My other build in the group should be wrapped up in the next day or so.

And with there still being two months left running on this GB, think I can squeeze this one through. 
(I'm also planning on starting two other builds for the Journey's end GB that starts on Friday...) 

2020-05-04_08-51-38

I'm pretty certain I'll be doing the box art colour scheme as I already have the paints. Picked up the Vallejo model air medium sea grey and faded P.R.U blue last year when I was about to start this kit, but then got distracted and built a PR Mossie instead :rofl:

Aaron

• Like 10

Slowly been working away on this, base colours have been done in the cockpit and sealed with a clear coat. Next up some oil washes and dry brushing.

2020-05-08_09-44-20

Whilst looking around for reference photos came across this - 360 degree interactive photo of a Spitfre cockpit. Pretty neat! 

https://www.haraldjoergens.com/panoramas/spitfire-td314/ 

Aaron

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cockpit is now finished! 

I may have managed to mix up the compass and the fuel tank cap parts like a clown. I did realise before everything was glued together, so sorted that out.
I'm still not sure how I managed that, as I remember thinking the part didn't look right some how and double checked the part number. 

I've left the cockpit fairly clean this around. 

Used Tamiya cockpit green to start, then brown oil wash before dry brushing with the charming rotting flesh colour from Games Workshop. 

And some snaps of the progress

IMAG0686

IMAG0684

IMAG0680

Fuselage is buttoned up now. Made a start on the cowling. My tactic with this was to seat the parts in place in the fuselage and then working front to back joining small bits at a time with TET. While the TET was setting used the tip of a cocktail stick to poke the side to try and check them joining parts were flush. 

It's still going to need more work. I've aquired some Mr Surfacer 500 & 1500 which I've not used yet so this looks like an ideal time to give it a whirl. 

Wheel wells have been glued into place and sprayed P.R.U Blue (along with the insides of the air cooler)

Aaron 

• Like 9

Thats looking really neat and clean Aaron... They are great cockpits in the Eduard Spits... I have the Brassin cockpit in the one I'm currently building, but to be honest, by the time everything is buttoned up, there really isnt much advantage at all... I won't be using one again. Yours is a great example of why I shouldn't bother. Very good work.

I hope you do do the box art colour scheme... it will be an interesting finish to replicate. Following...

On 11/05/2020 at 12:28, Bill Livingston said:

I hope you do do the box art colour scheme

That's the one I've settle on in the end. I did buy the needed paints for it a while ago, so it would be a bit silly to not use them. 
(Although I've still got a hankering to do another desert camo - I do have the Airfix Tomahawk tucked away for that) 

Thanks for the comments on the cockpit. I found yours and the brassin bits do look really nice. But as you say, the stuff straight out of the box does a good job at making the place look busy. I probably should have added a few bits of wire in there to spruce it up a bit..... but I'll image I'll build another one in the future.

I've been badgering away with the rest of the build. It's been pretty straight forward. The cowl join looks ok - but I'm sure the first coat of primer will say otherwise! 

Had another go at using cut up sponge to block up the cockpit which I seem to have got the hang of now. 

Remembered to glue in the little rod behind the headrest. 

Found the fit of the air coolers a bit iffy. Not entirely sure what I doing wrong as the parts looked to have been cleaned up properly. Meh. It's done now and after a brief attach with a flex-i-file and sandpaper looks ok. 

Going to give it a wipe down with some IPA now to get rid of any finger grease / dust / etc before priming. 
Never bothered to wipe down pre priming before be recently noticed on some builds that the paint does seem to have a tendency to wear back to plastic in some areas where heavy handling occurs. So interest to see if it make any difference. 

IMAG0699

IMAG0698

Can't help but think that I've given this plane a blonde Afro with that sponge jammed in there.

Aaron

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

Found the fit of the air coolers a bit iffy. Not entirely sure what I doing wrong as the parts looked to have been cleaned up properly. Meh. It's done now and after a brief attach with a flex-i-file and sandpaper looks ok. 

Aaron

I had exactly the same issue. I mounted the sides first so I could airbrush the interiors and mask the radiator grilles, but looking at yours, you had the sand the same parts I had to to get them right. Still, compared to some kits, its not bad at all... I'm enjoying the Eduard Spits... (I have another three to build after this one, but they will be all OOB... the Brassin stuff looks good and its enjoyable to build, but one fully kitted out is enough!).

I look forward to your next post...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bill Livingston said:

I had exactly the same issue. I mounted the sides first so I could airbrush the interiors and mask the radiator grilles, but looking at yours, you had the sand the same parts I had to to get them right. Still, compared to some kits, its not bad at all... I'm enjoying the Eduard Spits... (I have another three to build after this one, but they will be all OOB... the Brassin stuff looks good and its enjoyable to build, but one fully kitted out is enough!).

I look forward to your next post...

And having the same experience with my coolers as well..

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

Glad it's not just me having some grief with the coolers then!

After a coat of primer the coolers look fine. As expected have had to put some more Mr Surfacer 500 down along the cowl join and under the fuselage. 

Don't think there's much more I can do while I wait for the surfacer to dry. 

Last night I did briefly contemplate trying to fit the etched torque links(? not sure if that's the right name) to the undercarriage legs. Got as far as cutting one off and started to file off a burr before it started to twist out of shape. I need some decent needle nosed pliers. So I took the easy way out and opted for the plastic ones instead. 

To date my best success with etched is getting the the bit fitted for the drop tank leaver / control thingy fitted into the cockpit of this Spitfire! 

More than likely going to spend the rest of the day faffing around with my Avenger build now. But I next I should be able to make a start on spraying the P.R.U blue

Speaking of which, I'm not sure which paint out for the blue or grey will be darker. But spraying the blue first should make masking easier. As I've already fitted the doors for the tail wheel and the boundary for the colours runs through those parts. Darn. 

