Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1

17 hours ago, robw_uk said:

NIce work... the extra scratch built details just lift this up

7 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great work on the turret it has lifted this to the next level

Stay safe                Roger

Thanks chaps, kind of you to take the time to look in and comment.

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Take care Darryl and I hope that your wife doesn't develop the dreaded virus.

John.

Thanks John, very kind of you, unfortunately it's already here, most peculiar as she's not been out for 12wks.😷

Just keeping fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse.

Thanks again 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Keeping occupied, a little progress:

Started on the hull;  headlamp assembly done, had hoped to use the eduard headlamp surround, it's a little anaemic compared to the real thing but not as heavy as the Tamiya supplied one, so... Folded and glued the o/s frame not great but passable, However it's a slippery blighter and was difficult to keep hold of. The number of times it ended up on the floor until I managed to roll my chair over it.....:doh:

spacer.png

Gave up in disgust and reverted back to the Tamiya part.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Doesn't look much to show for a few hours work but side lights, headlamps and horn "wired up". Once painted I'll drop a lense into the aperture for the side lights. The front rubber mud flaps have been thinned on the edges to give a better scale representation of the real thing.

Might have said this before but its surprisingly enjoyable. Referring back to reference material, seeing what can be done to improve a good but elderly kit just with the aid of a fairly simple eduard etch set, plastic card, rod and wire.

Take care all 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 7

Sorry to hear your wife's not well, hopefully recovery is speedy!

Nice work on the lamp guards, would you have got a better result with brass wire and solder instead of the PE.?

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hamden said:

Sorry to hear your wife's not well, hopefully recovery is speedy!

Nice work on the lamp guards, would you have got a better result with brass wire and solder instead of the PE.?

Roger

Thanks Roger, appreciated.

Your probably right re' brass wire and solder, unfortunately not having either, often said I should have a go at soldering though, I've decided to stick with the kit supplied guards. The etch guard was a bit too thin and flat to represent real thing anyhow!

Thanks once more

Darryl 

12 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Nice work👍
on the anti slip I use enamel paint as the glue.

fine dust on the engine deck,50/50 mix fine and medium the rest.

HTH,

Ivan

Thanks Ivan, the finish on yours is looking spot on from here, will need to have a play. Think I've got a handle on what should and shouldn't be coated with it,  might need to get some of the medium though, hadn't realised the two areas are different. 

Do you know if the top of cupola is coated with it?

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Darryl 

I’d suggest that parts of cupola would of had anti slip it’s a key area that the crew use all the time. It can be sharp on the hands so areas that would come in contact with the crew when unbuttoned wouldn’t of had any. Top of the hatches and around the hatches would likely be the areas that it would be applied but any areas in arms reach probably wouldn’t of, if that makes sense.  

On our 43’s we had to add the anti slip as they never had any from the base workshops, a quick visit to the QM’s to grab some anti slip paint which was just paint with sand added and away you go.  Point to note, our wagons were painted regularly and anti slip used to disappear quickly under multiple paint layers giving the impression that they never had any. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I’d suggest that parts of cupola would of had anti slip it’s a key area that the crew use all the time. It can be sharp on the hands so areas that would come in contact with the crew when unbuttoned wouldn’t of had any. Top of the hatches and around the hatches would likely be the areas that it would be applied but any areas in arms reach probably wouldn’t of, if that makes sense.  

On our 43’s we had to add the anti slip as they never had any from the base workshops, a quick visit to the QM’s to grab some anti slip paint which was just paint with sand added and away you go.  Point to note, our wagons were painted regularly and anti slip used to disappear quickly under multiple paint layers giving the impression that they never had any. 

Thanks Dan, yep, that makes sense. 

Little bit off that stage that but always handy to keep in mind.

Thanks for the input.

Darryl 

11 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

Great progress I’m enjoying this build mate

Thanks, really appreciate any interest.

Won't be a quick job but this game isn't a race... 

Cheers

Darryl 

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Roger, appreciated.

Your probably right re' brass wire and solder, unfortunately not having either, often said I should have a go at soldering though, I've decided to stick with the kit supplied guards. The etch guard was a bit too thin and flat to represent real thing anyhow!

Thanks once more

Darryl 

Thanks Ivan, the finish on yours is looking spot on from here, will need to have a play. Think I've got a handle on what should and shouldn't be coated with it,  might need to get some of the medium though, hadn't realised the two areas are different. 

Do you know if the top of cupola is coated with it?

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

the two areas aren’t different! that is down to me, I didn’t think the fine looked ok so I mixed it up and I think it has come out better. I haven’t done the engine deck because it will be hidden by the turret.👍

Ivan

• Like 1

Quick update; Still working on hull, will have to put top and bottom together soon but need to finish back panel first, Jerry can holders, then box in the hull above the tracks. Why do they do this....?

Today's work. 

spacer.png

Etched grills on engine deck fitted along with fuel filler cap covers and handles.

spacer.png

Exhaust fitted, the louvres have had a scalpel blade run inside the edges to give a little more depth and the bolts heads on the sides added.

