go wrong with green, it's an excellent suit for this cute little tank, it has got it all, the profile, the stance the rivets. Brave decision to try the indy links especially in this size.

There is a company called hobbytrax that sell metal  jigs for a fair amount of tanks including the stuart although it's an m3a3 (suspension looks similar at first glance) but for me it would make more sense to buy it if I'd make a lot of the same tanks so you can use it repeatedly. It's cheaper than friuls however. Redfrog hobbys sells them even for a lower price but ...shipping costs.

I have struggled quite a bit with indy links in the past  but I use a metal ruler as a jig. In the picture you can see the (awful) plastic tracks of a lorraine schlepper. I placed them in the ridge so they align more or less correctly, in better kits it worked fine for me. For larger tracks I place them on the low tac tape (sticky part up) and use the ruler for proper alignment. 

Francis, I believe you have given me the solution for my type 74 in your comments, I may have found the product I was looking for. I'll do a 60 mile bike ride tomorrow, it's going to be marvelous and a friend of mine just confirmed he's joining in.

Take care and thank you,

Cheers,

Ernst 👍

Hi Ernst,

I have an AK Caunter set, I don't know how it would look on a model, but I have it reserved just in case ...
I think the indy links are going to be "a bit too big" for me, but I lose nothing by trying, because since I have them ...
Fortunately I have the others, if necessary.

Thanks for the info about the jigs, I did not know about their existence, but as you say, even if they are moderately priced, if they are not going to be used a lot and you add probable shipping costs, it does not seem that they are recommended.
From what I have seen in the forum over time, jigs are usually made "ad hoc", by the modeller himself, adapting to his ability and need of the moment, with more or less success in the task.
For the photo that you include, it is curious, but I also use a very similar method, because by dint of how to assemble those tracks, you put your brain to work, to see that you "invent" and come out successful, by common sense, the result It's similar.

At first I used masking tape (T34 AFV tracks), where I was sticking the links, and a straight side to align them, but it is not a very good method, because you have to choose the glue well, so that it does not stick to it.

I have something similar, but with "depressants" (the wooden utensil that doctors use, when they tell you open your mouth and say AHHH! .. lol).
Adjusted in height and width with tape, they go very well, and are very cheap ...

Happy to help, I hope you bring "provisions", because 60 miles on a bike, is not for "timid legs" ... lol. Lucky you can go that far, I still, if I wanted to, couldn't. Enjoy the ride.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robw_uk said:

Masking the caunter on the Matilda isn't too bad. I for one would try it again on another kit

Hi Rob,

I have to try it one day, but without a doubt, the modeling skill is essential for a good job to be done, and yours is very good, for the moment, I think I would not get a good result.
Cheers
Francis.

• Like 1

UPDATE 01:

Hi Pals,

Starting with the kit, without further delay, the first thing is the undercarriage assemblies, which have been assembled very well and smoothly.
I am liking the quality of the kit, easy and without delay due to poor adjustment.
The rear wheels have a small detail, which I had not noticed, only when I took the photo, and I saw it enlarged, and it is a small weld seam on the spokes, although I do not think it will be seen once painted and weathered .. .

Union of the complete train in the hull, with some sanding in pieces, nothing important.
I will leave it fixed, to give it consistency in case of using the vinyl tracks ... which will surely be the chosen ones.

The following are the tracks, the most difficult part of the kit, and less fun (at least for me ...).
I am going to try how to "automate" the process to see, although laborious, if it is fluid, otherwise I will resort to the "lifeguard" of Plan B ... lol

I do not expect more progress for now, because if the tracks are not vinyl, it will take too long for one reason, if not, I will quickly get inside, which will be the first for me.

Cheers and TC mates.
Francis.👍

WQIb0yc.jpg

REtev5C.jpg

Ck2bKGP.jpg

uoAuj4z.jpg

hR8ldXt.jpg

• Like 3

UPDATE 02:

Hi Pals,

Continuing with the assembly of the model, as I thought, the indy-links tracks have been too complicated for me,
although I tried several "tricks", I did not find any really effective, the culprit was definitely, the "teeth", as
they are not included as a single piece in each link, if not the opposite, it is necessary to add them to these, plus
2 for each one (left and right), so the work is too long, and very complex (at least for me).

Looking closely at those of a piece, its detail is more than acceptable, since its surface has no drawing, they are
smooth, so there is no difference, and the teeth, after seeing them carefully, there is no difference that justifies
the use of others, so it does not represent a displeasure to me.

In a moment, they are in their place, and I can dedicate myself to other matters that I like more. I have had to join
them with "staples" so that they were well joined, although taking care not to see them.

I began to paint the parts that go inside, before assembly, at least with their main colors, and adding some
weathering, although I suspect that once the model is assembled, it will look very little ... it will still serve me
as practice.

Once dry, I assembled the pieces inside, with some paint adjustments, and a change of handles for others made of
copper.

Next step, first base coat.
Cheers mates and TC

Francis 👍

65cdYPh.jpg

0ZOIWLm.jpg

rEtZhPD.jpg

bhACUzy.jpg

oYZBMHy.jpg

d9RxStm.jpg

ObYkmkr.jpg

AANWRPo.jpg