Mikoyan Ye-2a A&A Models 1/72

The Ye-2 was the first of the series that evolved into the MiG 21. It had a swept wing but MiG changed to the Delta wing for the subseqent versions. The Ye-2a was very different, actually a version of the Ye-5, the first MiG 21, with a swept wing.

I have finally finished this model after it has been sitting 95% complete for over six months because it was so much trouble that I could not find the motivation to finish it.

It is one one of those kits that sucks the joy out of modelling. Zillions of tiny parts, many of which don't quite fit. The final straw was that after shaving the cockpit so that I could get it into the fuselage I then found that the canopy was too wide, suggesting that the fuselage was too narrow. Another major problem, which seems common to A&A, Modelsvit and AModel is the way the wing is assembled. The underside is fitted into a space in the underside of the top surface. This gives a nice, sharp trailing edge but the underside piece is too thick and requires a lot of scraping and fiddling about to get it to fit. I have a Ye-5 to do and now they have brought out a kit of the Ye-50. Am I strong enough to continue?

Rant over.

Everthing is straight from the box except the nose probe. I modified it by fitting a piece of 8mm tube between the front and rear sections as the original did not look good and looked like it could be easily broken.

The finish is Alclad Aluminium. The kit specifies gray for the canopy but I have my doubts.

John

p?i=6d07e60d52b7e172eedf568312ba1cde

p?i=d27cba84a2a8f80bc80e1c78e235b2c7

p?i=01395570d62ebc1cffbd2e6b72ede61c

Here is where it has been since last September!

p?i=394199afb2f57e8c3cee478c994dc7dc

• Like 11

Totally recognize the situation & glad that you decided to finish it.

It's far better looking outside the box finished than inside and never seeing daylight.

I don't know much about jet fighters, but thats a great looking aircraft.

P.S.: just noticed your signature => i double agree with that!