Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1

12 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Nothing wrong at all with that back bin :thumbsup:

lovely bit of scratch building. 

Dan 

11 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,

a very nice and complete piece of scratch...looks as original stuff.

Cheers and TC

Francis 👍

7 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Good for you on the rear bin👍The beauty is if you don’t like it do another one till you do.😀

Ivan

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. (Even if i think Ivan is suggesting I should remake it! :whistle:)

Cheers

Darryl 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. (Even if i think Ivan is suggesting I should remake it! :whistle:)

Cheers

Darryl 

Not at all mate if you are happy ok👍Just saying in every scratch build you have the option to redo it😀

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:16 AM, Jasper dog said:

The rear storage box couldn't be more wrong if it tried. Thought about replacing the lid but it's still the wrong shape and the hinges are in entirely the wrong place.

The actual box is more "square" then Tamiya provides and the hinges are on the wrong side, should be hinged at the back, what Tamiya looked at I've no idea!

Darryl, first of all - lovely work, I'm enjoying your build!

Secondly, Tamiya looked at one of the first +/- 60 production Challengers and based their kit turret bin on it.... and they got it absolutely 100% correct - entirely accurate! Those early back bins were, or course, a right pain in the bottom to use - you couldn't open them from the turret top because they opened towards you. That's why they were redesigned to open the other way. And for some reason made more square too!

• Thanks 1

On 20/05/2020 at 07:05, robw_uk said:

nice build and nice rear bin - it wont end up in THE bin I am sure

On 20/05/2020 at 07:56, Bullbasket said:

'Morning Darryl. As everyone else has said, the bin looks great. Nice work.

John.

On 20/05/2020 at 16:55, ivan-o said:

Not at all mate if you are happy ok👍Just saying in every scratch build you have the option to redo it😀

Thanks all, guess I'll stick with it, even after the cautious green light from Ivan!

I'm rarely entirely happy with anything I've done!!! :shrug:

:winkgrin:

16 hours ago, Cheesey153 said:

Darryl, first of all - lovely work, I'm enjoying your build!

Secondly, Tamiya looked at one of the first +/- 60 production Challengers and based their kit turret bin on it.... and they got it absolutely 100% correct - entirely accurate! Those early back bins were, or course, a right pain in the bottom to use - you couldn't open them from the turret top because they opened towards you. That's why they were redesigned to open the other way. And for some reason made more square too!

Ahhhh, that might explain where Tamiya got there idea from. Learn something new every day.

Thanks, might be a slow one this, had thought a quick oob build initially....

Cheers

Darryl 

Don’t take any notice of me😀you haven’t seen my go at the bin yet! I must admit to going a different way to you by actually trying to modify  the Tamiya bin.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ivan-o said:

Don’t take any notice of me😀you haven’t seen my go at the bin yet! I must admit to going a different way to you by actually trying to modify  the Tamiya bin.

Don't worry just havin a laugh!

Rather you than me, I couldn't see a reasonable way of doing it... Found a pic of an early development Chally with the original / Tamiya bin in the Haynes manual.

Cheers

• Like 1

More work on rear bin, who'd have thought you could spend so much time on one bin!

spacer.png

Trying to make grilled cover for the cut out on the bin lid. Even with the thinnest plasti-card and the diamond mesh beneath it's to thick, imo. Could just put the diamond mesh beneath the bin lid but.....

As for the Jerry can holder, tamiya part fixed to the new bin with extra supports added underneath and an angled piece in centre.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

New handles added to turret hatches.

So mutch for a quick build....🧐

Can't say I'm not actually enjoying it though....👍

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

More work on rear bin, who'd have thought you could spend so much time on one bin!

Oh, believe me Darryl, I would! I'm about to scratch build one for my Tiran. I'll probably have a couple of birthdays before that's finished!

Anyway, back to your build. You've got some great detail there, and the bin looks spot on.

John.

• Thanks 1

question, what tools do you guys use to make curves, mark, cut and to measure? Am getting a template ruler to hope measuring angles get better but curves still elude me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Oh, believe me Darryl, I would! I'm about to scratch build one for my Tiran. I'll probably have a couple of birthdays before that's finished!

Anyway, back to your build. You've got some great detail there, and the bin looks spot on.

John.

Thanks John, it's a bit crude in parts but for a first attempt and under a coat of paint it'll be fine......(ish) :whistle:

12 hours ago, robw_uk said:

question, what tools do you guys use to make curves, mark, cut and to measure? Am getting a template ruler to hope measuring angles get better but curves still elude me

Hi Rob, personally; it's a pencil and ruler job, sometimes I'll utilise the existing parts as guide or template, where practical, another very handy piece of kit is a pair of dividers. Apparently a compass cutter is useful for circles and curves.

If all else fails the good old fashioned Mk.1 eyeball is indispensable.

Cutting is a just a sharp scalpel and/or a pair of scissors.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Snails pace modelling continues... felt I should post something just to prove it hasn't been forgotten!

Still working on the turret, from a variety of sources, previous builds, books etc we have:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rear bin added, still needs mesh cover. Reinforcing strips to the Ferret bin, how many Ferrets must have been knocking about to donate the bins to a fair number of the Chally fleet?

More reinforcing done to the turret front, along with a sheet copper plate catch plate on the togs barbette. 

spacer.png

I'm drilling the locating holes for the tie downs as intended to replace with wire, once the bulk of the handling has been done. 0.3mm if interested. 

spacer.png

These are so cheap and ideal for this sort of work 0.1mm - 1.0mm. (£5.60 ish)

spacer.png

Jerry can rack mountings repositioned, most appear to have the rack horizontal as opposed to the early ones as depicted in the kit which are angled down at the rear.

That's all for now, not much to show for nearly two weeks, should be ashamed..

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 8

Aye up Darryl.

This is shaping up very nicely. Really like the scratch work and the stowage box on the turret. You going for the desert or Nato scheme? 

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

NATO, green or green and black, just as I used to remember them from Lulworth. (Keep in mind it was 35yrs ago, memory isn't what it was!).

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1

Great scratch work Darryl. Where did you get those drill bits? They are just what I want as they have the thick shanks. My 0.3mm won't grip in the three different drills that I have because the shank is too thin.

John. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Great scratch work Darryl. Where did you get those drill bits? They are just what I want as they have the thick shanks. My 0.3mm won't grip in the three different drills that I have because the shank is too thin.

John. 

Hi John drill bits, as ever, Ebay  item number 182126332205 the shanks are quite broad however and I haven't needed to mount them in a chuck as they will work just in the finger tips. 

1 hour ago, ivan-o said:

Coming along rather well 👍

54 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice work on the turret coming together nicely

Stay safe         Roger

9 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,

I see that you are improving the kit a lot, too much for me, it will definitely be worth it, good job.
Cheers and TC
Francis.

Thanks for looking in and the kind comments, much appreciated. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Turret done for now, until I add the non-slip texture. Going to try Ivan's suggestion of fine pummice powder mixed with something,  haven't decided what yet, dilute pva, thinned clear or just thinned primer....?? Will have to experiment. 

Would the commanders cupola be coated with it too?

spacer.png

And moving onto the back panel.

I've removed the mud flaps and replaced with those provided by eduard,  gun clamp assembled, not in pic.

spacer.png

Btw, lesson learned, be careful what you might wish for...

"Some time off to get some bench time in and other jobs done might be handy...."

We're in 14 days lockdown, with you know what. Mrs M has all the symptoms but returned a negative test result, apparently the doc said it's not uncommon to get a false result. 

Take care out there, it's not as safe as you'd imagine. 

Darryl 

• Like 4