1/32 Roden Fokker Dr.I - Here's one I made earlier

More precisely, here's one I started making around 14-15 years ago. It sat in the stash about a third finished until I pulled it out earlier this year, opened the Windsock Datafile on the Fokker Dr.I and spotted the colour profile of this aeroplane. It represents a Jasta 11 machine at Lechelle airfield in March 1918. The colour of the rear fuselage is speculative and, according to the Datafile, could equally be pale yellow. I liked the simplicity of Fokker turquoise so went with that option.

The kit is the Roden 1/32nd Fokker Dr.I, built mainly from the box but with the addition of leading edge stacking pads and rivets around the cowling, both done with a punch and die, under-fuselage stitching made from small pieces of stretched sprue, and lead foil seatbelts with buckles from plastic card and some old etched brass from a Flightpath (I think) generic buckle set. The rigging and control lines are done with INFINI Model 1/32 Aero Black Rigging and Albion Alloys TB2 turnbuckles. Markings are a combination of the kit decals (many of which disintegrated in water and had to be pieced back together on the model) for the data placard, propeller logos and national markings, and masking for the pilot's personal markings on the rear fuselage. The bicycle is from the Tamiya 1/35 German bike riders set, as is the slightly modified figure, with a few uniform changes to make him look a 'little' more World War One. He's far from accurate but works quite well I think. The Alsatian was gifted to me many years ago by a fellow modeller when I originally set out to do this vignette. The barrels are solid resin but I have no idea of the manufacturer. Paints are Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo acrylics for external colours, and Humbrol enamels for details. The groundwork is done with Wilko brown wood filler, kitty litter and some fine railway ballast, all fixed into place with Johnson Kleer then painted, washed and dry-brushed. The grass is Jordan scatter fixed with diluted PVA, and the weeds are Heki moss. The groundwork was then flat-coated once the other fixed elements were glued into place.

y4muVLdmxOg2LFlJI6nBGyd5R3nK66ykDoWU6-0Q

y4msYS15FNlWdyyMVryZAon_M6d3iQK39VB6WPAx

y4mRpUefVD7SKiVx37KwqEnf7qnTL1ujSHMImCKF

y4moq1rA_V9jN0KYFSngbL7KMSzMFMQ--LkEJpC4

y4muDbmPH-LUi_xL1jFkGKY2FelYkudY-mel2khs

y4mhrV6xINvsTqI_txsnJV-Yz84BiueplrQRGbAI

y4maiSU31JENxaW7QnnLlDjX9thQJ1svTJuVYDL9

y4mnFXDuczFZ-U0VkI92DqpEsvcy5n1TyFe72P6G

y4m49FwrXy1k7_WJLdM8pP4B0l3lQAQf5ca--IVU

y4ma80IZPAg9NsfPYcgxKTVBHvXMklf7obwNnTIG

y4m3SIOpWSIvLw7u9cMVLSNaKjVHfMQQrmUVU7Pb

y4mA2u2RT2VjINYWhVO6PyCwnt7Fn7vNDG37hdhP

y4mynzvKoRyCw3OrwtkYDuP_SudPKQHoiVO3BSiz

y4mwb29kNgq678VsG1vmWMvL9__OPrWybGs0DYJw

y4mcs4Qq-CdCH59d8C4eJZCgkOrx6YEkdybMIMrf

y4mQF6g9B9rEPSp4x8hLvCEd4Og6wGH6mb2Uk6ip

The vignette itself may not be accurate but it does look good in the case and it saves another model from the shelf of doom. Hope you like it.

Cheers, Jeff

• Like 16

That's really lovely, Jeff -

Good modelling all round including your diorama.   Assembled with care, Roden make a great kit as proved by yourself.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1