Saab J29 F - Luftstreitkräfte

Hi there,

This is the 1/48 scale Pilot Replicas kit. A real pleasure to build!

Among the modifications I made:

- Seamless resin intake and pilot from the same manufacturer

- Homemade seat harnesses, ladder and pitot tubes,

- Replaced the exhaust with a Bubble Tea straw because the original one is too thick,

Details in the cockpit and in the landing gear bays are good enough but there is room for improvement. The one thing that bugged me are the rivets on the fuselage: they get distorted and fade away with the curve of the fuselage. Also, part 59 was missing or at least I did not find it. This part depicts the bumper on the bottom of the fuselage and is very easy to scratch build with a bit of styrene, so no big deal. But except for these, there is nothing much to complain about.

I liked the luxurious and clear instructions, the excellent Cartograf decals and the PE frets with a sticky transparent film that prevents the parts to spring away when cutting them. The kit is well designed and everything fits.

It was the first time for me painting with Alclad, and like everyone I was bit concerned about peeling off the paint during masking, but with a good layer of black primer and polishing, the paint is rock solid!

The orange dayglo comes from Faskcolor, and Tamiya paint was used for the Austrian roundels (yes, the Luftstreitkräfte is the Austrian AF, but please don't ask me to pronounce that 🙂 ) ,

Hope you like it.

Antoine

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 60

Great build! I like the weathering and the engine exhaust accumulation under the tail is perfect! Thanks too for the review of the kit. The Tunnan, for all of its barrel shape, is one of my favorites. I gather the pilot and ladder are separate purchases, or did they come with the kit?

• Thanks 1

Very convincing 'F' – the NMF is just superb!

Try: "Louft-shtrajt-kraefte", ten times in quick succession 😉

A piece of curio info: it was the designer of the 'Flying Barrel', Lars Brising, who coined the nickname 'Tunnan' (Barrel).

Beautiful modelling!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Great build! I like the weathering and the engine exhaust accumulation under the tail is perfect! Thanks too for the review of the kit. The Tunnan, for all of its barrel shape, is one of my favorites. I gather the pilot and ladder are separate purchases, or did they come with the kit?

Thank you !

The pilot is from Pilot rpelicas as well but comes separately. The ladder was made from scratch from pictures. You find PE ladders but they looked to flat to me :)

3 hours ago, Harold55 said:

Excellent job!  Love the finish.  I have switched to Alclad but still working to get the finish better.  I will set yours as a goal to strive for.

Waoo, thank you !!

It's not too complicated to get that finish, just a lot of rubbing before, during and after 🙂 ; and more importantly the Gloss black Primer is the key.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Looks like the reall thing!

Great Alclad work !

If you have mastered Luftstreitkräfte, add "Österreichische" in front ;)

Thank you !

Challenge of the day: Repeat 10 timesÖsterreichische Luftstreitkräfte .

Just kidding of course, I really like Austria, its beautiful landscapes and its aircraft 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes an absolute perfect model. The weathering looks very realistic. Nothing is overdone. The landing gear doors are spot on with these dirt marks. You have a perfect eye for details! Very nice!

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 1