++++ Seafire MkIII Finished ++++

Masking tape off, and there was a fair amount of it. A little bit of touching up required but nothing drastic. Next job will be to get the black stripes on. Still wondering if I could use transfers but the fuselage has quite complex curves so it may be better to mask and paint, which will be time consuming. Have work tomorrow so will have to wait until later in the week. 

resized_7274c91f-d022-45c6-aaa3-0d96a694

• Like 1

The D-Day stripes masked off and a first coat added. They should be Night but I couldn't find any at all in amongst the myriad of paint pots in the stash. I know I have at least one as I have some British heavies in the stash. So I've used Revell Gloss Black which is a good colour, goes on well, although it is very black and lacks the blue tinge of Night. 

resized_506a98bc-ca4e-41bd-ade5-145c683e

• Like 4

There needs to be another coat on the wing stripes but the masking is removed from the fuselage and it looks OK. 

resized_c4c18b4e-a721-4cb2-b534-c8abf0ec

And now the wings unmasked. 

resized_02af015c-e186-443d-bf07-82014a9d

resized_c8cabf4a-caf9-4416-863c-44a14e35

And I must I must admit I'm very pleased with that. There are a couple of tiny parts need touched up but otherwise pretty good. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 825 said:

There needs to be another coat on the wing stripes but the masking is removed from the fuselage and it looks OK. 

And now the wings unmasked. 

resized_c8cabf4a-caf9-4416-863c-44a14e35

And I must I must admit I'm very pleased with that. There are a couple of tiny parts need touched up but otherwise pretty good. 

You should be they look good on her. 

• Like 1

Main transfers on. I was a bit worried as the wing roundels go over quite prominent protuberances. But with some Microsol and set they went on fine. I thought I'd leave it here and come back tomorrow to let them set. 

resized_7a6378ac-25d9-4dac-9478-3a04caa4

• Like 4

All the transfers apart from the Squadron codes. They're a bit close to the cockpit so I'll wait until it's fixed on in case any remedial work is needed. All the others are on, including some of the stencils. There's a load which would be under the D Day stripes. So they were ignored. The wheels and prop are on and the undercarriage doors have been masked and some paint on. I'm not happy with the port upper roundel and I'll probably replace it. 

resized_a1fde977-b14b-4838-a3f9-05a05da0

resized_8ee3065b-f975-415a-9825-ee46c174

I'm awaiting some masks for my Seafires from Mr H. All three are now pretty much finished apart from the canopies so there will be a short delay. 

• Like 7

Thanks @Cookenbacher it's coming along well and I'm pleased with the invasion stripes. 

Ive sanded off/down the messed up roundel then polished it. A coat of Klear has been put on to level everything out and I'll check once dry whether another is needed before popping on a new roundel. 

resized_b6e6b296-fc66-49ca-9813-c321db24

• Like 1

Replacement roundel on and looking good so far. Has copious amounts of decal softener on so will leave to hopefully, dry off and settle down. The canopy has also been masked. The mask for the AZ Model Mks I-V didn't quite fit but it did save a fair amount of time even though I had to add some slips of Tamiya tape. 

resized_d97686cd-b821-4ac5-adfc-29dde94d

• Like 5

The gunsight is added. 

resized_5a064a96-e8d2-467a-a322-26f4a1af

Unfortunately when the canopy was to be put on it didn't fit as the gunsight got in the way. So the gunsight had to come off and be relocated. This time the canopy fitted. 

resized_ce6ff0d8-83a0-420d-b37d-40de4054

• Like 7

Canopy unmasked and aerial mast reattached. So this is finished and will be gallery bound soon. 

resized_6068b914-d405-4093-ac55-3be92931

• Like 4

Sorry about the interloper. I erroneously put it in the wrong thread, then thought I'd removed it. 

Anyways the Mk III is marchinG on. The final transfers are now on and it's awaiting a couple of coats of matt varnish. Then unmask the canopy and add a couple of little bits then it will be done. 

resized_98c17be4-312f-49cc-a304-c6918d5c

• Like 3

Canopy mask off and several coats of matt varnish. Just a few sticky out bits to add and it's done. 

resized_ba0aab21-8dad-40ae-b406-65339f69

• Like 4

On 6/18/2020 at 9:44 AM, stevehnz said:

I really like this (these :) ), there is something about D-Day stripes & Spitfires, (& most other aircraft in that era IMHO, ) & your stripes only serve to confirm that to my eye. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I was a bit apprehensive about doing the stripes but they were not quite as challenging as I thought, although a little time consuming. However, they've turned out well and they are certainly striking. 

Anyway the final few bits have been attached and painted so this nice build of this fine looking aircraft is finished and I'll be doing a gallery session soon.

resized_0c4a54e4-987a-4fd9-a182-b1a1d64b

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Finished and will be in the gallery in a few minutes. 

resized_fb703837-d7df-42fe-83b9-8b70a648