Hello everyone... With my RF-4B Phantom shelved due to unforeseen circumstances. I decided to go dig in my stash. I found three Kits that would fall under the rules, though two of them are slated for the Corsair STGB. That left this kit, Monograms classic P-47D Thunderbolt from 1983. I first built this very kit in junior high about the time it came out in this boxing, so ‘83-‘84. I would build three more of these before I was 21. tt3FyaI.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-6838-thunderbolt-p-47d--159066

I found this kit by chance last November at the one local swap meet here in Chicago and grabbed it. A gentleman was selling his late fathers collection. I grabbed two kits this one and the Monogram P-51B for a total of $7. Both were bagged kits this one still in a shrink wrapped box. So for the obligatory sprue photos. Ek5e6kH.jpg

FZwtr1F.jpg

FAlh49f.jpg

rdKq46j.jpg

GztxA1g.jpg

DMNBDd6.jpg

Now the kit is not difficult as its only about 40 pieces total. Here are the Kit Markings, “The Turtle #10 509th Fs., 405th Fg, 9th USAAF based somewhere in France summer 1944. t6kGGMM.jpg

The other option are these two Jugs. These are also from the same 405th Fg. The 509th and 510 Fs.VU45DHR.jpg

I have a fourth and fifth option but would need custom decals printed for that plane, and it would be from the 12th A.F. 57th Fg. in Italy. If I can find someone to make them for me it would definitely move up to the front. The last one would be to cobble the markings to make a RAF Thunderbolt II from the CBI Theatre. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Great to see that your Phantom hasn't beaten you Dennis!

And what a fantastic choice, who doesn't love a Thunderbolt! I've never built the Monogram kit but it looks to be the same quality as their P-51B which I have built and as such should go together without too much fuss.

As for markings the Turtle wins for me every time, I've got an Aeromaster sheet with the same aircraft on it for a future build.

Really looking forward to seeing this one go together mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great choice 👍!

built one of these a wee while back and it was great fun 😀

I hope this one goes better for you than the Phantom. . 

All the best Greg 

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed. I haven't built many P-47s over the years but I did have the razorback version of this in a double pack with the Do-335.

John

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with a classic Monogram Dennis,memories time..........way back early seventies the modelling staple was Airfix and Revell even then

the larger kits were birthday and Christmas only,my friend was DC comic mad and although not my cup of tea I used to look in awe of the model kits

advertised of aircraft mostly I'd never seen or heard of I suppose Aurora,Renwall and Revell US in origin, it was maybe as late as the early eighties that

I came across Monogram 1/48 scale by way off a shop selling pre-owned kit's at sensible prices I remember it being the Grumman Avenger,favourite

has to be the Devastator though.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Can't go wrong with a classic Monogram Dennis

Exactly what I was thinking! Good luck with this one Dennis, I'm sure it'll be a different story. Shame about the Phantom, but there's a reason I've only made one Hasegawa kit in my entire life!

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

there's a reason I've only made one Hasegawa kit in my entire life!

Hasegawa to be fair make better kits of WW2 subjects (except the P-51D Mustang), shivers at the memories of that build. The Modern Jets like Harriers, Tomcats, and Hornets are nightmares. Ive had nothing but problems with them (displays nervous ticks). Though I’ve built two Hasegawa phantoms both the same scale and had no issues what so ever. The difference in my opinion is the mold for the RF removes a section of the lower nose. This is replaced of course with clear panels for the cameras. I think by doing this caused the molds to warp or shrink ? When i went to mount the cockpit it was wide by way to much. I would have had to remove a good chunk of detail on both sides to get it to fit. My RF-4B will get built, but i think I will do what my buddy did years ago to get his RF-4C. Im going to use the standard B/N kit and graft the appropriate camera nose and bits onto it. Maybe I’ll use a Hasegawa kit or an possibly an Academy.

• Like 3

Hello everyone... Looks like it will be “The Turtle no.10” as my build. A bit of quick history of the 405th Fg. from wikipedia. 