Drivers tool box fitted and fuel tank vent tube added. Didn't think the replacement etch catches added anything to the box so have left it as Tamiya intended.

spacer.png

Is there anything faster than a tiny piece of etch brass when it leaves the bench..... 

Corona Update;

The good news is the household Corona outbreak seams to have plateaued, 🤞 the Mrs is improving slowly.

A quick FYI, I've been fine no symptoms. Until working over the bench with an open bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin; crushing chest pains, close bottle, move away and within 30 min/hour fine again.

If you've any sort of related condition keep this in mind, I'd never come across this before but obviously if your breathing or airways etc are compromised it's rather "uncomfortable". 

Thanks for looking, hope to update again soon. 

Darryl 

• Like 6

'Morning Darryl. Glad to hear that your wife is improving. I know what you mean about the glue vapours. I knocked over a small bottle of MEK and experienced similar problems. I opened the window immediately to clear the smell, even though at the time it was about -5 degrees outside.

John.

BTW. Nice work on the deck, despite the flying etch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John, apparently this virus produces good days and bad..:undecided:

Small update, rear of hull being prepared before securing to the lower hull.

spacer.png

Didn't want to use the fuel barrels so decided to back date slightly and go for the Jerry can/water can holders.

Funny how many "bits" you find you've missed, like the reinforcing sections behind the headlamp units!:doh:, when you keep looking back at reference books or previous builds, dam his superb Challenger build over 24pages!

Until next time...

Atb

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 4

For once got spend a few hours uninterrupted so crack on;

Rear plate attached to lower hull and void above tracks filled with plastic card.

spacer.png

Cut out drivers position in case I decide to put someone in there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Upper and lower hull joined, knew I shouldn't have put the supports on for the bazooka plates earlier, they'll be lucky if they survive my ham-fistedness.

spacer.png

Back end, perhaps not the neatest work ever but once painted and loaded up will look ok... Think I'll need a securing plate to go over the top of the holders and a first aid box / storage box mounted on one. Along with gun clamp obvs!

spacer.png

Etched splash rail and associated brackets mounted, I've been using Ultra Glue by Ammo Mig to attach the etch etc and it does a good job. But, it can be a bit thick and gloopy particularly for small items, apparently it can be thinned, haven't tried but worth a pop.

spacer.png

Should have put a reinforcing plate behind the headlamp units.....oops, never mind!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Starting to look the part now. 

Still lots to do, fuel tank vents, mirror stalks, tie downs, hatches, cupola etc etc, before contemplating paint. Will probably need to do the antislip before attaching the smaller details.

If I did a black and green one would the black camo extended behind the bazooka plates onto the lower hull?

Thanks for looking

Until next time

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 6

Hi Darryl,

With the black and green scheme I’d doubt that it extended under the sponsons 

as it’s a right pain to get in to these areas to apply the paint. From my own experience working on 43’s they arrived from base workshops with just green paint applied to the running gear areas. The road wheels would be painted to match the hull camouflage as expected. The area in question is in natural shadow anyway so no real point in painting it.  Also with the area just painted green it’s much easier to see any leaks of oil or grease from the suspension units. 

The build is looking great btw :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Hi Darryl,

With the black and green scheme I’d doubt that it extended under the sponsons 

as it’s a right pain to get in to these areas to apply the paint. From my own experience working on 43’s they arrived from base workshops with just green paint applied to the running gear areas. The road wheels would be painted to match the hull camouflage as expected. The area in question is in natural shadow anyway so no real point in painting it.  Also with the area just painted green it’s much easier to see any leaks of oil or grease from the suspension units. 

The build is looking great btw :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, makes sense to me and makes painting easier!

Cheers for the thumbs up! 

Thanks 

Darryl 

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work on he Chally Darryl. I like the jerry can holders at the back.

John.

Thanks John, appreciate the feedback.  

They might be a bit rough and ready but they do the job.

Should be blaming the likes of Dan and yourself for this, it would have been finished ages ago if I hadn't been "inspired " to hack a perfectly adequate kit about..... must be :mental:

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

Couple of little additions; 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tool brackets added, just realised I've slipped up. The splash rail should be further back and mounted on the front of the lifting brackets. This Ammo glue is really surprisingly strong, I fear trying to remove it will distort it beyond use... hey-ho, down to experience. 

Not quite in shot but the extinguisher brackets have been created and mounted too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

More tool brackets and some breathers added. 

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Texans said:

This is looking awesome   Coming on really well  rear turret bin is amazing . 

Thanks, not sure about amazing but should be ok once painted. 

First time I've "gone to town" on one and rather enjoyed the experience. A Tamiya kit is always a good starting point I reckon as it fits together pretty well and provides a good canvas to work with.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Darryl,

Thats coming along very nicely.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, appreciated. 

13 hours ago, flashlight said:

Hi Darryl, great work so far! Your detailing skills are amazing, all these tiny etched parts would only stick to my fingers or jump into the void of my room's floor!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick, I've had my share end up somewhere unintended As mentioned earlier, the smaller the part the faster it travels off the bench, where they finish I've no idea. Even the larger bits seam to prefer the floor over my fingers or the bench.

Cheers chaps

Darryl 

• Like 1