Aaron

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

But spraying the blue first should make masking easier. As I've already fitted the doors for the tail wheel and the boundary for the colours runs through those parts. Darn. 

I usually hold off on adding the tail wheel assembly and doors till painting is done, sometimes until decals even. It makes masking a whole lot easier and I never break parts. 

• Like 2

Touch wood, as yet, I haven't knocked anything off.... It is probably just a matter of time! 

Now we have more paint! So was primed black and then given a mottle coat. Top and bottle have been sprayed and last night sprayed some gloss.

IMAG0716

IMAG0717 IMAG0718

The cowl join isn't perfect but not far off,  although lost no detail. So I'm happy enough with the result. 

Was also particularly pleased with my masking around the canons. 

Contemplating adding a grey filter over the entire thing....

Aaron

• Like 4

This is looking very good... and you are fast... I cant believe you are at gloss coating already! The marbling has worked really well and you have nice variations... 

You'll be finished over the weekend at this rate... and it is looking excellent. This is going to be a very interesting model of a very rarely done finish... This is seriously good model making, we will all learn a lot from this.

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind comments @Bill Livingston  I caught on your build last night and it's looking cracking! 

I've been idle in the Spitfire for a few days as I've been working on my Sherman over in the Journeys End GB, in part because I'm not entirely sure on what my plan of action is going to be. 

I had been dithering with the idea of a grey filter, but think I'll just make a start on the decals later today. 

Aaron

• Like 2

Thanks @matto21 :smile:

I've done a few bits on the Spitfire. 

Undercarriage is now in place. Masked off the exhausts and brush painted them. 

And all the decals are on ^_^ Well all apart from two, but we'll not talk of them.

I did find the the wind walk lines didn't quite fit...

IMAG0735

I'm not sure if they should look like that, but it was really irritating me so they got extended with one of the unused decals. 

IMAG0736

Also made a start on the wing tip lights. 

I have a cunning plan for them. 
Silver to start with, then I'll use some Tamiya clear red & Green.  Then going to add a little bit of Tamiya smoke to the corners to try and create a bit of 3D effect.
It may not work as intended, watch this space.

Everything has been sealed with a coat of Klear and left for over a day now. So later today I'll crack on with a panel line wash. 

IMAG0737

Aaron

• Like 5

That’s looking really nice Aaron. The combination of extended wing tips and high altitude scheme certainly make this one stand out against other marks and schemes. 

I really like the subtle colour variation you’ve achieved with the grey. 

Steve

• Like 2

Thank you gents! 

I panel line washed the top and bottom on Saturday. 

Used Winsor & Newton Payne's Grey which does have a blue hue to it in my eye, so works well with this scheme. 

Applied - 

IMAG0746

This was left for 30+ ish minutes before buffing off using an old t-shirt. 

I've found that when using cotton swabs / q-tips dipped in odourless thinner in the past that it can affect the paint underneath. 

So I like to avoid using any thinner on the clean up stage. If needed in any tricky locations (wing roots / guns etc) I'll use a brush slightly dampened in thinner to tidy up.}

Post Wash - 

IMAG0747

And started spraying some grime onto some of the more prominent panel lines. 
Used a drop if Tamiya rubber black & red brown into half an airbrush cups worth of thinner. 

IMAG0749

I opted to paint all the parts for the prop separately and glue together afterwards - and the fit was good enough that I got away with it! Phew. 
I did however manage to knock off the central pin for mounting the prop to fuselage. Not entirely sure how, but none the less managed it. So drilled a hole where I snapped the pin off from and will us a cocktail stick or something to bodge it into place at a later date....

Made a start on the etch for the canopy handle and mirror. The folding was not as traumatic as I'd imagined ^_^

Aaron

• Like 5

Some update pictures on the weathering progress...

IMAG0766

IMAG0764

IMAG0762

The underside engine streaks are some black and brown oils added as separate layers, with a few spots recoated to darken the effect in places one the first cost had dried. 

Exhaust streaks started as dark grey oil streaks, then added black pastel followed by some light grey. And then I got a great big oily finger print into one of them :swear:
After correcting they are a bit too dark for my liking now. 

Likewise the wing root weathering went a bit array and any attempts at correcting seemed to making things worse so I've left them now. 

It's all a learning curve I guess and I've got an Airfix Tomahawk that will be getting done at some point soon, so the bits I've improved / learned from these two Spitfire builds should come in handy! 

I've added a tiny amount of chipping which I'm happy with. 

The access door has been given a bit of rub with light grey and brown to try and look like dirt and dust build up. 
(I couldn't face doing the etched bit for the access door!)

It's all been sealed now with some Mr Hobby flat coat. 

Think all that's left to do now is add some more pastel chalk to the wheels, chip and weather the prop, finish off the last two bits of etch for the canopy and unmask the canopy. 

Aaron

• Like 2

This one's all done and dusted now. Finished it before the weekend but only just getting round to taking some snaps.

Added some pics to the gallery along with the Vb Trop. 

DSCF1732

DSCF1733

DSCF1731

DSCF1738

Thanks for following along and comments along the way :D

Aaron

• Like 4

That ended up looking absolutely fabulous...

Your thin paint coats mean the rivets took wash really well without over exaggerating them, very subtle and very nice... even around the cockpit framing. Good job! Tthe panel lines look heavily weathered, more so than earlier, did you add a bit more later on, or was that how they looked after the matt coat? Either way, it looks like a suitably worn and heavily used Spitfire... You must be really pleased the way it turned out... 

Thats a really interesting paint job too, and one I hadn't considered before... I'll add that to my 'to do' list (which, for Spitfires, is getting longer every day).

• Like 1