Grumman Martlet Mk.IV - On Deck with Folded Wings - Airfix 1/72

On 04/05/2020 at 12:52, SAT69 said:

There's nothing wrong with your paint work and your build is exceptional. Display proudly!

Thank you very much SAT69! I will!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 04/05/2020 at 12:56, F-32 said:

Lovely build, very nicely done

Hi F-32 and thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Stix

Well, what a superb build that is!

I don't see many wing-fold jobs that haven't used aftermarket resin, so my hat's off to you.

The figures are extremely good also.

I too have used the new/old RAF & USAAF personnel for posing with aircraft and I agree the soft (vinyl?) plastic is tricky to work with.

Did you use any sort of undercoat or primer to get the paint to stick to them?

Anyway, extraordinarily good work!

👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 13:18, Truro Model Builder said:

A very nice build, and I complement you as well on your photography as well, which has allowed you to show it off very well.

Good morning and thank you very much for your kind comments. I must admit I enjoy trying to take reasonable photos of my builds as well as making the kits.

Thank you again. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 13:51, IanC said:

Smashing. I love the low angle photography, and the little flight deck scene at the end - even if the pilot is in the wrong shade of blue! 😄 

I'm going to have a go at brush painting a model having got sick of the tyranny of masking and airbrush cleaning. Hope I can achieve something like this. 

Hi Ian and thank you for your very kind comments. I do enjoy taking photos and always try to take some of the photos from a low angle - to give an impression of how the original aircraft, tank, etc. would have been seen by people. Yeah the colour of the pilot is down to my eventual impatience with the figures. I wasn't originally planning on using any of the three I ended up using. I had intended to have just mechanics and so on working on the aircraft and deck items - but the figures were too awful to clean up and use which meant I just threw some paint on these just to have some figures on deck. I had researched a bit into the colours for the mechanics' overalls but just slapped some paint on these three to get them done! Live and learn!

Good luck with the brush painting - for the most part I do find the process quite relaxing. As you say - no masking, no cleaning up of the equipment, no overspray, no spluttering when the kit doesn't work properly, etc!! I have never owned an airbrush so have never experienced any of these issues and have often read about these issues and thought - nope - it's not for me! However - I can't achieve some of the amazing results some of you airbrush users get - but I'm usually happy with my results. A good thing is - if something starts to go wrong while brush painting - it's easy to stop instantly and clean off the paint! - well if you are using acrylics it is!

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 04/05/2020 at 14:14, binbrook87 said:

Wow! Your brush painting skills are to be applauded 👏👏 fantastic result

Hi binbrook87 and thank you very much for your kind comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Lovely job and a credit to your modelling and painting skills. Those wing folds are brilliant and at least double the number of models you can fit on a shelf! BONUS!

Edited by Horatio Gruntfuttock
missing word.
  • Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 15:38, almac said:

Fantastic build and brush painting. top job.

Cheers Allan

Good morning Allan. Thank you very much for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

No Martlet / Wildcat collection is complete until it has a folded wing version as part of it.  I would be proud to have this one in my  display cabinet.  Excellent photography too!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 18:16, Rob K. said:

Very nice build with great detail. 👍

Thank you Rob, very kind of you to say. 

Kind regards,

Stix

On 04/05/2020 at 19:28, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Sublime 👍

Iain

Thank you very much Iain! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 04/05/2020 at 21:02, russ c said:

Excellent Martlet and Dio`, great job

Hi Russ and thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 04/05/2020 at 22:08, modelling minion said:

Another brilliant Stix build and diorama.

I really like your Martlet Stix and have just noticed the braces you have made for stowing the wings, its details like this that help make your builds stand out.

Very well done my friend.

Hi Craig. I hope you and yours are all keeping well. Thank you for your kind comments as always. :thumbsup: I can't claim too much about the braces - Airfix do provide some but they were both about a couple of mm too short - either through my poor assembly skills or Airfix not planning for any variables. I ended up using some styrene rod to make my own.

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I can't claim too much about the braces - Airfix do provide some but they were both about a couple of mm too short - either through my poor assembly skills or Airfix not planning for any variables. I ended up using some styrene rod to make my own.

Glad to know it didn't just happen to me!

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 22:54, DaveyGair said:

Marvellous build. Was gonna do the one I've got but after seeing yours I may do a Sea Hurricane instead!  I look at these builds that been brushed painted and don't know how you lot obtain a finish like that. I tried it in the recent Stuka STGB and I wasn't overly happy with the result. What's the secret?

:goodjob:

Davey.

Hi Davey and thank you very much for your very kind comments. No secret - just thinned acrylic paints with various flat brushes. There's a link at the bottom of my signature, at the bottom of each of my posts, to a YouTube video I made a while back showing how I do my basic painting. I know some modellers don't have the signatures displayed - so if you search online for 'youtube plastix painting with flat brushes' you should be able to find it.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 23:17, stevehnz said:

A beautiful job on that. could easily be mistaken for a bigger scale, your paintwork is truly top shelf. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve and thank you, as always, for your most kind comments! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 23:33, stevej60 said:

Top quality work Stix,great finish.

Hi Steve and thank you very much. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 5/6/2020 at 10:56 AM, PlaStix said:

- I can't achieve some of the amazing results some of you airbrush users get - but I'm usually happy with my results.

Stix

I think the effects you achieve are pretty amazing in their own right. 

• Thanks 1