“The 509th helped prepare for Operation Overlord, the invasion of Normandy, by striking military airfields, and lines of communication, particularly bridges and railroad marshalling yards. On D-Day, it flew combat patrols in the vicinity of Brest, France, and in the following days flew armed reconnaissance missions over Normandy.[3]

Toward the end of June, the squadron moved to Picauville Airfield, France, and for the rest of the war concentrated on providing close air support for ground forces. It supported Operation Cobra, the breakout at Saint Lo in July with attacks on military vehicles and artillery positions. The squadron engaged and destroyed a German armored column near Avranches, France on 29 July 1944. After immobilizing leading and trailing elements of the 3-mile (4.8 km) long column, the rest of the tanks and trucks were systematically destroyed with multiple sorties.[4] Its operations from D-Day through September 1944 supporting the liberation of Belgium earned the squadron a citation in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army. The squadron received a Distinguished Unit Citation for action on 24 September 1944 when the 4th Armored Division experienced a counterattack by enemy forces and urgently needed air support. Elements of the 405th Group attacked the enemy armor despite an 800-foot ceiling that forced attacks to be made from low level in the face of intense flak.”

I should be able to start this up in a day or two. I found some info tonight which may alter the scheme a bit on this but not to bad. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

Evening everyone... If you’ve built any of the classic Monogram kits, then you know they don't have 400pcs. They build up fairly quickly and you can get many steps done in one sitting. I knocked out the first 5 steps today which brings us to closure of the two fuselage halves. gN1PeXN.jpg
the engine is completely painted and is just pressed in for photo’s. I still need to paint the interior of the cowling and supercharger intake. Does anyone have a straight answer on that BTW ? Over the years I've seen aluminum, ZCY, and Interior green on the inside of cowlings on Jugs. All in original B&W and color photo’s

lfOxket.jpg

I re-used the Phantom’s rudder pedals on this. 

5rKco18.jpg

PfTW5PN.jpg

SSj2IXE.jpg

EA7N5TL.jpg

Q8ZQT1o.jpg

Xf013rl.jpg

0isztqQ.jpg

Please feel free to ask any questions, post comments, and add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Built up the wings tonight and once they were set mocked up the whole aircraft. KoW6oT7.jpg
I also drilled out the IFF lights on the lower wing. pRlCHsx.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

Found this kool video of the 509th. 

https://youtu.be/K3gTi5F-sA4

https://youtu.be/bXNhiFPZtwU

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

Good morning everyone... Pulled an all nighter here to do some work. I mounted the wings and stabs today, and then tried a new technique for filling. I've read about this but haven't tried it until today. I took tamiya white filler and added a good amount of Lacquer thinner to it. After a few minutes it became a nice smooth paste, its supposed to be a poor-mans substitute for PPP. Surprisingly it worked quite nicely. VFdlQTW.jpg

MzKVKLk.jpg

sP0u9oY.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and add thoughts.  

Dennis

• Like 5

Looking like good progress, Dennis. 

Mine is on the home straight now that I have been gifted some missing parts most especially the transparencies for the canopy and screen. They are Academy parts but they fit well once those grooves in the top of the fuselage are built up. 

One thing Monogram omitted is an intake in the leading edge of the starboard wing that you may want to drill out. 

Mine was moulded in dark brown plastic and the instructions look older than your "fancy modern" version 😅

• Thanks 1

Evening everyone... Well shes ready for paint. gWyL0gx.jpg

yAc4CRv.jpg

Now as @rob Lyttle pointed out the leading edge of the right wing has an intake thats oval in shape. uCaRTEk.jpg

And Monogram did neglect to add this feature, so I did. U6NCFay.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Coming along nicely! I like the cockpit. I haven’t ever built a Monogram kit until I built the X-15 last year, when I realised I’ve been missing out! Looking forward to the rest of this.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone.... Busy weekend with family for celebrating of Mother's day. Which didn't leave a lot of time for modeling. I sprayed my two Mk.VIII Spitfires the respective green camouflage colors today. When i had sone left over RAF Dk.green i sprayed the seems down on this. ySQW8BV.jpg

lgPSXMC.jpg
Everything looks good so should get into paint in a few days. Sadly We are taking our last dog to the vet tomorrow. He's a 17 year old Chihuahua that has slowly faded after he lost his brother my 15 year old Pug in February. He doesn't seem to have the will to go on and refuses to eat. Please feel free to ask questions, post thoughts, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 4