Mercedes 4,5 L 1914 French GP

With some gentle persuasion the body joined the frame. This looks far more dramatic than it was, all was under control.

M80.jpg

The exhaust was actually fitted to the body first.

M81.jpg

Then those fuel lines were installed. It was fiddly but the preparation done before paid off. All equipment on top of the tank is also in place.

M82.jpg

M83.jpg

• Like 8

I've just read this thread from the beginning; you even inspired me to head to my book shelf where a copy of The Grand Prix by LJK Setright yielded a few photos of the 1914 GP Mercedes.  Your build certainly seems to do justice to the level of research and attention to detail that you have put in.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

With some gentle persuasion the body joined the frame. This looks far more dramatic than it was, all was under control.

You will have to tell that to the APK, Association for Protection of Kits, who has you under investigation for kit assembly cruelty.

Seriously, excellent job, your builds have always such a visual appeal.

Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Very cool stuff. Great detail on this one. 

Most things are so visible and external, so it's just sort of happening by itself. These old cars are quite rewarding in that respect.

5 hours ago, Mr Mansfield said:

I’ve been fixated all the way through this build. It looks like you’re close to the finish line now. Love the suspension wit( the rope coverings 

Thanks. Yes, it's not that much left to do, but every part takes time now. Also I have to get that cutter and have the mask done, so there will be some waiting along with the Auto Union. I'm glad I did the spring wraps, they really ad to the appeal.

5 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

She's coming along very nicely, Jorgen. Great work.

As others have said, those seats do look reeeally comfortable.

Thanks a lot. I think the colour (of which I'm not sure) may add to the comfortable look. Then again, maybe a little comfort is motivated during seven hours of hard racing...

4 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I've just read this thread from the beginning; you even inspired me to head to my book shelf where a copy of The Grand Prix by LJK Setright yielded a few photos of the 1914 GP Mercedes.  Your build certainly seems to do justice to the level of research and attention to detail that you have put in.

Thank you very much, I'm glad to hear that.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

You will have to tell that to the APK, Association for Protection of Kits, who has you under investigation for kit assembly cruelty.

Seriously, excellent job, your builds have always such a visual appeal.

Ha, they will never catch me! 😎 Or, when I'm least expecting it... 😲

Thanks a lot.

The spare wheels are loaded and secured. They will not fall out accidentally now.

M84.jpg

And we have a steering wheel with controls installed. Things are getting a bit fiddly now; for every part I'm adding the thing is getting more and more awkward to handle, and I have more things to add, and some washing and possibly some weathering of the chassis to do...

M85.jpg

I needed to add the brake wires. I took three very thin metal threads and spun them tightly, using the pin wise. That also makes the resulting wire stiffer and straight.

M86.jpg

I made a little hook in the end to connect to the arms, then measured and cut to length. I have already added two small pips at rear of the brakes to hook the wires up to. Not operationally perfectly correct, but they do the job and not much will be seen.

M87.jpg

And here the wires are put in place.

M88.jpg

M89.jpg

After some studying of the stone chip guards on the cars I decided to improve it a little. First I removed a strut on the outside of the photo etch, that in reality is a spring. Then I drilled a small hole for a wire, then put the main part in place, first with a small drop of Kristal Klear on each leg, and when that dried it was reinforced with tiny amounts of CA.

M90.jpg

I wound a small spring as I had nothing small enough available.

M91.jpg

The spring is added, and a thin wire, spun from two threads, is added in a loop appropriate for the resting position. Also a small stop is added to the guard itself. The guard is now pulled towards the bonnet, then when our driver comes up against a slower car he quickly pulls the lever down and the guard springs round and is held upright, after passing the opposition he just flicks the guard back and has free sight again. Ingenious.

M92.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Your work leaves me speechless.

Not sure if this may help, but I have used acupuncture needles for "springs" and Pitots (the straight section is firm and springy), and the jewelry threaders for when twisted wire is required.

Thanks, you are most kind. But subjects where you just dive into the history helps so much.

Interesting products, I was not aware of those. Will be on the shopping list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dancona said:

This is looking magnificent, I can see that it has taken a lot of work but the end result is going to look superb, cant wait to see it with the wheels on !

Thanks a lot. Fitting the wheels is not far away now, but I should have ordered that masking cutter earlier...

A bit more work and dirt done, in between some "real" work in my office...

M96.jpg

M97.jpg

M98.jpg

• Like 7

More #28 complexities. Yesterday the new cutter arrived, a Silhouette Cameo 4, and I found some time this afternoon to set it up.

M102.jpg

After same faffing it seemed ready to run, and I could import the dxf-file created in AutoCAD to the cutter software. I loaded a piece of ordinary copy paper to make a test. The cutting knife automatically adjusts to the material you specify in the software, there is a huge amount to choose from and you can add your own. I suspected there would be some trial and error here...

M103.jpg

The first attempt seemed to indicate some lesser setting needed, so I tried another, which was better but not good enough. Apparently this would have to be adjusted again according to my masking material, so I could just as well load that and run it for real.

M104.jpg

I planned to use these sheets from Tamiya; #87129. Of course that material is not represented in the software settings...

M105.jpg

Never mind, I loaded the masking sheet with the previous paper setting and started the process.

M106.jpg

It looked pretty good, but a bit hard to see exactly.

M107.jpg

I lifted out the two figures and the result looked very nice and sharp.

M108.jpg

So far so good. The two masking sections were lifted and applied to the mesh and the centre pieces placed. Some extra pieces where applied where needed.

M109.jpg

Thin black paint was airbrushed at low pressure straight ahead and in shallow angles. After the masking was carefully peeled off I had this.

M110.jpg

It was finished off with a very thin mist of brown dirt. I'm very happy with the result. It will need to be left alone drying for a while now, before I try to install it.

M111.jpg

• Like 10

On 27/05/2020 at 18:58, Schwarz-Brot said:

My Lady lusts after a cameo, too. Now I don't have any excuses left to not get her one 😄

Then you have no choice anymore 😎

On 27/05/2020 at 19:45, limeypilot said:

I ordered a Curio last week, I'm looking forward to playing with it!

A Curio might be a better choice as, if I understand it right, it can take thicker materials. I will try 0,25 mm styrene for some details for my Thrust2 project and see if the Cameo will handle it. I might try 0,10 first, will look a little more into it.

Tonight I picked up some courage and installed the dried radiator protection.

M112.jpg

M113.jpg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1