Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Ahhhhhh

You know, it's evening, long day at work, haven't been out socially for 6mths and that little voice inside whispers in your ear..."its a bargain, nearly £100 cheaper than elsewhere, if you really don't like it you can always sell it on, go on, hit BUY....."

I've never even seriously considered 1/16 before...why....why!

spacer.png

spacer.png

When it arrives you think.......Gosh that's a big box!

Even Jasper is thinking WTF now, before turning in unimpressed!

Ashamed of my weakness 

Darryl 

Oh, My.........

Youre going to be in for a treat !! :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You know, it's evening, long day at work, haven't been out socially for 6mths and that little voice inside whispers in your ear..."its a bargain, nearly £100 cheaper than elsewhere, if you really don't like it you can always sell it on, go on, hit BUY....."

I've never even seriously considered 1/16 before...why....why!

OOOhhh your on a slippery slope now mate......16th gives you a level of freedom you just can't achieve with smaller scales...and it gets highly addictive and very painful on the wallet...you have been warned...your really gonna enjoy that bud, the last time i did anything in this scale was the Verlinden Panther and Tiger in 15th scale......when your so used to doing smaller scales it is quite breathtaking to see the physical size of one of these as they come together ....won't lie i'm jealous. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

OOOhhh your on a slippery slope now mate......16th gives you a level of freedom you just can't achieve with smaller scales...and it gets highly addictive and very painful on the wallet...you have been warned...your really gonna enjoy that bud, the last time i did anything in this scale was the Verlinden Panther and Tiger in 15th scale......when your so used to doing smaller scales it is quite breathtaking to see the physical size of one of these as they come together ....won't lie i'm jealous. 

You know he only got it, cuz he lost his glasses again ;)

You gotta see the bits to model :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

Oh, My.........

Youre going to be in for a treat !! :)

Yeah, Oh My indeed.....

5 hours ago, ivan-o said:

What have you done? 😂😂

I know.....I'm blaming the old man, he does this 1/16 stuff but they all look factory fresh so,  I thought..... 

Probably should have thought more before hitting buy....😉😅🤣

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Yeah I won't touch it till winter comes and I've more time but..... 

Can't hurt having a peak?

Its actually too big with all the boxs etc to work at from the bench, might have to work in stages, engine, transmission, turret etc, or commandeer the dining table....

it's a tough job but....

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

You know he only got it, cuz he lost his glasses again ;)

You gotta see the bits to model :D

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

:cwl::cwl::cwl: You read my mind 

Oi! less of the lip from you two whippersnappers!!

I don't need to come on here to get cheek......

• Like 3

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

last time i did anything in this scale was the Verlinden Panther and Tiger in 15th scale......

Verlinden did a 1/15 tiger etc...?

I'd love to see what you could do with one of these...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Verlinden did a 1/15 tiger etc...?

I'd love to see what you could do with one of these...

He did a whole range at one time ....you can't find them for love nor money now...all resin and photo etch...he also did a willys a kubelwagen and a panzer III

I did the Tiger and the Panther but that's when i had money...they were really expensive. 

31 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

He did a whole range at one time ....you can't find them for love nor money now...all resin and photo etch...he also did a willys a kubelwagen and a panzer III

I did the Tiger and the Panther but that's when i had money...they were really expensive. 

Never seen them bud, I'll wager they where quiet something!

Always fancied the Tamiya 1/16 Tiger with all the trimmings but at the thick end of a grand..... 

Remember as a kid the old man doing a 1/9? German motorcycle and sidecar combo poss rereleased by revell/Italeri? That was quite impressive. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Never seen them bud, I'll wager they where quiet something!

Always fancied the Tamiya 1/16 Tiger with all the trimmings but at the thick end of a grand..... 

Remember as a kid the old man doing a 1/9? German motorcycle and sidecar combo poss rereleased by revell/Italeri? That was quite impressive. 

Wasn’t that a Heller kit ?

Another small update;

Side skirts fitted after applying a touch of weathering to the road wheels and lower hull,  not that much can be seen. A touch of mud and a dusting of pastel dust, more to come towards completion. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The former commander busted down to the ranks has suffered further ignominy at the hands of a razor saw wielding butcher....

Gone from commander to driver in one swift and indelicate move!

spacer.png

spacer.png

No wonder he's turned green!

And the rest of the crew....

Bought these a little while ago and only just had a proper look....

Not a pretty sight unfortunately 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

O - dear....those heads aren't a pretty sight, wonder if Hornet do any better....?

Don't plan on using all four figures, save some for a future Chieftain.

