Grumman Martlet Mk.IV - On Deck with Folded Wings - Airfix 1/72

That looks great, I'm going to have to look at the WIP to see how you did the wing fold, I've seen a few on here now and it's making me wonder if I should have a go at this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Fantastic result Stix 👍

Great to see you presenting another completed build in RFI. 

Cheers Greg 

Hi Greg. I hope you are keeping well in these 'odd' times. Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with your paint work and your build is exceptional. Display proudly!

• Thanks 1

Smashing. I love the low angle photography, and the little flight deck scene at the end - even if the pilot is in the wrong shade of blue! 😄 

I'm going to have a go at brush painting a model having got sick of the tyranny of masking and airbrush cleaning. Hope I can achieve something like this. 

Edited by IanC
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

Fantastic build and once again a superb finish. Off to check out your WIP thread!

Hi Dave. Hope you are well. Thank you very much for your kind comments. I hope you found the WIP thread interesting.

Kind regards,

Stix

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Beautiful finish and love the wing fold detail! :clap2:

Thank you very much Dunny, most kind! :thumbsup:

The detail on the edge was a bit plain from the box - so it's amazing what some bits of styrene, some lead wire plus a few extra holes can add!

Kind regards,

Stix

7 hours ago, rob85 said:

A beautiful build Stix, the brush magician, really glad you over to the GB.

Rob

Hi Rob. Hope you are keeping well. Thank you very much and, as I said, thank you very much for running the 'In the Navy' GB so well. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

7 hours ago, Aces High said:

That looks great, I'm going to have to look at the WIP to see how you did the wing fold, I've seen a few on here now and it's making me wonder if I should have a go at this.

Hi Aces High and thank you for your comments. Please let me know if you if you want any more information about how I did the wing fold extras.

Kind regards,

Stix

10 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Fabulous build Stix, where did you get the figures? Or rather what make are they? 

cheers Rich

Hi Rich. I hope you are well. Thank you very much for your kind comments. The figures are the 1/76 ones from the new 'Classic' Airfix range. They are the RAF Personnel and USAAF Personnel sets - which are their old sets in new packaging. The figures themselves are reasonably nicely detailed. The problem is the amount of flash and heavy seam lines on each figure (and piece of equipment) and the fact that the figures are made from the same rubbery plastic they always were. The material, I find, almost makes it impossible to clean up all the seams and flash. I could cut any firm seams and flash away with a sharp scalpel blade but any soft seams or flash just bend under even the sharpest blade. I tried using the finest wet'n'dry paper I had, but it still leaves a furry surface behind. I also tried other abrasives with worse results. It's a shame really - if the material they are made from wasn't so soft and rubbery they would actually be quite good. My other issue with them was their size. Being 1/76 from Airfix they do look a little small next to Airfix's 1/72nd aircraft! I managed to find the three figures I used in the scene, which had the least flash and the smallest seams. Each figure still took me about an hour each to clean up!

Hopefully Airfix will sort this out at some point.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix

Marvellous build. Was gonna do the one I've got but after seeing yours I may do a Sea Hurricane instead!  I look at these builds that been brushed painted and don't know how you lot obtain a finish like that. I tried it in the recent Stuka STGB and I wasn't overly happy with the result. What's the secret?

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Thanks 1