Antonov An-12BK Cub Roden 1/72

Hi, here's the latest build using the opportunity afforded by furlough(!) Not an easy kit to put together (but I am just an assembler rather than a proper modeller!) with plenty of superglue and filler used. Decals from Authentic decals which were ok but not as good as other aftermarket decals I've used. Hope it's of interest (yes she's a tail sitter btw) oh and the Krystal Klear is still curing in some of the pics

49846834992_518dfecebb_c.jpg20200502_173917 by bryn robinson, on Flickr

49846834867_83fca0515b_c.jpg20200502_173902 by bryn robinson, on Flickr

49846834792_699cbc81aa_c.jpg20200502_173852 by bryn robinson, on Flickr

49846526721_da0cbc7815_c.jpg20200502_173720 by bryn robinson, on Flickr

49846829122_f59f4596ce_c.jpg20200502_173705 by bryn robinson, on Flickr

49846526141_7aab69c868_c.jpg20200502_173627 by bryn robinson, on Flickr

49846835337_e6f813e7e0_c.jpg20200502_173947 by bryn robinson, on Flickr

• Like 50

That's very well finished for a big, dodgy fitting kit. I think you just graduated from assembler to proper modeller 😉

Really like the sharkmouth! 

Alan 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shashman said:

I love the Cub!

Great job with the paint job and weathering.

How much did the kit set you back?

Thanks. I think I paid £26 for it at a model show (remember those?!) a couple of years ago

• Like 1

It looks fabulous,....... what a lovely model!

We often hear these droning overhead on their way between Germany and Liverpool,...... they are extremely loud and like nothing else in the sky these days! Also seen them around the world from time to time,...... truly a Soviet Hercules and with even more charachter,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Wonderful! A great model of a great plane :). I had one of these, decided against building it, and sold it. I wish I hadn't now! 

Martin

Your build definitely qualifies you as a modeler, not an assembler. Thanks for the information regarding the build difficulty. 

Very impressive!  I gave up on mine and gave it away to someone else, so you've really done justice to this plane.  Particularly troublesome is the four-part fuselage, and you've mastered it!

Hahaha very nice model! By the way, this term of disparagement "assembler" is a new one on me, in my recentrreturn to the hobby. Is it a new thing to be scornful of people buying kits and making them without spending several times as much as the kit on decals, resin and photoetch?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aces High said:

Hahaha very nice model! By the way, this term of disparagement "assembler" is a new one on me, in my recentrreturn to the hobby. Is it a new thing to be scornful of people buying kits and making them without spending several times as much as the kit on decals, resin and photoetch?

It's just a tongue in cheek comment! Perhaps I should say that I don't consider myself an 'advanced' modeller

thanks

I'd say you're well & truly an advanced modeller, judging by that build!

You tamed that Roden kit extremely well.

You should be proud.  🙂

Great stuff! 👍👍

• Like 1

Nice result! 

The An-12 recalls my memories from 1967 or 68, when for some weeks Soviet An-12s were practicing above Krakow having base at Balice airport. 10 km west of city. They were very noisy and the red stars were making people worry... And then in August 1968 there was a night, when all the time the noise of massive amount of turboprops was heard - the Warsaw Pack troops were invading Czechoslovakia... (we have learnt about that in next morning)...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 8:35 AM, Graeme H said:

Don't know much about AN12's, but that is a really good job to my eye

Just a Soviet (not Russian, as it was born and manufactured in Ukraine) C-130. More than 1200 were built plus some 100 of the An-10 passenger liner with conical fuselage tail, triple fins and no tailgunner. Several hundred were also licence built in China and modified variants of those are still being offered as Shaanxi Y-9.

On 5/4/2020 at 12:45 PM, tonyot said:

We often hear these droning overhead on their way between Germany and Liverpool,...... they are extremely loud and like nothing else in the sky these days!

IMHO the AI-20 turboprops aren't noisier than Vanguard RR Tynes or C-130 Allisons. If you call them "extremely loud" means that you've never heard NK-12s of Tu-95/114/142 or An-22.

And I have this opportunity regularly - last time the An-22 was flying over my home on Tuesday 5th May. Those infrasounds are really like nothing else in the sky...

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1