Jerry cans are done, commanders cupola completed save the gpmg. Winky light needs sorting, simple canvas cover over the top might sort that..turret baskets need covers and then last but not least,  weathering 

In the words of the classics 

That's all folks! (For today at least)

Darryl 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ivan-o said:

That’s looking good now 👌

Talking of green that water can should be black, they are plastic!
That BAOR crew not worth getting then?

Ivan

Cheers Ivan, black you say....... they where black after I'd primed them!

Typical, take eye from ball and just assume!

The bodies look ok it's just the heads, very soft detail and large pouring stubs. I suspect these being "budget " Chinese copies the originals, whoever that might be, might be somewhat better. Or at least I'd hope...

Cheers 

Darryl 

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

And the rest of the crew....

Bought these a little while ago and only just had a proper look....

Not a pretty sight unfortunately 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

O - dear....those heads aren't a pretty sight, wonder if Hornet do any better....?

Don't plan on using all four figures, save some for a future Chieftain.

Jerry cans are done, commanders cupola completed save the gpmg. Winky light needs sorting, simple canvas cover over the top might sort that..turret baskets need covers and then last but not least,  weathering 

In the words of the classics 

That's all folks! (For today at least)

Darryl 

Those crew figures were originally done by AC Models and they are very good indeed, Andy has a few sets out and the quality is top notch so I suspect you picked up a copy mate. The heads look terrible and not up to the quality of an original set. I think Hornet might help with the crew in this case mate. I have his Land Rover WMIK set and they some of the best figures I have in resin tbh.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ac-models-acm35029-british-chieftain-crew-in-cold-weather-gear--1092179

The Chally is looking superb BTW fella :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

To be fair I have seen green ones but the vast majority of ours at least were black. 
There is a difference in price on the internet for those figures but they’re a bit early for the 80’s but change the heads and you will get away with it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Those crew figures were originally done by AC Models and they are very good indeed, Andy has a few sets out and the quality is top notch so I suspect you picked up a copy mate. The heads look terrible and not up to the quality of an original set. I think Hornet might help with the crew in this case mate. I have his Land Rover WMIK set and they some of the best figures I have in resin tbh.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ac-models-acm35029-british-chieftain-crew-in-cold-weather-gear--1092179

The Chally is looking superb BTW fella :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, yeah quite sure they are a copy, you get what you pay for, in this case a false economy....

Really wanting to get this finished now, so close...... except figures, obviously!

10 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

To be fair I have seen green ones but the vast majority of ours at least were black. 
There is a difference in price on the internet for those figures but they’re a bit early for the 80’s but change the heads and you will get away with it.

Black it'll be!

Your right they are bit early but suitable figures are not in abundance which is a real shame, if only Dragon, or similar, would do some....

Thanks again chaps

• Like 2

That's looking good Darryl. My interest in modern only extends as far as Chieftain, but I must say that that Challenger does look interesting. As far as the figures go, I'm sure that Hornet is your saviour.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Keep an eye out for these, they are first rate ;)

Thanks Dan , I'll do that, those Valkyrie ones do look the part!

16 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's looking good Darryl. My interest in modern only extends as far as Chieftain, but I must say that that Challenger does look interesting. As far as the figures go, I'm sure that Hornet is your saviour.

John.

Cheers John, I'd been going to do a Chieftain but a few had recently been done on the site so thought I'd do the Chally instead. 

The desert scheme doesn't do a lot for me but the traditional green or green and black is always a winner!

Will need to look up Hornet for more heads.....

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really liking the way your CR1 is coming together, the finish line is in sight!

Are you plannig a small scene to display it?

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'd like to do a base.....I can see how it could look.....

No promises.....

Tbh I'm really keen to get it finished it's been going long enough!

13 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking very nice !!....

Needs more mud..... :D

Calm down with your mud fetish! 

Not a big mud fan, a light smattering might be ok, we'll see....

Cheers fellas

Appreciated. 

• Like 2

On 13/09/2020 at 22:37, Jasper dog said:

No wonder he's turned green!

Don't worry about the commander covered in green paint lads he's armless :D

On 13/09/2020 at 22:37, Jasper dog said:

Almost definitely

18 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

The bodies look ok it's just the heads, very soft detail and large pouring stubs

I would say there molds are shot

The Chally is looking mint now bud great work all round :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Don't worry about the commander covered in green paint lads he's armless :D

Clearly been on the sauce as he's legless too!

I think the figures will be ok 🤞with new heads, that's what you get for buying cheap copies from China. Lesson learned. 

Cheers 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Tbh I'm really keen to get it finished it's been going long enough!

Don't be tempted to rush it now Darryl it would only end in tears!

As said before your CR1 is stunning looking forward to the next update now

Roger

• Thanks 1