Asphalt Effects Weathering Set (AK 8090)

Mike

Asphalt Effects Weathering Set (AK 8090)

AK Interactive

boxtop.jpg

If you’re an armour, air or a vehicle modeller, there’s bound to be a time where you want to depict a model that has been used extensively on the road, whether it’s a dry, wet or even frozen surface.  The accumulations of dusty dirt, traffic film and mud are a common theme of road use, and are difficult to achieve in-scale.  This set from AK is designed to help you achieve this.

I have to start this with an apology to AK though, as they sent these samples in November (IIRC) 2019, but as I was refitting my workshop they absent-mindedly got put in a box that has been "elsewhere" until now.  I’m sorry! :blush: You’ll be seeing a number of other AK items over the coming week or two, so keep an eye out.

ak8090.jpg

The set arrives in a clear plastic clamshell box, and inside are three 35ml plastic bottles with black screw-top lids that are safety sealed until you open them for the first time.  Although they are tagged “Race Set”, they’re equally useful for the genres mentioned above, so even if you’re not a car modeller, read on.  Two bottles are filled with pigments while the other is filled with an acrylic splatter liquid and labelled “Dirt”, a name that it lives up to with a general brownish grey colour viscous liquid inside.  In addition, there is a small folded instruction booklet that for my own comfort I read with my Optivisor on, as my eyesight is shocking these days and the text is necessarily small.  I have received so many other weathering sets from other companies that came without any instructions whatsoever, so it was refreshing to see some help being given without expecting you to buy the latest book or magazine to find out how to use the product you’ve just paid for.  I’ve scanned it for your delight, to give you an idea of how to use them if my description confuse you.

instructions.jpg

The splatter effect is splashed on either by flicking a stiff brush with your thumb, or by using the air from your airbrush to liberate tiny specks from any kind of brush, giving you better control over the location of the landing zone.  The pigments, one labelled Asphalt Road Dirt, the other City Dirt are a grey brown and light greyish shade respectively. They can be used dry to flick or dab onto the wet splashes or other parts of the vehicle, or wetted with white spirit and used to create larger clumps or splodges around wheel-arches or side skirts.  If you’re doing a vehicle with an accumulation of mud in the arches, this is the ideal method, adding little and often, with snow coloured pigments from your own stock added along the way if it suits your needs.

Conclusion

A handy one-box solution that doesn’t leave you clueless how to use it, and with a generous helping of each component in the large screw-top pots.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, richellis said:

Would this give a well used on the roads effect, or more on/off road?

You can use it on both TBH, but it's more aimed at offroad or extreme road/winter road.  Have another squint at the instructions, as you should be able to read them :)