Conversion of Academy's 1/72 North American OV-10D to YOV-10D

This is my conversion of Academy's 1/72 North American OV-10D to the earlier YOV-10D Night Observation Gunship System (NOGS). 2 OV-10A's, 152660 and 155395 (note there is one of many typos in the Squadron Gunships book with lists 155660 in one place and 152660 in others). These had a lengthened nose with an FLIR turret and the sponsons removed and an M-197 20mm Gatling gun turret added. There is a MPC kit purporting to be of the YOV-10D but it is inaccurate as far as the M-197 and FLIR turrets and is pretty crude so I set it aside and used the Academy kit instead. I did use the  M-197 mount from the MPC kit. To start I have to say that the Academy kit was a pleasure to to build with mostly good fit and finish. Removing the sponsons was fairly easy. I fabricated the m-197 turret from some 9mm brass tube and Master Models' brass 3 barrel M-197 set. The Academy FLIR turret is the later Texas Instruments one so I made the earlier one using the tail end of a multiple rocket launcher. Also note that the Academy kit uses the later type engine exhaust but includes the correct early type too. Other then all that it is pretty much OOB 😀 except for some Eduard seatbelts. I was going to use the MPC decals which were for 152660 but the Academy kit came with decals for 155395 which they say was used in Desert Storm. The only issue was that the type decal said OV-1D instead of YOV-10D but, the MPC decals had the same error so I decided to ignore it. The camelflage was roughly the same 3 color gray scheme used on the AP-2H.

So here it is:

vKQomZOX_o.jpg

Y3rHPwYQ_o.jpg

ggx6IBh6_o.jpg

gOvGI0vQ_o.jpg

KgThaOP1_o.jpg

hZWvchkM_o.jpg

Next up is the Fantastic Plastic (Anigrand) P4M. This will be the start of my blue period since the next 4 kits (P4M, AF-2S, TBM-3S and P2V-5) will all be painted Dark Sea Blue.

Enjoy

• Like 22

• 3 weeks later...

I should have pointed out that Wolfpak made a correct decal sheet (72-020 Casey's Buc's and FAC's) for the Yov-10D but it is out of production and impossible to find. If anyone has an extra please let me know since it has the correct YOV-10D id decal

4 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

How's the kit build up on its own?

With only one exception the Academy kit is excellent. That one exception are the sponsons. They are molded as a single part that fits across and into the bottom of the fuselage and will require a bit of filling. Installing it before the wing will make life easier.  Everything else had excellent fit. The cockpit is adequate with decal instruments but if you can find an Eduard interior that would be an improvement. The clear parts are  clear and distortion free and consists of a wind screen 2 side panels and a top piece that all fit together very well. I would recommend it.

Thanks

That is a very interesting conversion to a very special version of the bird. Always nice to see something non-standard!

45 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

How's the kit build up on its own?

Yeah, I built this kit too and agree to hsr that sponson is the only true fit issue. Otherwise it's good. Canopy does seem complex but an advice from this site to start with the windscreen and top side and then add left and right sides worked very much ok. 

Also be mindful that quite a lot of details is missing. E.g. none panels are shown on the sponson. Very few details are there in the undercarriage bays. Main undercarriage legs are simplistic. Even rear cabin cargo door is not engraved!

For rivet counters there is some frustration too - tail booms are shorter maybe couple mm, wing span outside of nacelles is significantly shorter than real thing (about 3 mm each side).

Eduard PE or CMK resin is a good idea for the greenhouse cockpit as everything is very well visible. 

Still it is a Bronco so whatever inaccuracies are there - it will look like a Bronco on the shelf!

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Thanks 1

That is a brilliant conversion and a superb result buddy.  Looks fantastic.  You have done a fine job on that massive canopy - I have one half built on my shelf right now.

• Thanks 1

That's a really nice build. I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of what the real bird could deliver!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

I have one half built on my shelf right now.

You need to finish it 😀

4 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of what the real bird could deliver!

It's just a pitty the marines couldn't afford to keep the M197 turret.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

You have done a fine job on that massive canopy

One of my few canopy successes

5 minutes ago, hsr said:

One of my few canopy successes

Was it a mask or good old fashioned 100 pieces of Tamiya tape....!!! 😂

1 minute ago, Booty003 said:

Was it a mask or good old fashioned 100 pieces of Tamiya tape....!!! 😂

Tamiya mask and a new sharp #11 blade 🔪

1 hour ago, hsr said:

Tamiya mask and a new sharp #11 blade 🔪

Yeah. Thanks God it was more or less straight pieces of tamiya tape for me. But the masking job was substantial given I mostly build jet fighters with only 2-3 areas to mask :)

Oh yes - those rounds on the bottom edge added some fun until I found the right diameter on my cutting template. 

Edited by Dennis_C

Very nice.  Great work on what is a complex (and very attractive) paint scheme. I've always found the Bronco rather appealing. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Great work on what is a complex (and very attractive) paint scheme.

The paint scheme is complex but what makes it harder is that you are working on a small area. It is the same pattern as on the AP-2H but that is so much bigger it makes it easier to do. Counter intuitive as that may sound.

Thanks 

• Like 1